Changes to Crow's Nest, starting with the Westerdam (two threads merged.See post #29)

Boytjie

Will this be the first of the Vista class ships to be changed? Hope they do not change the )0osterdam before our Fall cruise.

You and me both. I sail on the Oosterdam in June. I still would like to see a floor plan to determine if this is as bad as it looks.

Received this information in my mail today; don't know if it's been previously talked about on this forum, but I thought I'd go ahead an submit it for discussion anyways.

Holland America is

Changing the Crow’s Nest

Starting next month on the ms Westerdam, Holland America Line will start transforming the Crow’s Nest into a new area called Explorations Central. This new technology-based area will include digital screens, opportunities to learn more about the destination you’re visiting, and navigational information.

Over the past two years of being at the helm of Holland America, President Orlando Ashford has been helping the cruise line keep up with technology by making it a key part of the guest experience. This announcement is furthering that goal.

Areas include:

The Hub

The-Hub-in-Explorations-Central-Pinnacle-Class-ships.jpg

This area is set up to explore new destinations. You’ll find interactive table maps, port information, and explorations staff. Think huge iPads.

The Library

The-Library-in-Explorations-Central-Pinnacle-Class-ships.jpg

Holland America Line has always been known for their extensive library; now they’ll take it a step further with a curated collection of books themed around your itinerary. You can expect more books on history, geography, food, art, and culture.

The Explorations Cafe

Explorations-Cafe-powered-by-The-New-York-Times-in-Explorations-Central.jpg

Already a staple in the Crow’s Nest, the Explorations Cafe will remain the same offering coffees, pastries, and games.

Destinations Display

Here you’ll find wall displays of destinations on the sailing which also allows guests to share their experiences.

Theater EXC

Theater-EXC-in-Explorations-Central-Pinnacle-Class-ships.jpg

A smaller space that allows group discussions with the explorations team and will host a book club.

Virtual Bridge

IMG_1952.jpg

Digital displays set up throughout the ship letting you know details of the ship’s navigation.

The first ship to receive Explorations Central is ms Westerdam, followed by five more ships throughout 2017.

I guess the quiet serenity of most of the crows nest is history. 😟

After looking at the design drawings, I don't see any loss of windows. If you think about it, even for a minute, you can pretty much rest assured that a cruise ship isn't going to give up windows. That would make no sense whatsoever.

I'm laying two to one odds that the Crow's Nest will not lose windows. Email me with your bets. :D

I wonder what study (if any) was done by HAL to determine if this change was warranted? Was the Crow's Nest underutilized by passengers? Will this result in more sales for shore excursions? There seems to be little justification for the change that has been publicized by HAL.

Wish this was "fake news"!

Will this be the first of the Vista class ships to be changed? Hope they do not change the )0osterdam before our Fall cruise.

You and me both. I sail on the Oosterdam in June. I still would like to see a floor plan to determine if this is as bad as it looks.
O-dam recently had major changes - IMHO it isn't likely to get more soon. Edited by catl331

And the interactive screens are guaranteed to work as well as the ones already installed for navigation and weather info and the game tables in the Mix sports bar section.

Quite a set up for 2000 passengers to all use the night before the next port. But this allows them to get rid of the librarian and port lecturer positions, so they can add two more herbal acupuncturists and teeth whiteners. Got to follow the market - who cares where you are going, just how you are going.

This is your new and improved HAL experience. People just sitting in a large library with comfortable chairs is lost income space. Plus the new demographics HAL is courting do not read anyway. Just quick text bursts, 140 characters or less.

:mad::mad::mad:

After looking at the design drawings, I don't see any loss of windows. If you think about it, even for a minute, you can pretty much rest assured that a cruise ship isn't going to give up windows. That would make no sense whatsoever.

I'm laying two to one odds that the Crow's Nest will not lose windows. Email me with your bets. :D

To me, it isn't about eliminating windows, the issue is will there be new partitions blocking views in different directions.

RCCL did that in their view lounges by putting up partitions to make specialty rooms. This cut off the panoramic views it once had.

Where did you see design drawings, or do you mean the ones posted through this thread?

Will there still be a bar and dance area? When we were on the Maasdam a year ago the Crow's Nest was a fun and lively venue in the evenings.

Forget it! We were recently on the renovated Oosterdam. The dance floor had gone away, as well as live music in the Crows Nest. According to the artist's drawing, provided in an earlier post, it doesn't even reflect a bar. Awful, awful, awful! The Crows Nest and the wrap around promenade were the two best features of the HAL ships. Apparently the K-dam has done away with the former, and now the Crows Nest is going away. Oh, forgot to mention the former library.

And for those who fear they won't be able to sit and look out at the sea, don't worry--who needs windows, there will be big-screen TVs to show you that! ;p Ashford's area of expertise is tech, and he's certainly tarting up the ship with as many big-screens as he can find places for. I can see the day-of-the-week carpets disappearing to be replaced by a digital display in the elevator that says "Today is Friday"

The one thing I like is the "virtual bridge." On Zuiderdam last month, the big screen displays in the public areas were seldom working. I'd like to see better info on navigation and local conditions (weather in real time?), not only on the public TVs, but in the cabin, too.

I agree :)

Maybe if Ashford is so daggone good at tech he'd see the internet connections were actually usable. (they weren't on the Zuiderdam in Dec. I signed up then couldn't connect - on their computers)

What we saw navigation wise on the cabin TV was no better than when we first started cruising in 2006:(

Let me be the odd one out. I think the "Explorations Central" concept is interesting, and I'm willing to check it out and experience it before I come to any conclusions.

Agreed. The Crow's Nest is probably one of the least used spaces on the ship except at Happy Hour. I'm willing to wait and see.

The Crow's Nest is the thing, for us, that really sets HAL apart from CCL and RCCL. The CCL's we've been on have nothing like it and on RCCL it's in the back.

On the Eurodam the last 2 nights they even moved the Piano Bar guy up to the Crow's Nest because his crowds were so large. Room for all to hear and dance floor for those that chose to (and many did).

It's bad enough there's no live music for dancing in the Ocean Bar after late seating dinner.:( ... now this.

Dummy the ambiance down enough and might as well sail Carnival all the time.