Is SHARE being phased out?

LewesBeach

I think that what we are witnessing is a bit of a pasta throw on Princess' part. They are experimenting with different menus and venue concepts, throwing it out there as pop-ups or newly installed spaces on various ships and seeing which ones resonate and which ones don't.

Competing lines are introducing a variety of dining venues on their ships. Princess is lagging behind many of those lines in terms of variety of dining concepts. For the longest period of time the specialty dining has consisted of Sabatini's/Crown Grill/Sterling's/Bayou Cafe. If the direction Princess is going is reflected in the Caribbean Princess drydock updates, we will gradually see more dining venue variety across the fleet and different ships will have different dining options.

Cruise lines are keenly aware that increased profits are going to be based on the ship being more of a destination and a place where pax are willing to spend money in addition to what they have already spent for room and board.

Why would anyone pay an extra $39 to eat Chicken Pot Pie? :eek: While I may like CPP, I will never order it out! Although the only way that I get Liver & Onions is to order it out as DW really isn't a fan! ;p

Just Mike

Well, I guess that we will be stuck with Share's on the Emerald this coming Oct 28 Day Cruise. But there is no way that I will set foot inside the Share, so that primarily leaves me with the Crown Grill which I really enjoy. :)But it would have been nice to have Sabatini's which is my favorite! :D

Just Mike :whiskey-glass: (JD on the Rocks)

Have no fear, Mike. The Chicken Pot Pie is not on the SHARE menu. It is one of the Curtis Stone items served in the Dining Rooms. So, you'll pay for it when you make your final cruise payment. AND, you don't have to set foot in SHARE.

Kinda funny story. I have a good coffee shop buddy who cruises as much as anybody I know. While he enjoys a good meal as much as the next guy, he is not a foodie by any means. Since the first announcements of SHARE he has been not particularly enthusiastic about the venue. To him it just sounded to "fou fou." When I came back from my cruise on the Ruby, last October, and raved about my three SHARE dinners, he listened courteously, but I don't think he was sold. In December he and his wife took a cruise on the STAR. He saw the Curtis Stone Chicken Pot Pie on the dining room menu. He likes Chicken Pot Pie and thought he would order it. Interestingly enough, the waiter tried to discourage him from it. (My friend's wife is Phillipina and they always make great friends of the servers and stewards from the Phillipines.) He would not be denied. He ordered it and hated it.

Fast forward to last week. Now he is on the Ruby. His wife wants to try SHARE. So, they do. Bottom line is that he loved it, and his wife thought it was too "fou fou."

Editorial comment. I'm not exactly sure what "fou fou" means. I'm guessing that it is the same as the descriptor I've seen, often, here on Cruise Critic: "frou frou." I really don't have much of an idea what that means, either.

Please don't take that previous paragraph too seriously. It is just me being pompous.;)

When we were on the Emerald the staff was pushing SHARE so hard is became comical. At every turn they would be telling the people just how great the place was & the fantastic time they recently experienced eating there.

Anyone could see through the facade of their raves.

This explains why so many people have reported on another thread that they dined in Share three times on their recent cruise on the Emerald.

This explains why so many people have reported on another thread that they dined in Share three times on their recent cruise on the Emerald.

Possibly, but don't most new restaurants get a flock of new customers as soon as they open?

At the time they were giving tours of the place just to shop people what to expect (no tasting though). I'm not sure if they still do that or not.

Still trying to figure the Mark Down comment, does it mean they marked down the price.

Marked down as in didn't get as good a performance review as they would normally have got if they had been assigned to a different restaurant, due to lack of customers. That may affect future contracts.

Got it cheers,

So in summary, go to a Spec rest, on your own um how can you say. MMhh go to dinner on ya own bat, pay the extra, be unhappy, don't tip extra, because of service or what ever and then crucify the poor barstards by your own perceived school report. All for the sake of $29, Laughable, in the extreme.

Or have I got it wrong.

Make the circus seal perform, or else.

If I'm right, how sad, how very ,very, sad.

Again how very sad.

Got it cheers,

So in summary, go to a Spec rest, on your own um how can you say. MMhh go to dinner on ya own bat, pay the extra, be unhappy, don't tip extra, because of service or what ever and then crucify the poor barstards by your own perceived school report. All for the sake of $29, Laughable, in the extreme.

Or have I got it wrong.

Again how very sad.

Huh? You lost me. :)

Lots of service positions - and nanagement positions in the service industries - have customer survey results, customer comment card feedback, mystery shopper reports, etc. along with outlet performance metrics (in this case cover counts, revenues, margins, etc.) as meaningful parts of the compensation, retention, advancement, etc. determination.

