Changes to Crow's Nest, starting with the Westerdam (two threads merged.See post #29)

Boytjie

How extensive was the non-travel library?

This section was very small. There were a few books with their front cover on display which were not to be borrowed. They mostly pertained to Greek or Italian themes. Not sure how you could read a large novel without borrowing it , but that is what the sign said. Of course there was no one there to monitor the borrowing.

If that was the area that meet and greets were held then the answer is no. There was a large screened tv playing info on cruising. I think mainly about the ports we visited. The two times I visited that area there was no one watching.

Since the Koningsdam is so new, I would presume that these proposed changes will not be implemented for a few years our until it goes into dry dock.

Unfortunately, these changes have already occurred on the Oosterdam and Westerdam; will occur in November (?) on the NA. HAL's ships go into drydock every two years, so you can expect the changes to occur by the end of next year on the Vista, Signature, and Pinnacle ships.

Was the old Captains Corner area there on the port (left) side?

According to a friend of ours, the area is still there and can be closed off for functions. The big change was a video screen on the wall that's perpendicular to the windows.

According to a friend of ours, the area is still there and can be closed off for functions. The big change was a video screen on the wall that's perpendicular to the windows.

Does it interfere with viewing out?

I'm thinking of such itineraries that are extremely scenic, such as Glacier Bay, Panama Canal, rounding Cape Horn, Antarctica, North Cape.

Because of the extremes in temperatures, these areas especially have a lot of people in the Crow's Nest, trying to enjoy the views, while not suffering from the temperatures. Even those who do go outside, come in once in a while. It would be a shame to lose that opportunity.

So far the pictures I've seen in the other thread it all looks pretty nice. To me the benefits of this change at first glance are that the Crows Nest area is still there and open to all passengers. I see lots of seating and same windows all around. Bar is still there as is espresso.

If the Crows Nest in its current configuration was profitable to HAL I'm sure there would be no incentive to change it. Low fares means more on board revenue is necessary to stay in business.

They could have gone the MSC route- MSC's similar area is only open the "Yacht Club" guests. They could have turned it into another alternative restaurant even split it up onto two restaurants. They could have incorporated it into the spa.

I'm sure they are watching Westerdam closely before rolling it out to the rest of the fleet. Crow's Nest is really special to us as we got married in the Oosterdam Crows Nest and hope that the area remains open to all. My guess is that it will morph into a combination of EXC and Crows Nest Lounge offering the best of both. I remember in the "old days" when the Crows Nest was the place to go before dinner- however the MDR was a lot closer in those days

Does it interfere with viewing out?

I'm thinking of such itineraries that are extremely scenic, such as Glacier Bay, Panama Canal, rounding Cape Horn, Antarctica, North Cape.

Because of the extremes in temperatures, these areas especially have a lot of people in the Crow's Nest, trying to enjoy the views, while not suffering from the temperatures. Even those who do go outside, come in once in a while. It would be a shame to lose that opportunity.

I believe the 100 inch TV is on the end wall of the "Captains Corner" giving it a theatre feel.

I believe the 100 inch TV is on the end wall of the "Captains Corner" giving it a theatre feel.

Judging by the artist rendition , that is my belief too. The screen in that rendering is against a wall....existing windows are to the right of it and are as they always were.

I don't see anything obstructing the windows from the original design. I just see more seating. Removal of the large bar and dance floor allowed for that. In other words, it's original purpose as an "Observation lounge" has been enhanced.

I do sympathize with those who thought of that room as a great dance bar, but I selfishly am glad that I have better chance to find a seat to do "observation" of the scenery. That is the reason I have always loved the Crow's Nest.

From what I was told by someone who was on the ship, it's on the wall perpendicular to the windows. That was solid wall anyway. I think it backs up to the storage area across from the restrooms.

Here are some great recent photos of the Crow's Nest post refurbishment. It actually looks very nice to us, and now I feel much better about the upgrades. :) Bar is still there, :D and still plenty of windows / seating for those fantastic panoramic views!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/oosterdam-283/crows-nest-365035/

Enjoy!

Here are some great recent photos of the Crow's Nest post refurbishment. It actually looks very nice to us, and now I feel much better about the upgrades. :) Bar is still there, :D and still plenty of windows / seating for those fantastic panoramic views!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/oosterdam-283/crows-nest-365035/

Enjoy!

The pics I saw are of the Oosterdam, and look pretty much the same as before. Am I looking in the right place for the upgraded Crows Nest?

The pics I saw are of the Oosterdam, and look pretty much the same as before. Am I looking in the right place for the upgraded Crows Nest?

From what I've heard only the dance floor and "DJ" booth were removed on Oosterdam - the rest is still the same. Westerdam is the only ship that has had the full makeover.

From what I've heard only the dance floor and "DJ" booth were removed on Oosterdam - the rest is still the same. Westerdam is the only ship that has had the full makeover.

Thank you, Frank - that would explain why I can't see much difference! I'm on the Westerdam early next year, and as someone who loved the Crows Nest as was, I can't say I have been too impressed by the photos of the makeover so far.

And we're still not sure when O'dam will get the makeover, right? :confused:

According to HAL sometime between now and the end of 2018. Im confident that it will be based on Westerdam's performance.

Wouldn't be surprised to see some "tweaks" to the designs in future conversions.

According to HAL sometime between now and the end of 2018. Im confident that it will be based on Westerdam's performance.

Wouldn't be surprised to see some "tweaks" to the designs in future conversions.

But likely not before our sailing on her this Sep/Oct though, right Frank (we're sailing with you then)?

And, if it does not work, may not happen to the rest of the fleet at all.