Reservations for Crown Grill First Night

grak

How difficult is it to make/get reservations for an early dinner (Crown Grill) the first evening of the Cruise? It's part of the complimentary perk so I would imagine there are quite a few people attending. We can't get on the ship early. We are Platinum....would that help? (CARRIBEAN PRINCESS)

How difficult is it to make/get reservations for an early dinner (Crown Grill) the first evening of the Cruise? It's part of the complimentary perk so I would imagine there are quite a few people attending. We can't get on the ship early. We are Platinum....would that help? (CARRIBEAN PRINCESS)

First night is the night that suites get a freebie, so some tables will be held back for suite passengers.

If you have the complimentary perk, there'll be a card in the cabin with an assigned date/time/restaurant. If you want to change any of it, you have to call the dine line (very busy) or go to the specialty restaurant listed in the Patter that is making reservations and change the assigned date/time/restaurant there.

Platinum won't help, except that it gets you on the ship after suites/elites and before the "masses". :cool:

BTW: how early is early? We made the mistake of eating in the CG before the ship left port (late departure in Honolulu) and were charged the local tax.

So If I am in a suite; there will be a card there stating my dinner time at Crown Grill on 1st night?

Sometimes there is sometimes not. There have been comments on it both ways.

We have received the card upon arrival with the date/time. Another time there was no card and we went to the CG to sort it out.

We ate at the Crowne Grill last week for both formal nights and the place was packed both nights unlike the preceding two years. We chose 6:30 and had to go in person since the as usual nobody answered the DINE line on embarkation day, and we were among the first wave to embark. I tried calling a couple times around 11:45 am. Nothing.

Went in person before noon and it was wide open for booking.

Your being Platinum won't help unless you take advantage of priority embarkation, but you've already said that you can't get to the ship early. I think Princess will be taking online reservations in the near future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Run don't walk when you board.

I think Princess will be taking online reservations in the near future.

Princess is experimenting with pre-cruise specialty restaurtant reservations using the personalizer.

As any such reservations must be paid for with a credit card when made, this does not apply to those who have a free specialty dining voucher which is the case when it is an amenity as part of a booking or for being in a suite.

Just get to the port as early as possible that way you will be in one of the first groups after suites/elites etc.

Once onboard go straight to the CG see the manager to make a res.

I also think this is the best way to do it.

Tony

So If I am in a suite; there will be a card there stating my dinner time at Crown Grill on 1st night?

We have been in suites many times and we were never assigned a time. We were able to choose between Sabatinis or Crown Grill. After dropping off our hand luggage in the cabin, we just went to whichever one we chose and reserved a time.

When we got the call, we just told them we had already taken care of booking a time.

In my booking it says: SPECIALTY RESTAURANT COVER CHARGE

Message: "PRINCESS CRUISES" May 13, 2017 $34.00 Compliments Of for Jamie: Complimentary Gift

The gift is not redeemable for cash and expires at the end of the voyage.

We set sail on 5/13 but I am guessing we do not have to use it on 5/13

We have been in suites many times and we were never assigned a time. We were able to choose between Sabatinis or Crown Grill. After dropping off our hand luggage in the cabin, we just went to whichever one we chose and reserved a time.

When we got the call, we just told them we had already taken care of booking a time.

Thanks, l am on Emerald and my reservation says 1st night in Crown Grill. So I will get onboard and see if there is anything in my suite; if not I can walk down to Crown Grill. Appreciate your feedback

From our experience, the only night Crown Grill isn't as busy is the first night, with the exception of Suite pax who eat there for free the first night. Whether that proves true on your sailing or not, my best advice is to call the DINE line as soon as you board to ensure you get a res. Be prepared to sit on hold for up to 20 min if it's early in the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Would 9pm be more available, would you think ? We're late eaters especially on embarkation day and we're not in a suit but it's our 30th wedding anniversary and we'd like to do a special meal

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On our last cruise it was packed around that hour. We were in the Wheelhouse listening to music and noticed how crowded the CG was even until 10 pm. Whenever we try to reserve a specific time, i.e., 7:00, they'll usually counter with 6:30 or 7:30 (or whatever time they have available). It is different on different ships. Sometimes we ask for 8:00 and get 8:00. Sometimes we ask for 7:30 and are offered 6:45. It really can vary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It probably depends upon the itinerary but a couple of years ago we were in a suite and called to book an early embarkation night dinner at the CG. The response was that the only times available were 8:30 or later. When I reminded them that we were in a full suite, miraculously we were able to make a reservation at 6:30.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In my booking it says: SPECIALTY RESTAURANT COVER CHARGE

Message: "PRINCESS CRUISES" May 13, 2017 $34.00 Compliments Of for Jamie: Complimentary Gift

The gift is not redeemable for cash and expires at the end of the voyage.

We set sail on 5/13 but I am guessing we do not have to use it on 5/13

First time I have seen that price.

First time I have seen that price.

Seems as if on ships with CG and Share that is the average price they show as one hasn't selected which of the two restaurants. CG is $29 and Share is $39 (I'm presuming $10 is the royalty paid to Curtis Stone) thus the average of $34.

Check your Cruise Personaliser. We have a couple of cruises coming up and suddenly today there was an extra heading for Specialty Dining Reservations in both of them. You might be able to prebook.

Just saw on ours too for our Crown & CB! Great!