Huh? You lost me. :)

Sorry, I find this whole mark-down, tipping thing offensive over a lousy $29.

Makes people crawl like animals, just for recognition.

But that's the tipping/service way.

Heres my take.

Cook my meal right, serve it, let me enjoy it, yah don't need to perform like a circus animal to gain my approval.

Marked down as in didn't get as good a performance review as they would normally have got if they had been assigned to a different restaurant, due to lack of customers. That may affect future contracts.
Hi,yes but the servers shouldnt be penalised over the crap food.Its goner be empty because of this problem.I hope the bosses realise this,cheers,Brian.

Or perhaps they (just like myself) really enjoyed it? I know that is an incredibly hard concept for some people to understand that others might like something someone else doesn't. I can fully accept someone doesn't like a particular food, or type of restaurant but I wouldn't go around saying it was bad food and not worth it - especially if I never even set foot in the place - just like 1 or 2 people on here who continually blast it but haven't been.

I always suggest to people to try something, and if they don't like then that's fine.

I for one will continue to enjoy SHARE along with the many others who have eaten there and enjoyed it.

Or perhaps they (just like myself) really enjoyed it? I know that is an incredibly hard concept for some people to understand that others might like something someone else doesn't. I can fully accept someone doesn't like a particular food, or type of restaurant but I wouldn't go around saying it was bad food and not worth it - especially if I never even set foot in the place - just like 1 or 2 people on here who continually blast it but haven't been.

I always suggest to people to try something, and if they don't like then that's fine.

I for one will continue to enjoy SHARE along with the many others who have eaten there and enjoyed it.

Enjoy it while it's still around. ;p

I wonder why they haven't expanded it to other ships? :D

Enjoy it while it's still around. ;p

I wonder why they haven't expanded it to other ships? :D

You may be correct. However, with the changes to the CB, Majestic and other ships it's probably safe to say that Princess seems to be moving away from the model where most ships have the exact same dining options. Perhaps they are looking to mix things up. This strategy might entice folks to try out a wider variety of ships because of the alternative choices. I for one hope to have the opportunity to try Share prior to its demise that you are assuming is inevitable. ;)

I for one hope to have the opportunity to try Share prior to its demise that you are assuming is inevitable. ;)

Who knows for sure what their fate will be but judging on the number of people I saw eating there it's no where near as popular as Sabatini's or the Crown. It always seem empty to me.

Got it cheers,

Or have I got it wrong.

Again how very sad.

Yes, very sad because the surveys don't allow comments for specific things attached to the ratings. From memory I think you only get the chance to rate things like Share as an overall rating. So if you didn't like Share and rated it low then that rating would also apply to the staff instead of just the overall experience. They should allow you to rate the service, the food, and the overall experience separately.

For example I rate Share a 4.This really comprises of:

Service 9

Food 2

Overall 6 because we liked the quiet ambience of Share on Sun and also had some excellent wine that we couldn't get elsewhere on the ship.

But since I can't highlight the fact that I thought most of the food was well below average, I lowered the only rating I can give to reflect that.

I actually thought the concept was great, but the execution was poor, especially on Sun Princess. The menu wasn't really appealing and certainly not really what I'd expect on a ship based in Australia and catering for Aussie tastes. There was a lot of cheese on the menu. in various forms. The dishes sounded heavy, and some were.

With a more thoughtful menu, more care in the preparation of dishes, and better marketing it could have been a roaring success but, sadly, it isn't.

Yes, very sad because the surveys don't allow comments for specific things attached to the ratings. From memory I think you only get the chance to rate things like Share as an overall rating. So if you didn't like Share and rated it low then that rating would also apply to the staff instead of just the overall experience. They should allow you to rate the service, the food, and the overall experience separately.

Service 9

Food 2

Overall 6 because we liked the quiet ambience of Share on Sun and also had some excellent wine that we couldn't get elsewhere on the ship.

But since I can't highlight the fact that I thought most of the food was well below average, I lowered the only rating I can give to reflect that.

Hi,I think that answers my post also.I think people shouldnt fill in these surveys from now on as it unfairly downgrades the servers,cheers,Brian.

Service 9

Food 2

Thank-You, a voice of reason.

No- one forces any-one into a spec rest.

Hi,I think that answers my post also.I think people shouldnt fill in these surveys from now on as it unfairly downgrades the servers,cheers,Brian.

But how else can you tell them the overall restaurant is a let down?

We do try to mention as many of the servers as we can in the comments section at the end.