Change in NCL Platinum Latitudes benefits

dollyrox

Swedish W - yes, the comp'd Platinum dinner is still limited to 1-1-1 as before, as least on the Gem recently. Plan B, stopping at Orchid Garden for starter, soup & soup first ... sort of East-West combo, kept us busy for 2+ hours (still can't figure out why & how a 3-course meal can take 90 minutes, but it is what it is)

We used to be able to use our 2nd. set of vouchers to treat 2 other guests of our choice so that 4 of us can dine together, 1 evening, at specialty. The new scheme - not anymore ... Won't do La Cucina at all but now that Moderno is an option, planning to do that on the Breakaway, something different. Tired of the short list of choices for LeBistro, booked Cagney already for a change.

SID_9169: you can only book the a la carte ones using the Platinum voucher at 90 days ... Cagney, LeBistro & La Cucina. But, not at Moderno as it's price-fixed ... unless you prepaid that with a credit card first, and present the voucher & have them reverse the charges as OBC (I believe someone has done that & wrote about it.)

But the poster said the other platinum passengers in the cabin were SOL and that was not true. And the FAQ said that an additional voucher would be delivered to 3 or more platinum passengers. What is not clear is if they will be given 2 cards for 1 dinner or 1 card for 1 dinner. Maybe someone can clarify this who has gone recently. I saw this posted at least a month or so ago.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It seems it is for 2 meals.

From the FAQ:

Can I still split the dinner for two vouchers if I am a solo traveler (two meals for one person)?

No, this benefit is delivered as two dinners for two per stateroom. Solo travelers get two dinners for one. You cannot split the voucher in to two separate vouchers and redeem the dinners on two separate evenings. The benefit is only if there are two guests dining on the same visit.

I do think they changed the program it as the FAQ questions are all messed up and answer the question both ways in regards to what the OP was stating. It is in multiple places that it is per stateroom regardless of how many Platinums (and above) are in the room. I think NCL finally got this right thankfully.

It seems it is for 2 meals.

From the FAQ:

Can I still split the dinner for two vouchers if I am a solo traveler (two meals for one person)?

No, this benefit is delivered as two dinners for two per stateroom. Solo travelers get two dinners for one. You cannot split the voucher in to two separate vouchers and redeem the dinners on two separate evenings. The benefit is only if there are two guests dining on the same visit.

I do think they changed the program it as the FAQ questions are all messed up and answer the question both ways in regards to what the OP was stating. It is in multiple places that it is per stateroom regardless of how many Platinums (and above) are in the room. I think NCL finally got this right thankfully.

If you want to have some fun, call NCL and ask about these FAQs. I called yesterday. We had to laugh because I pointed out the FAQ and she said that they didn't even know it was listed. The customer service agent was very cute and nice. She asked her supervisor and she said she did know about it. It was an experience. She said that she would check it out and thanked me.

Are the platinum dinners still restricted to one appetizer? For several years, I had a standard meal I enjoyed at Le Bistro but when FDR took over, that was no longer available without a charge.

The only problem I have with the changes is the pettiness and disrespect NCI upper management is showing their loyal guests.

Perhaps I should mention that after more than 50 cruises with NCL, my last few cruses have been on other lines. I have one booked on NCL to use up a future cruise deposit.

To my knowledge there seems to be no restrictions. I know I asked for an appetizer and a salad instead of a dessert and there were no questions. In fact when dessert time came our waiter tried to convince me to have dessert anyway. I was too full. Our sil order 2 appetizers on our last cruise, no problem. that has just been our experience. I think a lot of the rules can be broken with a good attitude.

To my knowledge there seems to be no restrictions. I know I asked for an appetizer and a salad instead of a dessert and there were no questions. In fact when dessert time came our waiter tried to convince me to have dessert anyway. I was too full. Our sil order 2 appetizers on our last cruise, no problem. that has just been our experience. I think a lot of the rules can be broken with a good attitude.

Yes, this has been our experience too. We have been on two cruises since the change. At Le Bistro we have asked to exchange the dessert for an additional appetizer and have had that approved. (And we have still had the dessert offered but have turned that down.) If they hadn't approved the 2nd appetizer we would have gladly paid the $3 for the delicious Four Mushroom soup.....well worth it:)

never had any issues ordering multiple apps. Ordering multiple entrees was a no go but apps were fine.

Are you talking about the Platinum perk? That has been limited to one app for more than a year.

Are the platinum dinners still restricted to one appetizer? For several years, I had a standard meal I enjoyed at Le Bistro but when FDR took over, that was no longer available without a charge.

The only problem I have with the changes is the pettiness and disrespect NCI upper management is showing their loyal guests.

Perhaps I should mention that after more than 50 cruises with NCL, my last few cruses have been on other lines. I have one booked on NCL to use up a future cruise deposit.

We are Elite on Celebrity, Diamond on RCI and Platinum on NCL. Prior to these changes NCL's loyalty benefits were the least beneficial compared to the other two. With these changes, the benefits are even smaller.

The crappy sparkling wine we get in the cabin on arrival is so bad, we don't drink it. We do use the laundry benefit. Now the dining benefit is reduced. There is little to incentivize picking NCL, except price, which I must say that NCL, compared to Celebrity hasn't raised its prices as much.

Also, we dislike the price bundling now adopted by NCL and Celebrity. NCL charges 18% of the so called value of the Beverage Package which is significant. For moderate drinkers that want descent wine we skip the packages.

We are Elite on Celebrity, Diamond on RCI and Platinum on NCL. Prior to these changes NCL's loyalty benefits were the least beneficial compared to the other two. With these changes, the benefits are even smaller.

