Changes to Crow's Nest, starting with the Westerdam (two threads merged.See post #29)

Boytjie

We have cruised on 7 different HAL ships and enjoy the Line very much. Our two favorite features are the walking Promenade and the Crow's Nest.

We just returned from our first cruise on the Oceania Riviera. While the ship does not feature a walk around deck, it does have the Horizon's Lounge. This venue is everything the Crow's Nest once was. It is beautiful. Entertainment by two different musical groups took place nightly. The dance floor was very spacious. It was our favorite place to visit nightly before dinner.

Just to add my 2cents worth (not that HAL cares what passengers think) the loss of all the nice relaxing space to watch the waves, read a book, enjoy port arrivals or sailaways is a shame. If HAL thinks it needs all this tech find a less obnoxious place for it!

drat, I wish I hadsdx not clic ked to watch/listen to the video. Big mistsak on my part. Not very impressive IMO. I feltr like I was being so spoken down to like a first grader.. He needs a better speechwriter. That piece does nothing to improve his image IMO

drat, I wish I hadsdx not clic ked to watch/listen to the video. Big mistsak on my part. Not very impressive IMO. I feltr like I was being so spoken down to like a first grader.. He needs a better speechwriter. That piece does nothing to improve his image IMO

Like first graders who have never set foot out of their hometown. My feeling exactly, Sail!

boo hiss. crow's nest was one of the nicest areas on the ships. and the library was always excellent. I have not been impressed with much of the areas redone on the ships, it always seem they do away with comfortable and quiet bar areas that people like to congregate and relax in and make them wide open high tech uncomfortable areas. I can sail Celebrity if I want all that!

It looks like the area will no longer be a quiet place to look out to sea and watch the scenery and relax. Say it isn't so! It was such a perfect spot for sailaways in bad weather, to watch an approach into a port, read a good book in a comfy chair, and enjoy it all while having cocktails before dinner. Looks like seating will really be reduced a lot.

Sing it, sister! Relaxing in the Crow's Nest, checking out books in the library, and walking the full promenade deck are some of the reasons we choose HAL. I'm seeing a rather cold "tech" decor, hardly any books, and a lack of seating. I do like the idea of the Virtual Bridge, but otherwise I'm not a fan.

Did anyone else notice that he began by talking about BEING THERE, and IMMERSION in a culture? He said, yes you can read a book or see a video but there's nothing like BEING THERE/IMMERSION. And then he went on to talk about the videos and activities on the ship. They may be good enrichment/background. But that isn't my idea of immersion. Maybe it's virtual immersion? Maybe it's just a way to use the BBC Earth videos?

And the wonderful map he showed looks a lot like the existing ones that show restaurants and shops...

How well this whole concept works comes down to the "team of experts." Will they really be able to tell us "where the locals go," as Ashford says? Will they give us "inside info" we couldn't get from googlemaps or tripadvisor? In the past, I haven't been terribly impressed by the knowledge of the port experts. I hope they'll be better in the future.

Did anyone else notice that he began by talking about BEING THERE, and IMMERSION in a culture? He said, yes you can read a book or see a video but there's nothing like BEING THERE/IMMERSION. And then he went on to talk about the videos and activities on the ship. They may be good enrichment/background. But that isn't my idea of immersion. Maybe it's virtual immersion? Maybe it's just a way to use the BBC Earth videos?

And the wonderful map he showed looks a lot like the existing ones that show restaurants and shops...

How well this whole concept works comes down to the "team of experts." Will they really be able to tell us "where the locals go," as Ashford says? Will they give us "inside info" we couldn't get from googlemaps or tripadvisor? In the past, I haven't been terribly impressed by the knowledge of the port experts. I hope they'll be better in the future.

Good points, I believe. The team of experts should not be just the former Shore Excursion sales people (as pleasant and helpful as most of them have been).

Re: having library books available suitable for the itinerary the ship is sailing. This makes we wonder who is going to be responsible for changing such books when the ship's itinerary changes? How will these books be prevented from developing "legs" and disappearing?

