When does the option to pre-pay gratuities online go away?

cruising7

One year I waited too long, and logged on to pre-pay and the option was gone. Is there a set number of days before the cruise that option disappears? With the increase, our family of 5 staying in Haven, will pay about $50 more if we wait, which isnt a huge difference but every lit bit coubts! I'm not ready to pay the full $600ish just yet though.

Thanks if anyone knows how close to cruise date I can wait!

It often happens that the option disappears (technical glitch or whatever) but you can always call and pre-pay that way. I wouldn't wait until the day before the cruise, though, just in case. And if you are booked through a TA you probably have to contact them to do it.

You probably have/or shortly will receive notice that the DSC charges are going up and if you want the "old" rates, pre-pay now.

Prepay now.

Norwegian Cruise Lineis making a nominal adjustment to its daily service charges, effective April 1,2017. Norwegian's discretionary daily service charges make it easy for gueststo provide gratuities to key onboard staff who provide superior guest serviceduring the cruise, including their room steward, restaurant servers andbehind-the-scenes support staff.

The new rates for all ships, except Norwegian Sky are:

$13.99 per person per day for anycategory up to a mini-suite stateroom

$16.99 per person per day for anysuite or Haven category

Any guest that has made a booking by March 31, 2017 will have the option ofprepaying their service charges at the current rate if done prior to sail date.Guests with existing cruise reservations who have already pre-paid theirservice charges at the current rate are not affected.

Service charges can be prepaid on My NCLor by contacting our Reservations Department at 800-327-7030.

Sincerely,

Norwegian Cruise Line®

One year I waited too long, and logged on to pre-pay and the option was gone. Is there a set number of days before the cruise that option disappears? With the increase, our family of 5 staying in Haven, will pay about $50 more if we wait, which isnt a huge difference but every lit bit coubts! I'm not ready to pay the full $600ish just yet though.

Thanks if anyone knows how close to cruise date I can wait!

The deadline is either 48 or 72 hours prior to sailing.

If you don't pre-pay, it will simply be added to your final bill...same amount, either way.
That's usually the case, but not when they raise the daily rate. You have to pre-pay to get the previous (lower) rate. As the OP said, if they don't pre-pay and wait to have it added to their bill on board, they will pay about $50 more.

No reason to do it now, a couple of days before sailing is fine, but everyone has their own preferences for when to pay these things.

i know this has been addressed on previous threads but being the cheap bum i am, is there a way to avoid these gratuities at all?...i mean with the tax, port tax, fuel surcharges adding up, really, i am left empty

i know this has been addressed on previous threads but being the cheap bum i am, is there a way to avoid these gratuities at all?...i mean with the tax, port tax, fuel surcharges adding up, really, i am left empty

What did the previous threads say?

You are not paying any fuel surcharges.

If you don't pre-pay, it will simply be added to your final bill...same amount, either way.

Not necessarily true...certainly for UK cruisers!! Following the June 2016 decision to enter a process to leave the EU, the pound value reduced by around 20%. It took NCL a long time to recognise that, and many are "locked in" at the previous favourable rate translating into either £8.25 or £8.50 pppd. At current exchange rates, if you wait until boarded then the $13.99 will translate into approximately £11 pppd.

Prepay is certainly the way to go for UK cruisers if you are locked in at the more favourable rate!

The new higher price takes effect on April first. You need to prepay your service charge by March 31st. I'm not saving much but I'm prepaying it!
You don't have to pre-pay by March 31. As long as you book before April 1 (which you did), you can pre-pay anytime before your cruise (up to 24 hours before sailing) and you will pay the current, lower rate.

That's not what my email from NCL

said. I booked my 2/3/18 cruise Feb 5. I was told the new service charge rate goes into effect 4/1 for all cruises beginning that day regardless if you booked before that date.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's not what my email from NCL

said. I booked my 2/3/18 cruise Feb 5. I was told the new service charge rate goes into effect 4/1 for all cruises beginning that day regardless if you booked before that date.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

in their email:

Any guest that has made a booking by March 31, 2017 will have the option of prepaying their service charges at the current rate if done prior to sail date

That is my understanding. When you booked has nothing to do with the raise in price. It goes into effect on April first and to avoid it, you need to prepay it by March 31st. NCL wants that money in their pocket. You pay later, it is at the new higher price!!!

You pay later, it is at the new higher price!!!

you only pay the higher price IF YOU ARE ON THE SHIP . if you pre-pay at home before you sail, you are locked in at the old price

you do not have to pay it for now. If you book a cruise now for may 2019, you can still pre-pay the gratuities at the old price in april 2018 if you do it before you board the ship.

as long as you do everything at home before you board the ship, you are golden!