Change in NCL Platinum Latitudes benefits

dollyrox

I do not think the gratuities for the UBP and UDP were ever listed as a suite perk. They were just a long standing promo that ran its course. We still receive the same perks for suites we received 10 years ago in the suites we have sailed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You do received the same perks you did 10 years ago, but, up until approx June 6, 2017- If you booked a Suite on NCL , you received all the promotions and Beverage and Dining promos with the additional 18% gratuity included. Suites booked after June 6, 2017, are charged the additional 18% for each promotion in additional to usual fare and taxes.

Now, you can select which promos you want as the Beverage promo can add hundreds to final fare. Many non drinkers were not happy paying hundreds more just because the promo was included with Suite perks.

You do received the same perks you did 10 years ago, but, up until approx June 6, 2017- If you booked a Suite on NCL , you received all the promotions and Beverage and Dining promos with the additional 18% gratuity included. Suites booked after June 6, 2017, are charged the additional 18% for each promotion in additional to usual fare and taxes.

Now, you can select which promos you want as the Beverage promo can add hundreds to final fare. Many non drinkers were not happy paying hundreds more just because the promo was included with Suite perks.

The point I am trying to make here is that suite perks have nothing to do with platinum or platinum plus perks. This thread started about latitudes. I think when posters respond to a thread, unless they stay on topic it causes a lot of confusion.

The point I am trying to make here is that suite perks have nothing to do with platinum or platinum plus perks. This thread started about latitudes. I think when posters respond to a thread, unless they stay on topic it causes a lot of confusion.

Touché! Great point, sorry for the confusion.

Too bad NCL could not even keep the 4 piece box. It really could not have cost them that much ... and now adding the payment of gratuities for Suite Perks to fare, :mad: I guess there was not much backlash. With removal of Suite amenities we had in the past, the decision of continuing to sail Suites is no longer our first choice. I think NCL is trying to see where the threshold or pushback from their loyal Suite guests will be.

After paying $10K for a suite a $200 gratuity is going to sway you from booking. Not credible.

No way will I take out my frustration on the crew and staff.

totally agree, plus I see very little difference in the perks one line gives compared to another. One may give a little more to frequent guests and another line a little less. I also do not understand the nickel and diming complaint and it has been going on way prior to the new management. :confused:

totally agree, plus I see very little difference in the perks one line gives compared to another. One may give a little more to frequent guests and another line a little less. I also do not understand the nickel and diming complaint and it has been going on way prior to the new management. :confused:

Not true

Under Sheehan

All passengers received the UBP & Real UDP with no 18%

All passengers 3-8 were free

Daily tips remained the same (2 or 3 increases under FDR)

Fireworks

Free room service

Nickelodean (I have no kids but I did enjoy watching people get slimed)

FDR has only upped prices, added a bunch of useless fees, made cuts to CAS, Higher tiers lost OBC, limit on booked cruises, higher upgrade prices,

downgraded perks (with the exception of Latitudes, I actually see that as the only bone he has tossed passengers)

I will go on to say I think NCL was better for the passengers under Sheehan and it not about nickel and diming, it is dollars and hundreds.

No way will I take out my frustration on the crew and staff.

A former officer who posts here has said the DSC is handled as a revenue stream. The crew members are guaranteed a mimimun amount, and the DSC is distributed fleetwide at management discretion, so deleting the DSC has little if any impact on the salaries of crew members.

I believe the crew members are more likely to benefit from cash tips than the DSC.

A former officer who posts here has said the DSC is handled as a revenue stream. The crew members are guaranteed a mimimun amount, and the DSC is distributed fleetwide at management discretion, so deleting the DSC has little if any impact on the salaries of crew members.

I believe the crew members are more likely to benefit from cash tips than the DSC.

Perhaps the ones that you tip, but some of that service charge money goes to crew members that you may never see. There have been posts from former employees of cruise lines here on cc. Most cruise lines do pay a minimum salary, but I seem to remember that the distribution usually increases the income of the staff and crew. Of course, different cruise lines may handle this differently.

Perhaps the ones that you tip, but some of that service charge money goes to crew members that you may never see. There have been posts from former employees of cruise lines here on cc. Most cruise lines do pay a minimum salary, but I seem to remember that the distribution usually increases the income of the staff and crew. Of course, different cruise lines may handle this differently.

NCL doesn't divulge how the DSC IS distributed, so we have no way to know if the "behind c the scenes"crew members benefit from it.

What is known is crew members are guaranteed a minimum wage.

Those who receive cash tips may tip out to those they feel aide them.

Consistently pining for the good old days leads nowhere. NCL is a business and its reason for existing is to make money. One way to do that is to generate additional add-on revenue streams without losing its market, hence perceived nickle and diming. It is more than possible for get on an NCL cruise and, with the exception of the DSC, get off the ship with no additional room charges. It's possible to avoid required gratuities on perks by not selecting them. We are grateful for the Platinum + perks provided to us and they strongly influence our continued choice to sail with NCL. We select the booze and upgraded dining packages as perks because they save us money. We continue to find good value and a more-that-acceptable onboard experience with NCL and don't spin on what used to be, what should be, or who manages the business. Those who don't align with our thinking are more than entitled to their opinions but I wonder just how bothersome NCL's evolving product really is to them at the end of the day (or the cruise).

