Dinner from dining room in cabin?

oceanlov1

Yes. You need to order during a specified window and tell them the delivery time. Unless you are in a high end suite, your meal will be delivered all at once. Basically, you don't want to order ice cream for dessert.

This may be a dumb question but are passengers provided a printed copy of the menu for they day or do you have to go somewhere to view it? I've sailed on other lines before and HAL once, but I don't ever recall getting a daily menu.

Neptune Suite guests get a printed copy daily. On the ships with updated interactive TVs, it on the in room television. Otherwise, it's posted at the MDR entrance each morning.

This may be a dumb question but are passengers provided a printed copy of the menu for they day or do you have to go somewhere to view it? I've sailed on other lines before and HAL once, but I don't ever recall getting a daily menu.

Neptune Suite guests get a printed copy daily. On the ships with updated interactive TVs, it on the in room television. Otherwise, it's posted at the MDR entrance each morning.

The evening menu is also available at the lounges by at least early afternoon.

The Lido evening menu is posted outside the Lido by later morning, too. Nice, sometimes, to compare them---just in case.

I hate to say this, but when I was on the Zuiderdam February 15-25 I was interested in doing this, as I had done it before. However, I couldn't recall what the time frame was when it was necessary to place the order. I went to the front desk to inquire and was told I could not have main dining room dinner in my room. I told the woman at the desk that I had done it before, so she said she would ask another one of the employees who had been there longer. She did so, and came back to me and said I could not have main dining room dinner in my room. Actually, they both looked at me like I was from Mars, like they had never heard of this before. So I gave up!

The "Navigator" via the HAL wifi on board also has the menus posted

We take a picture of the MDR menu with our phones (or a camera if we have that at hand) so we can think about what we'd like & then, after the MDR is open, call AYS & request what you'd like & when you'd like it delivered.

I hate to say this, but when I was on the Zuiderdam February 15-25 I was interested in doing this, as I had done it before. However, I couldn't recall what the time frame was when it was necessary to place the order. I went to the front desk to inquire and was told I could not have main dining room dinner in my room. I told the woman at the desk that I had done it before, so she said she would ask another one of the employees who had been there longer. She did so, and came back to me and said I could not have main dining room dinner in my room. Actually, they both looked at me like I was from Mars, like they had never heard of this before. So I gave up!

What a shame! That's always been a nice thing about HAL--you don't have to be in a suite to get a good dinner. Did you try just calling room service to see if they would do it?

We were in a Neptune Suite on the cruise after yours, and did manage to have dinner on the balcony one night. On last year's cruise, I called to order dinner and ordered mains and salads for one time and dessert and coffee for an hour later. That worked fine. This year, the separate requests seemed to confuse room service. They took the order for mains and then said to call later for dessert. When the waiter showed up with the mains, he was surprised that we hadn't ordered starters or dessert. I explained that the starters hadn't appealed to us, and we had been asked to order dessert later. He took our dessert order and said he'd be back with it at the requested time, which he was.

I eoulf dduggrdsgty you eould hvr doner much etter to spek with MDR staff(MDR Manager or Asst.. they wouuld be more familiar with such or to call Room Servic e and ask.

To the poster who was told by the front desk that MDR meals aren't available from room service: Try to remember that you're on a big ship with many employees in many departments. Not everyone is going to know everything. In this case, checking with room service or the MDR might have gotten you the answer you were seeking.

While the front desk is good at answering "front desk questions" about billing and whatnot, the dining departments have a much better handle on dining questions. Same thing applies to beverage service and other departments.

In the words of Commander Peter Quincy Taggart, "Never Give Up. Never Surrender!"

Unless we were in a suite (not likely ever) I can't imagine trying to eat a full dinner in the cabin. We've done room service lunch sandwiches in cabin (on RCCL but principle applies) and it was terribly cramped and eating off the little, low, coffee table was really awkward not to mention pretty cramped in the cabin. Ditto for balcony. The whole concept just does not hold much appeal for us compared to MDR but perhaps I'm missing something about it. :confused:

I eoulf dduggrdsgty you eould hvr doner much etter to spek with MDR staff(MDR Manager or Asst.. they wouuld be more familiar with such or to call Room Servic e and ask.

Sorry, this gibberish is supposed to say: I would suggest yousmight havve done better to speak wit hMain dining Room manager/ Asst. o r call Room Service and ask.

Unless we were in a suite (not likely ever) I can't imagine trying to eat a full dinner in the cabin. We've done room service lunch sandwiches in cabin (on RCCL but principle applies) and it was terribly cramped and eating off the little, low, coffee table was really awkward not to mention pretty cramped in the cabin. Ditto for balcony. The whole concept just does not hold much appeal for us compared to MDR but perhaps I'm missing something about it. :confused:

We actually will be in a suite, but even when we aren't we just typically prefer to dine in our room on occasion. Our ideal vacation is to have someone take us somewhere, bring us food, and let us spend the time together that we don't typically get to during our normal work week life. Spending an hour or two dining with someone else just isn't our thing and a two-top is never a guarantee. We also prefer that our vacations are completely unscheduled, so dining times just don't fit our (lack of) plan. We're the people that will take a 2 week driving trip with no particular destination in mind and just follow whichever road looks interesting at the time and then turn around and head back in the direction we came from at the halfway mark. Or not.

