CLL earnings - interesting comment on pricing

DaveOKC

This morning news release. CCL (HAL's parent) showed better than expected profits and stock is up to almost $60. Note the comment on pricing:

"Carnival Corporation & plc President and Chief Executive Officer Arnold Donald noted, "We are off to a good start delivering another quarter of operational improvement on top of a very strong first quarter last year. Our performance was driven by increased demand, particularly for our core Caribbean itineraries, leading to higher year-over-year ticket prices.... "

This morning news release. CCL (HAL's parent) showed better than expected profits and stock is up to almost $60. Note the comment on pricing:

"Carnival Corporation & plc President and Chief Executive Officer Arnold Donald noted, "We are off to a good start delivering another quarter of operational improvement on top of a very strong first quarter last year. Our performance was driven by increased demand, particularly for our core Caribbean itineraries, leading to higher year-over-year ticket prices.... "

It means they haven't had to slash prices to the bone to fill the ships...means fewer opportunities for last minute savings. Which is good news for us stockholders.

Thank you for posting the information.

There was many times when we sailed HAL in the Caribbean and the ships were always full!!

There are too many discount cruises in the Carib, particularly with the Megaships. HAL likely makes a lot more money in the summer by deploying their few ships in Alaska, Med and NW Europe. And than again how many Caribbean cruises can you make? There is so much else to see, which is one of the advantages of HAL over the other run-of the-mill cruise lines.

Edited by sparks247

Now if only HAL would length the Caribbean season.

I think this is the 'wrong side' for your suggestion but in fact in 2017/18 HAL did lengthen the season as they are bringing Koningsdam over a month earlier than in 2016.

Believe the comment is likely more on the spring side of the calendar...

I am sure HAL will be watching to see if "X" keeps their ship full all year in the Caribbean this year. They are really pushing their bookings with 'perks.'

I think this is the 'wrong side' for your suggestion but in fact in 2017/18 HAL did lengthen the season as they are bringing Koningsdam over a month earlier than in 2016.

I am sure HAL will be watching to see if "X" keeps their ship full all year in the Caribbean this year. They are really pushing their bookings with 'perks.'

I agree with your thoughts. With Celebrity Equinox sailing this Summer on Caribbean itineraries, I am sure HAL will be watching how well she books.

Princess is also going to put the Caribbean Princess in the Caribbean for the summer in 2018. How that ship does might also impact HAL. Though summer in the Caribbean seems to be family focused. Princess is making specific family focused changes to the Caribbean Princess prior to her deployment next year.