Transatlantic Cruise will I be Bored

caddion

Hi everyone, I'm considering a transatlantic cruise on the Royal Princess on the 9th Sept 2018 and was wondering what other peoples experiences have been on a cruise with a few sea days in a row.

It must be hard to keep everyone entertained for so long or do most people just sit around the bars or pool?

I was also going to ask about the Royal Princess handling rough weather but I guess it is all subjective but if anyone wants to comment go ahead.

Thanks for any replies.

http://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.do?voyageCode=1823B

Edited by caddion
Added link to cruise

Love sea days. We might join activities or not. We bring some reading material, I bring some crocheting. Some cruises never touched my yarn, one cruise I made 2 baby blankets.

Many days it seems we do nothing but we're never bored.

There is so much to do you'll have trouble choosing between activities and wish there were more than 24 hours in a day. OR you learn to luxuriate in the opportunity to switch off from the outside world. Read the Patter every evening before bed, plan the next day and enjoy!

A transat cruiseis a true vacation .I choose to laze in the morning with room service coffee and light breakfast ?I take it easy and head out mid morning .....join activities as they tempt me ...no rush to go or get somewhere .Often there is trivia in the morning or afternoon .Tanning and reading are options in the pm after lunch either at buffet or restaurant .A nap in pm prepares for lovely dinner and show later on .Like I said no rush ...you can do as little or as much as you like .....

I really enjoy the seadays ......just do what pleases you ..

I was never bored .....i enjoyed watching the sea from my balcony as well

Go have a real relaxing holiday

Michele

Hi everyone, I'm considering a transatlantic cruise on the Royal Princess on the 9th Sept 2018 and was wondering what other peoples experiences have been on a cruise with a few sea days in a row.

It must be hard to keep everyone entertained for so long or do most people just sit around the bars or pool?

I was also going to ask about the Royal Princess handling rough weather but I guess it is all subjective but if anyone wants to comment go ahead.

Thanks for any replies.

www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.do?voyageCode=1823B

In 2015 we sailed on the Grand Princess to Hawaii. One day the seas were on the rough side (to me). When I went to the back of the ship at about 2 pm for Hula lessons I felt it more and had to leave to go to my cabin. Stayed there the rest of the afternoon and early evening. Fast forward a little to two months later. We went on a TA on the Royal. One day when I looked outside the seas seemed just as rough as when I was on the Grand. I was fine. I heard that the Royal, not only being larger, also has better stabilizers. That might be the reason. When I looked for a TA this spring I checked the Royal first.

There is so much to do you'll have trouble choosing between activities and wish there were more than 24 hours in a day.

On a westbound TA, most days do have more than 24 hours in a day. :-) We are on Regal's this September, 5 days/6 nights for the crossing with an hour fall back time change on five of the six nights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think there are people who love sea days and people who hate sea days. I am ok with them as long as there aren't more than 2 in a row.....You have to decide which type of person you are? Since you have a small number of posts....I hope this isn't a first cruise? I think that would be a mistake until you see "how" you like to cruise. We mostly cruise for the ports. Others cruise just to chill out on the ship. :cool:

I love sea days and transatlantic cruises and for me, port after port is just too hectic. Sometimes I think people that are constantly on the move with their regular routine might have a problem with all the sea days.

I think there are more than enough activities on a transatlantic for the must be busy types, and plenty of places to find a quiet spot for those activities.

I've cruised the Atlantic, Pacific many times, had wonderful weather, also not so much, can't predict it. I would not take a transatlantic for a first cruise although I've met people onboard who have. My 3rd cruise years ago was a transatlantic because I didn't care for shorter cruises.

Transatlantics with the northern route , and ending in New York, have less sea days in a row than the ones ending in Ft. Lauderdale.However, the sea is rougher on those northern routes. We do transatlantics once a year (sometimes going to Europe, sometimes back) .Never bored. Always lots of activities and speakers. The Royal and Regal have Movies on demand in the cabin. So if you find yourself bored, can always watch a movie.

I can read for hours. I never get bored on sea days. Our next cruise is 28 days and 18 of those are sea days. I know people who could "maybe" handle a 5 day cruise but even on one that short they might start to freak out because they "need to be doing something" all the time. For them our next cruise would be a nightmare. For me I don't anticipate any problem at all. People are all different.

Transatlantics with the northern route , and ending in New York, have less sea days in a row than the ones ending in Ft. Lauderdale.However, the sea is rougher on those northern routes. We do transatlantics once a year (sometimes going to Europe, sometimes back) .Never bored. Always lots of activities and speakers. The Royal and Regal have Movies on demand in the cabin. So if you find yourself bored, can always watch a movie.

Our crossings have been more southern routes via the Azores & Madeira to/from Ft Lauderdale. On our only North Atlantic crossing it was scheduled to go from Halifax to Cobh but it was rerouted south via the Azores to Cobh due to a storm.

I agree with you & others that we're never bored during relaxing sea days & whenever sea conditions are forecasted to be bad they can change the route.

Never been on a TA but hope to someday. I would think as long as you kept to a schedule you shouldn't die of boredom.

There were so many things to do on our transatlantic & transpacific cruises that having sufficient events isn't usually the problem but sometimes schedules conflict & it's impossible to do everything. ;)

It's enjoyable for us to not have to set an alarm for a busy day in port & to have the option to participate in many activities or none at all. The beauty of the sea reading a good book, exercising, watching movies or attending enrichment talks are some of our preferred activities & is why we're never bored.

Sea days are not for everyone but it's a great way for us to escape completely. :D

Thanks for all the replies. I'm trying to shorten my shortlist but I think I'll keep the TA near the top it sounds like my sort of cruise.

I've been on two other cruises, the last one a couple of years ago was on the Dawn Princess and we had two sea days in a row which I thought were great for all the reasons listed here and it sounds like a couple more are no problem

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've done 3 TA cruises and I can't say I was ever bored. Always something to do. My problem is I get stir crazy for more than 200sq ft of personal space, more TV channels than 6 and fast internet without counting minutes. Also a good grilled cheese sandwich instead of dressing for dinner is all I want some nights. Weather has never been an issue on our crossings and we decided we like going west better than going east. You get that long flight over with first thing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for any replies.

www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.do?voyageCode=1823B

It all depends on what you like , if you are a pool person then it can get boring.

My first cruise 10 years ago was a 9 day out of NYC (Bermuda/Bahamas) with 5 sea days. We enjoyed the sea days as a chance to relax. Our upcoming April cruise is a 17 day repositioning which will have 9 sea days, 7 of which are in a row. I like the idea of a repositioning cruises that involve a transatlantic portion ... you get the relaxing benefit of a TA combined with the excitement of the cruise portion.

I guess I'll know by the end of this cruise if TA's are for me or not.