That's the beauty of a cruise - if you are the type that loves to join in and meet new people, it's perfect for you. If you prefer to stay in your room or sun on your balcony and slip off to the spa, it's perfect for you.

Different strokes and all that.

(And just so I don't put off the wrong impression - we aren't antisocial. In fact, we live in a Del Webb retirement community (not yet retired) and love it because it is so social. But vacations are different for us. It's alone time, not join in time)

We actually will be in a suite, but even when we aren't we just typically prefer to dine in our room on occasion. Our ideal vacation is to have someone take us somewhere, bring us food, and let us spend the time together that we don't typically get to during our normal work week life. Spending an hour or two dining with someone else just isn't our thing and a two-top is never a guarantee. We also prefer that our vacations are completely unscheduled, so dining times just don't fit our (lack of) plan. We're the people that will take a 2 week driving trip with no particular destination in mind and just follow whichever road looks interesting at the time and then turn around and head back in the direction we came from at the halfway mark. Or not.

That's the beauty of a cruise - if you are the type that loves to join in and meet new people, it's perfect for you. If you prefer to stay in your room or sun on your balcony and slip off to the spa, it's perfect for you.

Different strokes and all that.

(And just so I don't put off the wrong impression - we aren't antisocial. In fact, we live in a Del Webb retirement community (not yet retired) and love it because it is so social. But vacations are different for us. It's alone time, not join in time)

If you are new to HAL, be sure you are clear as to your ;suite. t nOT LL 'suites' are the same or have same amenities. Can be c onfusing iff you are not familier with each cruise line language.

Edited by sail7seas

Regardless of cabin category, sometimes being all cozy and enoying each other's company, while eating in one's bathrobe and watching a movie, just cannot be beat. :D

Regardless of cabin category, sometimes being all cozy and enoying each other's company, while eating in one's bathrobe and watching a movie, just cannot be beat. :D

I agree!! And we don't mind carrying each course out to the verandah either, it's worth it for the ambiance. :):)

On many of the pre-updated ships, you can raise your in-room coffee table to dining height.

I had never realized it until we took my dad on a cruise on Maasdam back in 1999. We walked into his room and saw a tall coffee table. He's a very handy guy and a former Marine. I don't know if if it was handy guy instinct or military experience, but he knew how to jack up the table. DW and I have been doing it for room service breakfast.

Sadly, the Eurodam, post drydock, has tables that don't rise. They're also rimmed in dark metal vs light wood. The new tables are stylish, but much harder to see in the dark. (If you stay out late, they can bite your calves when you use the bathroom in the middle of the night.)

I agree!! And we don't mind carrying each course out to the verandah either, it's worth it for the ambiance. :):)

Totally agree;):D

What a shame! That's always been a nice thing about HAL--you don't have to be in a suite to get a good dinner. Did you try just calling room service to see if they would do it?

We were in a Neptune Suite on the cruise after yours, and did manage to have dinner on the balcony one night. On last year's cruise, I called to order dinner and ordered mains and salads for one time and dessert and coffee for an hour later. That worked fine. This year, the separate requests seemed to confuse room service. They took the order for mains and then said to call later for dessert. When the waiter showed up with the mains, he was surprised that we hadn't ordered starters or dessert. I explained that the starters hadn't appealed to us, and we had been asked to order dessert later. He took our dessert order and said he'd be back with it at the requested time, which he was.

I'm thinking the stewards who handle these kinds of deliveries may be a special set, Last week on Oosterdam we ordered steaks from the PG. The steward told us if we had told them we were dining on the balcony, he would have brought a table cloth and set the table.

On many of the pre-updated ships, you can raise your in-room coffee table to dining height.

I had never realized it until we took my dad on a cruise on Maasdam back in 1999. We walked into his room and saw a tall coffee table. He's a very handy guy and a former Marine. I don't know if if it was handy guy instinct or military experience, but he knew how to jack up the table. DW and I have been doing it for room service breakfast.

Sadly, the Eurodam, post drydock, has tables that don't rise. They're also rimmed in dark metal vs light wood. The new tables are stylish, but much harder to see in the dark. (If you stay out late, they can bite your calves when you use the bathroom in the middle of the night.)

We brought a three pack of small LED plug in night lights. Strongly recommend.

We share a similar outlook. We were considering a Florida retirement and would probably have purchased at Del Webb, Then we found a wonderful house just across the street from a wonderful country club. To be honest, it would be very simple to tour the Del Webb facility near Ocala. We discussed but have not visited since we think it just might be too tempting. We can be a bit impulsive.

We love dining as you've described. We usually do 2-4 dinners on our balcon

Suggest you check out the aft wrap SB suites especially those on deck five of the Vista class. Simply perfect for dinners.

We built a 'lanai' over looking the ninth hole and club house. We have most of our dinners there once the temp is above 65. We will probably do more breakfasts there too. (I just had shoulder repair today and will not be playing much golf for 2-3 months.)

We actually considering just ordering from those delivery services for a week, a 'staycruise' if you will.

Holland is just about the best cruise line fo dining as you describe.