Looking beyond all the hype in the video,it becomes clear that this is going to be all about selling excursions. Yet another place to SELL, SELL, SELL. If HAL is going to carry on with getting rid of proper promenade decks, removing libraries, and squeezing public spaces in attempts to increase revenue, they don’t seem to realize they will kill their golden goose. Our children and young grandchildren (the market they’re trying to target) love going on HAL ships because of the wide promenade decks wherethey feel connected to the sea and sitting up in the Crows Nest to watch theviews. Our son, who’s as techie as they come, still wants a library with good referencebooks. He and his wife like the relaxed, gracious air of HAL ships. They’ve already said they won’t be so keen to sail with HAL if they continue down this path of lessening the experience of actually being at sea. Nor will we!

Edited by Ladybentley
Correcting formatting mistakes

Definitely disappointed in Crows Nest changes. It was always our quiet place to have a few drinks and just gaze at the sea. In fact, we always considered the Crows Nest one of the things that set HAL apart from other lines. Noticed big change on our last cruise to Panama Canal. Loud trivia games, etc which definitely ruined it for us. Couldn't even carry on a conversation it was so loud. Don't disagree with the concept of Explorations Central. I have always wished for more port information. Just disappointed that they are doing it in the Crow's Nest and taking away one of our (previous) favorite places on the Dam ships.

Jane

Definitely disappointed in Crows Nest changes. It was always our quiet place to have a few drinks and just gaze at the sea. In fact, we always considered the Crows Nest one of the things that set HAL apart from other lines. Noticed big change on our last cruise to Panama Canal. Loud trivia games, etc which definitely ruined it for us. Couldn't even carry on a conversation it was so loud. Don't disagree with the concept of Explorations Central. I have always wished for more port information. Just disappointed that they are doing it in the Crow's Nest and taking away one of our (previous) favorite places on the Dam ships.

Jane

Totally agree about the Trivia games. They were so loud in the Crow's Nest on the Rotterdam, one could not think, let alone enjoy, a drink in good company. Instead of ordering another round, we usually left when the games began.

I had the pleasure of one night aboard the Noordam. I loved the beautiful traditional look instead of the modern decor of her sisters!

Which brings up another question, Are these redos of decor always exactly the same on each ship? I am not referring to the reconfiguration of rooms, but the furnishings.

On the Volendam two years ago I swear the carpeting came out a Remnant Warehouse. None of the colors or patterns matched, but screamed at each other.

Sailing the Maasdam, Osterdam, Eurodam and Noordam in the last 12 months, whom, I believe all had some type of refit, it appears HAL stopped buying from the Remnant Warehouse and the public areas were well matched

• 1 month later...
Is seating in the Crowe's nest first come first served? Is it usually difficult to get a spot?

It's a regular bar/lounge, so technically yes. However, it's a big space and you don't have to worry about getting a seat.

I for one am willing to wait until I see it before I hate it. It's unclear to me where the various components will actually go but seems that a majority of the seating will remain in tack. I have always found the Crows Nest to be fairly empty with the exception of certain itineraries like Antarctica. I can't imagine "the Hub" will be utilized but I am one that can't imagine waiting until I am on the cruise ship to decide what I am doing in a port. The changes to the library and exploration lounge appear minimal.

I hope someone will post pictures from the Westerdam once the changes are in.

I for one am willing to wait until I see it before I hate it.

NO! It's CHANGE. You must HATE it before you experience it. That's the whole point of this forum. ;)

Will this be the first of the Vista class ships to be changed? Hope they do not change the )0osterdam before our Fall cruise.

They are on their way to changing it. They have already removed the dance floor. Bar was still there, however, as of November.

"One of the least used spaces"??? Not in my experience!

Like not the least used space but very likely not the most profitable. If the Crow's Nest was generating great income they wouldn't change it. Our last Westerdam cruise had Karaoke in the Crows Nest one evening and was packed. As I looked around over half of the tables had nothing but a menu on them. Crow's Nest is Prime real estate on the ship- just like in retail every square foot of public space is responsible for generating revenue and has a dollar value.

I wish cruise line management would leave things well enough alone ! It is obvious that the Corporate Ships Planning Dept. is completely out of touch with the bread & butter HAL customer base. When I "discovered" HAL 15 years ago they could do no wrong. How sad to witness the continued decline of my once beloved favorite cruise line. All the mass market companies are making drastic changes to the point where I sometimes barely recognize the type of cruise travel experience that I originally fell in love with. It's like a once great lover who turns her back.