Looking for reassurance!

We are sailing in July on the Crown Princess and I have been reading the reviews and have to say that it has really shaken me. We are going to be on our honeymoon and this is our first cruise so really don't know what to expect but it is starting to look like a very expensive trip with rude staff and shabby rooms and being harassed by hard sell from everyone.......please tell me its not true?

We are sailing in July on the Crown Princess and I have been reading the reviews and have to say that it has really shaken me. We are going to be on our honeymoon and this is our first cruise so really don't know what to expect but it is starting to look like a very expensive trip with rude staff and shabby rooms and being harassed by hard sell from everyone.......please tell me its not true?

We have sailed the Crown many times and take reviews with a grain of salt. We love the Crown.

It's amazing how many times I have seen someone sailing on the same cruise as a bad review and have an absolute fantastic time and experience none of the bad things brought up in the review.

We have sailed the Crown many times and take reviews with a grain of salt. We love the Crown.

It's amazing how many times I have seen someone sailing on the same cruise as a bad review and have an absolute fantastic time and experience none of the bad things brought up in the review.

+1

If we based our cruising on reviews we would have missed out on many great experiences including on the Crown.

Have a great honeymoon cruise because what you've read about the Crown is not true!

I pay very little attention to bad reviews, except to occasionally shake my head in disbelief. We had an Alaskan cruise on the Crown and loved every minute. I firmly believe a cruise is what you make it. A cruise on the Mediterranean for your honeymoon sounds wonderful. Don't cancel your booking!! :)

I was reading a bad review on a hotel on another site. I then noticed that this was the poster's third review.

Curious, I clicked on his name to see his other reviews and all three were bad. Like the only time he had something to say was when he had something bad to say.

So take what you read with a grain of salt.

I've been on several Princess ships (not the Crown) and have NEVER seen what I would even remotely call a 'shabby' room.

Will people try to sell you something? Yes. Just say No Thank You. On the pool deck when a waiter comes around.... Don't want anything? Just gently shake your head no. (But keep in mind they will also bring you water and iced tea at no cost.)

Have fixed dining? Not happy with your wait staff? Talk to the head waiter about changing tables.

The Med is a wonderful destination. And there is tons of information on this forum for most, if not all, ports of call.

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials and relax and enjoy.

Don't worry about the hard sell. It's not really that hard except on the first day, and it usually happens in the buffet while you're eating, and a simple no thank you and a smile is all it takes.

Basically, they try to promote the all inclusive drink packages, wine tastings or specialty restaurants. Beyond that, it doesn't happen e ship much. You will be off the ship at least 50% of the time, so you will probably encounter less upselling than those who are on Caribbean itineraries. It is your honeymoon. It is a cruise!! It will all be great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As said, a simple "no thanks" is all you need to do & I've never experienced any hard sell in dozens of Princess cruises. :)

I've read more posts recently that said just the opposite & they were disappointed that they weren't offered drinks often enough...it's not easy to keep everyone happy. ;)

Just say "NO" politely but with feeling. If the hassle continues take a name and report to the Hotel Manager. He/she wants happy cruisers and will do something about it.

Would it be more appropriate to report it to the Food & Beverage manager?

We're booked on the Crown to the Baltics in July and I have no worries. We have taken several Princess cruises, although this will be our first time on the Crown. Every one of them has been a wonderful experience, with kind and concerned and helpful crew. As stated in other answers, the "hard sell" is usually the first day to try and sell drink or photo packages, but all you have to do is say no. Kind of like walking through the perfume section of a big department store--smile, say "no thank you", and keep moving. Focus on creating beautiful memories of your honeymoon and you'll soon find yourself planning cruise #2!

Don't worry yourself. You are going to be so pleasantly surprised and blown away by the ship, staff, service and everything a cruise has to offer.

You'll be talking about booking your next cruise before you finish your first, I'm sure of it.

Congratulations and have a wonderful time!

While I can't specifically speak for Princess as it's been a long time since I've sailed with them, but will again shortly, I'm guessing you have nothing to worry about. From my experience across most of the cruise lines, none of the biggest complaints I've read about ever came true for me. Keep in mind that some people have different tolerances for a variety of things that can go wrong. In fact, the only time I was in sync with some of the reviews was when it came to the condition of one of Holland America's ships just before she went into dry dock b it didn't ruin the cruise, but the wear and tear was noticeable. Even so, sailed her again six months later after her dry dock and it was an equally enjoyable cruise.

It is common for some to complain about anything and everything they are also the ones that tend to be very vocal. The passengers that have a great time tend not to be so vocal, but as a dedicated Princess passenger I can say I have never had a bad cruise with them. Some have been amazing and some not as good but never a bad one. The staff treat you as you treat them so always be polite they work hard to give you that amazing cruise.

So go with an expectation of great cruise and that is what you will have a great cruise. Congratulations by the way in advance :)

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my "wobble", I have never cruised before and apart from buying a car this is the biggest expenditure I have ever paid in one go (it felt like giving birth!) so when I then read some of the reviews I panicked!