Consistently pining for the good old days leads nowhere. NCL is a business and its reason for existing is to make money. One way to do that is to generate additional add-on revenue streams without losing its market, hence perceived nickle and diming. It is more than possible for get on an NCL cruise and, with the exception of the DSC, get off the ship with no additional room charges. It's possible to avoid required gratuities on perks by not selecting them. We are grateful for the Platinum + perks provided to us and they strongly influence our continued choice to sail with NCL. We select the booze and upgraded dining packages as perks because they save us money. We continue to find good value and a more-that-acceptable onboard experience with NCL and don't spin on what used to be, what should be, or who manages the business. Those who don't align with our thinking are more than entitled to their opinions but I wonder just how bothersome NCL's evolving product really is to them at the end of the day (or the cruise).

And all the capitalist complainers ought to understand that they have choices. The DSC is the same on RCCL and Princess, with fewer deals available for all the nickel and diming constantly mentioned. The other lines must be nickel and diming me when they charge me for Internet, specialty dining when I get two dinners for two as platinum plus. Enjoy my 250 free minutes online.

Very well said. Every mass-market cruise line has add ons and NCL is no different, but as you said, someone can sail walking off the ship with a zero balance if they choose. I've never cruised for the loyalty perks, but they are much appreciated.

Not true

Under Sheehan

All passengers received the UBP & Real UDP with no 18%

All passengers 3-8 were free

Daily tips remained the same (2 or 3 increases under FDR)

Fireworks

Free room service

Nickelodean (I have no kids but I did enjoy watching people get slimed)

FDR has only upped prices, added a bunch of useless fees, made cuts to CAS, Higher tiers lost OBC, limit on booked cruises, higher upgrade prices,

downgraded perks (with the exception of Latitudes, I actually see that as the only bone he has tossed passengers)

I will go on to say I think NCL was better for the passengers under Sheehan and it not about nickel and diming, it is dollars and hundreds.

maybe in your case for some reason, passengers 3 plus were free but unless there was a promo going that is 100% not true. I have been cruising on NCL for 20 plus years and was a TA for many of those years.

Gratuities have gone up, yes, have you checked other lines lately? It appears you have not. BTW, the first increase in gratuities happened before her took over.

Under Sheehan I never saw a promo that offered speialty dining or UDP. So this claim of yours isn't true.

the only things that I will agree with you on is: the room service. And for many of us, this has never been an issue, but for some reason there are people that want to sit in a tiny cabin and chow down.

There will always been pros and cons, always be increases some do not like. We each look at things differently but I wil say it again, some of what you think is the fault of FDR isn't correct. If you are basing any of your comments on being CAS you should know and maybe you do, the promos for CAS members is very different from the rest of us and many changes are caused by CAS requirements or perks, they have nothing to do with NCL.

of course this is all mute points as the thread is about latitude and not nickel and diming or Sheehan versus RDR. Every line has added costs that some consider nickel and diming. As long as the ships are going out almost full and people continue to sail they will continue to add them. that is life.

Edited by newmexicoNita

maybe in your case for some reason, passengers 3 plus were free but unless there was a promo going that is 100% not true. I have been cruising on NCL for 20 plus years and was a TA for many of those years.

Gratuities have gone up, yes, have you checked other lines lately? It appears you have not. BTW, the first increase in gratuities happened before her took over.

Under Sheehan I never saw a promo that offered speialty dining or UDP. So this claim of yours isn't true.

the only things that I will agree with you on is: the room service. And for many of us, this has never been an issue, but for some reason there are people that want to sit in a tiny cabin and chow down.

There will always been pros and cons, always be increases some do not like. We each look at things differently but I wil say it again, some of what you think is the fault of FDR isn't correct. If you are basing any of your comments on being CAS you should know and maybe you do, the promos for CAS members is very different from the rest of us and many changes are caused by CAS requirements or perks, they have nothing to do with NCL.

I'm not going to get into the debate of CEOs but I do want to point out that the Dining Package when first launched was the Unlimited Dining Package which allowed you to go to as many specialities as you wanted. That was under O'Sheehan. It was then reduced to 4 meals on a week cruise and then to 3.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

of course this is all mute points as the thread is about latitude and not nickel and diming or Sheehan versus RDR. Every line has added costs that some consider nickel and diming. As long as the ships are going out almost full and people continue to sail they will continue to add them. that is life.

I think you are correct about Sheehan, he left in January 2015. We had a cruise booked at that time on the Star in a DOS. We were to sail in November 2015. We keep all our cruises in a folder on the computer in case we need to look at something. Just looked at the original cruise and it had no perks, we canceled and rebooked in April of 2015 to add all the new free perks. We saved both old and new reservations and e-mails from our pcc. SO it looks like the UDP and UBP came after Sheehan quit as a free perk.

I'm not going to get into the debate of CEOs but I do want to point out that the Dining Package when first launched was the Unlimited Dining Package which allowed you to go to as many specialities as you wanted. That was under O'Sheehan. It was then reduced to 4 meals on a week cruise and then to 3.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

that part is true, but my point was as a promo or perk. You are right as an extra purchase it came out before FDR took over, but there is a huge difference between a purchased package and a perk. the perk or promo idea is relatively new.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Just because you were not aware of it doesn't make it not true I had multiple bookings with UBP/UDP for everybody in the room. This was under Kevin Sheehan. 2012/2013 booking dates.

Just because you were not aware of it doesn't make it not true I had multiple bookings with UBP/UDP for everybody in the room. This was under Kevin Sheehan. 2012/2013 booking dates.
Your dates are off, because the UDP was only introduced in early 2014 (see press release here). And bookings with Freestyle Choice only began in December 2014, i.e. right before Sheehan left the company. You are correct that the deals were really generous for the first few months of the promo, but there is no way they could have continued offering those deals for ever and ever, no matter who the CEO was.

My sister received an email which she still that was a survey that asked would you be willing to pay $899.00 for most of the items that are now free at sea perks. That email is dated 6/25/14.