The crappy sparkling wine we get in the cabin on arrival is so bad, we don't drink it. We do use the laundry benefit. Now the dining benefit is reduced. There is little to incentivize picking NCL, except price, which I must say that NCL, compared to Celebrity hasn't raised its prices as much.

Also, we dislike the price bundling now adopted by NCL and Celebrity. NCL charges 18% of the so called value of the Beverage Package which is significant. For moderate drinkers that want descent wine we skip the packages.

After my next cruise, I probably won't concern myself about the petty things NCL is doing.

I have found better deals on other lines and will enjoy them.

I was,stunned by the waiter telling me I could not order the soup and escargot unless I wanted to pay for one. It was not the price, but the idea that after 50 cruises on NCL, they took away part of the pleasure of cruising with them.

Other items seem too petty for me, so I will move on unless I find a price and itinerary that I like on NCL.

According to your signature, you haven't cruised on NCL since 2015, so your "knowledge" is not relevant to this discussion.

We had the four-mushroom soup for the first time on a recent cruise and it was room-temperature; is it supposed to be like that?

For several years, it was served hot in a bread bowl, and it was great.

They took away the bread bowl, but the soup was still served hot and very good. Since they restricted the platinum dinner to one app, I ordered the escargot, so I don't have current info about the soup.

We had the four-mushroom soup for the first time on a recent cruise and it was room-temperature; is it supposed to be like that?

That's just wrong and so sorry that's what you were served!

We have always had it served piping hot. It's our favorite soup on board. Our most recent cruises have been on Escape and Dawn. Both Le Bistros were staffed with excellent servers.

If you are two in a room it could be viewed as a gain, if you are solo looks like a definite gain. 3 or more ppl per room w status and it's a loss. I think asking why per room instead of per guest is at minimum a fair and legitimate question. Usually what I encounter is perks are per person and discounts per room.

Because sharing is caring…

Seriously, I get it, two gifts would be obviously better than just one to share. But it should be just as obvious that one gift is better than nothing, which is what they could be giving you.

This is problematic if you are sailing with someone besides your spouse. 2 friends, or sisters, both with Platinum status, would have to share?

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

...Perhaps I should mention that after more than 50 cruises with NCL, my last few cruses have been on other lines. I have one booked on NCL to use up a future cruise deposit.

I sure hope the ONLY reason you are taking another NCL cruise is not just the future cruise deposit. After all, that is not much money in the big picture.

Just saying...if another cruise is more enjoyable, I would take that instead....

If you are two in a room it could be viewed as a gain, if you are solo looks like a definite gain. 3 or more ppl per room w status and it's a loss. I think asking why per room instead of per guest is at minimum a fair and legitimate question. Usually what I encounter is perks are per person and discounts per room.

I am reading that it is kinda per guest with status. Every guest platinum or above receives 1 dinner each at 2 restaurants. It's just that they put the first two together. If there is 3 in the cabin the third guest receives a card as a solo,but still gets the dinners.

I miss the 8-piece box.

Too bad NCL could not even keep the 4 piece box. It really could not have cost them that much ... and now adding the payment of gratuities for Suite Perks to fare, :mad:

I guess there was not much backlash. With removal of Suite amenities we had in the past, the decision of continuing to sail Suites is no longer our first choice. I think NCL is trying to see where the threshold or pushback from their loyal Suite guests will be.

Too bad NCL could not even keep the 4 piece box. It really could not have cost them that much ... and now adding the payment of gratuities for Suite Perks to fare, :mad:

I guess there was not much backlash. With removal of Suite amenities we had in the past, the decision of continuing to sail Suites is no longer our first choice. I think NCL is trying to see where the threshold or pushback from their loyal Suite guests will be.

I do not think the gratuities for the UBP and UDP were ever listed as a suite perk. They were just a long standing promo that ran its course. We still receive the same perks for suites we received 10 years ago in the suites we have sailed.

THe way I read it is this, if there is 4 platinum guest in stateroom you will receive 2 welcome back cards which will give you 4 dinners for 2. If there are 5 you will get 2 cards for 2 and 1 for a solo, thus everyone will get the correct amount of dinners. If there are 6 , there will be 3 cards for two, but that would be a tight squeeze.

According to your signature, you haven't cruised on NCL since 2015, so your "knowledge" is not relevant to this discussion.

Oh for heavens sake, I have cruised 2 times just last year and one time already this year. Why would anyone bother to look at someone's profile and make a judgement on that alone? I don't always update everything. We were on the Jewel last Spring, the Epic in November when they did their first sailing out of Cape Kennedy. We were on the Breakaway just this past April out of NYC. :eek: Would you like me to list what we did, our cabin number etc? BTW, I actually headed up the M&G on all three. ;)

Good grief. I cruise for an itinerary. There are multiple thousands of Platinums. Sorry, only my opinion, but it isn't that hard to get. I qualified when it was 14 cruises. (all at least 7 days in my case).

These perks all have costs involved. I'd rater see overall lower cruise rates. :)

not to ,mention the program is free, so any perk we get is ok with me. Of course I like the perks, and yes, they have us coming back to NCL over other lines, but perks are not as important as the itinerary, service and activities as well as cost.

I am solo and I think it's a definite gain. Normally, a solo can find one or two solos at the evening social to share dinners with and end up doubling the benefit. LOL. I don't miss the Godiva which I used to bring back and give to a friend at my gym's front desk. The 30 minutes of FREE Internet works great for flight check in.