I dont normally take much notice of bad reviews unless the same issues keep coming up but I think in my head my honeymoon is so long awaited and so looked forward to and the most expensive thing we have purchased I guess my expectations were rocked by the bad reviews and I started to take them seriously. I can honestly say you have all reassured me and I cant thank you enough. I am so happy again and have started looking at my countdown clock again!.......as for the cruise next year, I am very lucky that the parents in law to be have already booked us on the Britannia next July! :) :) :)

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my "wobble", I have never cruised before and apart from buying a car this is the biggest expenditure I have ever paid in one go (it felt like giving birth!) so when I then read some of the reviews I panicked!

I dont normally take much notice of bad reviews unless the same issues keep coming up but I think in my head my honeymoon is so long awaited and so looked forward to and the most expensive thing we have purchased I guess my expectations were rocked by the bad reviews and I started to take them seriously. I can honestly say you have all reassured me and I cant thank you enough. I am so happy again and have started looking at my countdown clock again!.......as for the cruise next year, I am very lucky that the parents in law to be have already booked us on the Britannia next July! :) :) :)

OP, it's not true. The Crown is a very nice ship with a wonderful crew! Can I offer one piece of advice though? Don't expect everything to be perfect. Part of traveling is being able to roll with the punches. Be flexible, realistic and have a FANTASTIC honeymoon! Best wishes! :)

Don't worry about the hard sell. It's not really that hard except on the first day, and it usually happens in the buffet while you're eating, and a simple no thank you and a smile is all it takes.

Basically, they try to promote the all inclusive drink packages, wine tastings or specialty restaurants. Beyond that, it doesn't happen e ship much. You will be off the ship at least 50% of the time, so you will probably encounter less upselling than those who are on Caribbean itineraries. It is your honeymoon. It is a cruise!! It will all be great.

Easy way to avoid that...don't eat in the buffet on the first day. We always do lunch in the MDR. Great way to start the cruise.

Hello,

The people on Cruise Critic represent a very small percentage of cruisers and there are many here that just like to complain about everything and anything and they throw around their "status" as how many cruises they have done like it makes a difference to anyone. They love to pick nits.

Please do continue with your cruise and have a look on youtube for Crown videos. You will be pleasantly surprised at the level and quality of customer service and choices for food 24/7. Enjoy your honeymoon and we wish you a long happy life! Try not to over worry!

Hello,

The people on Cruise Critic represent a very small percentage of cruisers and there are many here that just like to complain about everything and anything and they throw around their "status" as how many cruises they have done like it makes a difference to anyone. They love to pick nits.

Please do continue with your cruise and have a look on youtube for Crown videos. You will be pleasantly surprised at the level and quality of customer service and choices for food 24/7. Enjoy your honeymoon and we wish you a long happy life! Try not to over worry!

Nit pickers are based more on a passenger's personality than on their Captain's Circle level.

Easy way to avoid that...don't eat in the buffet on the first day. We always do lunch in the MDR. Great way to start the cruise.

But we specifically cruised the Regal for the buffet, since we love it. We were there very early before many had even boarded since we had priority boarding. We've had the sales pitch in the MDR too on many ships in the past. This past trip the sales pitch was at the Elite wine tasting, the buffet, and even the Crown Grill. They were all trying to promote the Tuscan Dinner with wine tasting for $60 pp for Sabatinis and also an upgraded wine tasting .... also, Crab Shack was heavily promoted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Wobble"; I love the expression for hesitation.

That aside, we live in a society of overly critical people who have the bully pulpit of the Internet and various ratings and review sites available to them who are more than happy to be negative, even if their negative view isn't really justified. I take all negative reviews anyplace online with a grain of salt. About the only thing I take seriously in the review area is restaurant sanitation ratings conducted by the county health department. That isn't generally subjective.

Princess is a wonderful line. On embarkation day there is quite a bit of selling. After that, almost nothing, aside from the art sales, which just avoid, and the port shopping guides, again use only if interested. I'm a little jaded here as I don't vacation to buy stuff, I vacation to relax and see destinations. Determine what you want to buy and what you have no interest in long before you get on board and then take appropriate action when you get there. I've never been hard sold before on Princess. We typically get Soda & More packages, my wife is a pretty big pop drinker and I don't like getting nickeled and dimed for pop. We also get a coffee card. We usually buy those within minutes of getting on board.

And whatever you do, don't ask the staff on board about lunch, they will always point you to the HC. Eating lunch in the DR is much more pleasant than the cattle call at the buffet, and it is usually a zoo. Just go looking for a dining room door that is propped open and you have probably found you embarkation lunch location. Be aware that in my experience embarkation day dining room lunch usually ends at 1:30, so if you aren't on board and have dropped off your carry ons in your cabin by then, your next best stop for lunch will be the International Cafe.

Your honeymoon is for you two; focus on your own relaxation and enjoyment and the rest of the cruise will be just that way.

I always heard that honeymooners on a cruise never come out of their cabin anyway, right? :evilsmile:

Most cruise lines try to please most people most of the time - and they succceed. As someone else said, just remember certain things may not be exactly as you would want them but you have to remember you are on a ship in the middle of the sea!! Some people take pleasure in taking photo's of the rust that has somehow ruined their trip..

You will have a fantastic time, we did our first Princess cruise on the Star last October and we are on the Crown in 3 weeks so I'll let you know how she's doing:D