Changes to Crow's Nest, starting with the Westerdam (two threads merged.See post #29)

Boytjie

According to HAL sometime between now and the end of 2018. Im confident that it will be based on Westerdam's performance.

Wouldn't be surprised to see some "tweaks" to the designs in future conversions.

I hope it's after next May. Booked for the 27 day transatlantic in April.

But likely not before our sailing on her this Sep/Oct though, right Frank (we're sailing with you then)?

Don't know. I will ask our PCC and see if she can find out if there is a schedule posted somewhere on their intranet.

And, hopefully, the library. Better yet: Part Crows Nest and part library. Find somewhere less valuable for the EXC.

But, visibility for their shore excursion offerings (and more sales) is what I think is driving this "improvement" in the guest experience. The Crow's Nest, we all agree, is valuable real estate.

But, visibility for their shore excursion offerings (and more sales) is what I think is driving this "improvement" in the guest experience. The Crow's Nest, we all agree, is valuable real estate.

Afraid that you are correct. We can only hope that this "improvement" tanks.

Afraid that you are correct. We can only hope that this "improvement" tanks.

I am actually hoping that it doesn't tank. The seating, windows, and bar will still be there and open to all at all times. If EXC tanks someone will need to come up with another idea to make the area profitable for HAL. Things like restaurants or additional spa area come to mind. Imagine a stairway down to the spa and turn the current Crows Nest into a large "Thermal Suite" with many tile loungers, steam, and sauna.

Look at MSC- their space similar to Crows Nest is now a lounge for "Yacht Club" guests only

Fares are low and HAL need to maximize the on board revenue. Everyone in retail knows that every square foot has a dollar value to the companies.

I am actually hoping that it doesn't tank. The seating, windows, and bar will still be there and open to all at all times. If EXC tanks someone will need to come up with another idea to make the area profitable for HAL. Things like restaurants or additional spa area come to mind. Imagine a stairway down to the spa and turn the current Crows Nest into a large "Thermal Suite" with many tile loungers, steam, and sauna.

Look at MSC- their space similar to Crows Nest is now a lounge for "Yacht Club" guests only

Fares are low and HAL need to maximize the on board revenue. Everyone in retail knows that every square foot has a dollar value to the companies.

And I guess that's one very good reason to never cruise with MSC.

Allan

Do you work for Carnival Corp?clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Do you work for Carnival Corp?:)

Nope- Have been in many parts of the travel industry for many years tho and have seen the industry change soooo much. My first cruise on HAL was in the early 80's on a low deck inside cabin. Actually paid more then than many inside cabins now.

Just saying that out of the many changes they could have done to the area I'm glad they chose one that leaves the area fully open to all passengers all the time.

To make the current conception of the Crow's Nest more profitable, there needs to be something that attracts patronage. When entertainment of some type is offered, guests will show up, i.e. BB Kings Club on the Rotterdam or a solo guitar player/vocalist as I have seen on several ships (such as in the Piano Lounge of the Volendam, MIX in the lamented former Statendam, etc.)

• 3 weeks later...

We are just off the Zuiderdam and were disappointed that the Trivia games were not held in the Crows Nest like on the pre-refit Westerdam. It was a pleasant two hours coupled with Happy Hour. IMO Perhaps if passengers would not ensconce themselves all day in the comfy chairs to just read, there would be more turnover and passengers would frequent it more often.

We are just off the Zuiderdam and were disappointed that the Trivia games were not held in the Crows Nest like on the pre-refit Westerdam. It was a pleasant two hours coupled with Happy Hour. IMO Perhaps if passengers would not ensconce themselves all day in the comfy chairs to just read, there would be more turnover and passengers would frequent it more often.

I don't mind people reading in private area like Crow's Nest, or lounges. What bugs me is at high noon, on a sea day, on the Lido deck, one person taking up a whole table reading, when there are hundreds of people looking for a place to sit to eat their lunch. Before or after dining hours, fine, but during peak dining hours, find someplace else to read and leave the tables available to people who want to sit and relax for 20 minutes while they eat. It's kind of like a person who goes into a restaurant, orders a coke, and sits for hours freeloading off of the free internet. Have a little courtesy for people who want to sit and actually spend some money eating.

I don't mind people reading in private area like Crow's Nest, or lounges. What bugs me is at high noon, on a sea day, on the Lido deck, one person taking up a whole table reading, when there are hundreds of people looking for a place to sit to eat their lunch. Before or after dining hours, fine, but during peak dining hours, find someplace else to read and leave the tables available to people who want to sit and relax for 20 minutes while they eat. It's kind of like a person who goes into a restaurant, orders a coke, and sits for hours freeloading off of the free internet. Have a little courtesy for people who want to sit and actually spend some money eating.

I agree with that as well. Another inconsideration was our sail-away in Stockholm. The crew had setup about twenty folding chairs for additional capacity. Along come some people with the rolling computer chairs and plant themselves in the aisle left at the front of the passengers on the folding chairs..

It would make a lovely Neptune lounge with open bar. The Crows Nest could become the equivalent of Celebrity's Michaels.

Just an idea. BTW, I am not a 4* and my next HAL cruise is in an OV.

It would make a lovely Neptune lounge with open bar. The Crows Nest could become the equivalent of Celebrity's Michaels.

NOOOOOOOOO!!! RCL destroyed their viewing lounge by making it half Diamond Club members only. I hope HAL always keeps the view for everyone clear across the front of the ship.

Bite your tongue!!!

I am happy HAL is one of the last remaining cruise lines featuring an observation lounge with sea view for every guest, and not just premium/suite-travellers.

IMHO the idea to integrate an excursion center into the Crow's Nest is one of the best changes ever in the whoe cruise industry. I am waiting for such a venue for a very long time. Paired with a small café, complimentary sandwiches and sea-view it's nearly perfect. :) :) :)

And we're still not sure when O'dam will get the makeover, right? :confused:

Spring 2018 is most likely for Oosterdam, where she's featuring a gap in her cruise schedule.

And Zuiderdam should get it by fall 2017, between her final Canada/NE cruise from Quebec to Florida, and her first Caribbean cruise in November.

Reading this thread makes me apprehensive about booking on HAL for future cruises, as I spend at least a couple hours each day in the Crow's Nest while onboard. It is one of my earliest memories of being on a cruise ship, enjoying the Crow's Nest. I hope HAL listens to passenger feedback.

Spring 2018 is most likely for Oosterdam, where she's featuring a gap in her cruise schedule.

And Zuiderdam should get it by fall 2017, between her final Canada/NE cruise from Quebec to Florida, and her first Caribbean cruise in November.

Just a heads up; Oostie is not scheduled for a dry-dock in 2018; she just had one in 2016