Changes to Crow's Nest, starting with the Westerdam (two threads merged.See post #29)

Boytjie

We're with you there socal <fingers crossed> ;)

Sorry, the Oosterdam has already been converted, no old library, Billboard twin piano's. BB king crammed into the Culinary Queen's lounge playing not "Blue's" music. Crow's Nest a zoo of Library, computers, whatever, nothing going on at night there.

at least that was last July.

Totally agree about the Trivia games. They were so loud in the Crow's Nest on the Rotterdam, one could not think, let alone enjoy, a drink in good company. Instead of ordering another round, we usually left when the games began.

DUH ! The only sound during Trivia Games was the cruise director speaking the Trivia question. The loudest noise was the bunch of rude people at the bar not respecting the majority of the people playing the game

Sorry, the Oosterdam has already been converted, no old library, Billboard twin piano's. BB king crammed into the Culinary Queen's lounge playing not "Blue's" music. Crow's Nest a zoo of Library, computers, whatever, nothing going on at night there.

at least that was last July.

So are you saying that all the images I'm currently seeing of Oosterdam and other converted Vista class ships showing a nice serene 'Crow's Nest' deck with huge wrap-around windows and tables for awesome viewing and a nice bar are completely gone? Or is some of that experience still remaining?

So are you saying that all the images I'm currently seeing of Oosterdam and other converted Vista class ships showing a nice serene 'Crow's Nest' deck with huge wrap-around windows and tables for awesome viewing and a nice bar are completely gone? Or is some of that experience still remaining?

Still there. The bar and the windows aren't going anywhere. The new stuff looks like it will be in between the bar area and the Explorations Cafe area. Unless the ship's Explorations Cafe isn't up with the Crow's Nest. Then it looks like the new stuff is towards the center/starboard of the room. This is based on some concept drawings and a concept video I saw.

We cruised her last September. A good portion of the former Crow's Nest has been taken over as stated below. Window vistas intact. I'd say maybe 1/3 is still devoted to the cozy chair groupings--but again, those are now partially devoted to library-type activities--laptop tables & such. The bar still there but no longer has bar seating (seems smaller too, but could be my imagination).

We cruised her last September. A good portion of the former Crow's Nest has been taken over as stated below. Window vistas intact. I'd say maybe 1/3 is still devoted to the cozy chair groupings--but again, those are now partially devoted to library-type activities--laptop tables & such. The bar still there but no longer has bar seating (seems smaller too, but could be my imagination).

We were on her for the November TA. The bar was still there, and there was still the bar seating. No dance floor, however. The library area, on the starboard side, was still there with the comfortable chairs, but very few books. I don't remember any laptop tables in the rest of the Crows Nest.

Sorry, the Oosterdam has already been converted. Crow's Nest a zoo of Library, computers, whatever, nothing going on at night there. at least that was last July.

Still there. The bar and the windows aren't going anywhere. The new stuff looks like it will be in between the bar area and the Explorations Cafe area. Unless the ship's Explorations Cafe isn't up with the Crow's Nest. Then it looks like the new stuff is towards the center/starboard of the room. This is based on some concept drawings and a concept video I saw.

We were on her for the November TA. The bar was still there, and there was still the bar seating. No dance floor, however.

I guess we'll find out when we get there in September! :)

New Exploration Central was supposed to open on Westerdam around May 23. Looking forward to someone sending pictures from onboard.

Last I heard Oosterdam hadn't been re-configured. Not sure if they will do it while sailing or wait until next drydock. I would certainly hope that there would be notification to passengers is it was planned during regular service. According to the press release:

"Besides Westerdam, which is getting the new EXC by May, the following (in no particular order) will also get the space by the end of 2018: Oosterdam, Zuiderdam, Noordam, Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam and Koningsdam."

If the Explorations Central is to be done to the Oosterdam by the end of 2018, it will have to be done while in service. The O was in drydock in 2016, and everything but the Explorations was done, i.e. Lincoln Center, removing the Crows Nest dance floor, and all but eliminating the library.

Like not the least used space but very likely not the most profitable. If the Crow's Nest was generating great income they wouldn't change it. Our last Westerdam cruise had Karaoke in the Crows Nest one evening and was packed. As I looked around over half of the tables had nothing but a menu on them. Crow's Nest is Prime real estate on the ship- just like in retail every square foot of public space is responsible for generating revenue and has a dollar value.

If they want to generate revenue then they need to put things there to make people spend $.

On the Rotterdam, we had the BBKings in the Crow's Nest and every table had a drink. - and they had Happy Hour there which helped.

On the Prinsendam, they have a piano man in the Crow's Nest and each time we have been on, it has been busy and the drinks flowing.

I don't see how this new set up will generate income, but I am not always the sharpest tool in the shed ;)

New Exploration Central was supposed to open on Westerdam around May 23. Looking forward to someone sending pictures from onboard.

Last I heard Oosterdam hadn't been re-configured. Not sure if they will do it while sailing or wait until next drydock. I would certainly hope that there would be notification to passengers is it was planned during regular service. According to the press release:

"Besides Westerdam, which is getting the new EXC by May, the following (in no particular order) will also get the space by the end of 2018: Oosterdam, Zuiderdam, Noordam, Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam and Koningsdam."

I find this interesting that Amsterdam is not listed as receiving EXC. Might it be because if it was changed there would be a revolt by the regular World Cruise guests, some of whom are President Club Members?

I find this interesting that Amsterdam is not listed as receiving EXC. Might it be because if it was changed there would be a revolt by the regular World Cruise guests, some of whom are President Club Members?

None of the S & R ships nor the Prinsendam are listed. I think it is a matter of space and the fact that the library is not in Crow's Nest on those ships?

At the bottom of the story:

While eight ships will get the full EXC treatment, Holland America also plans to create a “lite” version of that on the R-class ships – Amsterdam, Zaandam and Volendam.

So the concept won’t fully take over those smaller vessels' Crow’s Nest but there will be elements of EXC within the space.

Beyond that, “there are a couple of older ships that this remains a question mark,” Prince said. “We’re just not sure what we’re going to do with those yet. But the bulk of the fleet by early 2019 will have this experience.”

Interesting Rotterdam isn't listed- oversight or typo?

I wish thar HAL would release a schedule of when this will occur on the ships. I wonder if they are waiting to see how it is received on Westerdam. I seem to remember that Chocolate Seduction was originally going to be fleet wide when it was introduced on Westerdam

Interesting Rotterdam isn't listed- oversight or typo?

Very interesting. And a good question, too. I'll be as interested as anyone in seeing what the answer to that is.

Not happy with the changes, at all.

Here's a marketing test. Maybe HAL will pay attention to it.

When you hear these names, what impressions come to mind ?

My answers...

Crow's Nest: maritime tradition, quiet space, perfect late night bar, expansive views.

Explorations Central: impersonal, "central" reminds me of Grand Central Station (crowds), information overload (technology)

Edited by Boatdrill

Not happy with the changes, at all.

Here's a marketing test. Maybe HAL will pay attention to it.

When you hear these names, what impressions come to mind ?

My answers...

Crow's Nest: maritime tradition, quiet space, perfect late night bar, expansive views.

Explorations Central: impersonal, "central" reminds me of Grand Central Station (crowds), information overload (technology)

Definitely agree.. We're returning to HAL after 15+ years cruising other lines, and we were so looking forward to potentially making the Crow's Nest our go-to hangout based on what we had read, seen and heard about it.

Now with the changes... not so much.:(

I just got off the westerdamn yesterday and was not impressed with the "new" crows nest. We went a couple times after dinner to have a drink and the place was a ghost town. The chairs are not very comfortable and the library is in two places with travel books on one side and other books on the other side.

I just got off the westerdamn yesterday and was not impressed with the "new" crows nest. We went a couple times after dinner to have a drink and the place was a ghost town. The chairs are not very comfortable and the library is in two places with travel books on one side and other books on the other side.

How extensive was the non-travel library?

Since the Koningsdam is so new, I would presume that these proposed changes will not be implemented for a few years our until it goes into dry dock. I read in a different post that they were going to address passenger comments that there should be a more extensive library than what is there currently. If the space is that underutilized, they should find some purpose for it. The was a similar lounge on the Solstice when I said on it and that too seemed to be very under-utlilized.

Do you happen to have any pictures you can post?