Live on Infinity / Panama Canal

Jane2357

Yesterdays crossing through the canal was fascinating! We were up before daylight to snag a place on the rail on deck 11. With light clouds helping with the sun - it was perfect for viewing. Get there early to hold your spot. After traveling through the first set of locks and having missed breakfast completely (I'm not using the buffet this cruise to see if I can stay healthy for once) - we went to Michael's club for refreshments and we then ducked in and out the deck side door (deck 4) for the wonderful side viewing. Later we moved up to our own balcony - deck 6 in the bumped out/forward facing celebrity suite. This is GREAT cabin for viewing from your deck!!! If you have this one booked - you will be happy.

Last evening there was a little music in Michael's - dinner in Luminae and a stroll about. After a long day in the sun the ship seemed quiet. Sea day today and we have Chic dinner tonight with the Hotel Director - Mr. Scheepers and the F&B Director Mr. Jelavic. This is our first ever invite and while not the Captain, I certainly very much appreciate the experience.

Tomorrow is Puntarenas, Costa Rica where we are doing a tour through Giotours.

Meeting P&O Aurora:

Aur23_zpsxeiin0ny.jpg

We knew she was coming as a fellow passenger in Luminae clued us in and we all watched her go past. Her passengers all seemed to know that we were coming and many were out on deck, waving and waving flags. Very very cool experience!

Thanks for bringing us along! We haven't been on Infinity In many years. We sailed Millennium westbound through the canal & have photos & a video of Infinity passing right by us traveling eastbound in Gatun Lake. Guests on both ships were notified on the passing & we all waved as we passed each otger. Very cool.

It would be great to see the control room & even better to walk across the top of the locks!

This cruise has been beyond my imagination. With a few oops along the way we continue to have a wonderful time. A couple of things I'll mention - these are only my opinion.

We've always had wonderful service from the Dry Cleaning. This time they have ruined DH's new shirt -- we are waiting to see what they offer to compensate us. $80. Tommy Bahama

It is my opinion that Michael's Club has an issue in that they are taking servers and trying to make them bar tenders. So they wait on you and then have to go make the drinks -- this results in S L O W service. I would think during peak times they could offer an actual bar tender.

We did have dinner with the Food and Beverage Manager at an officers table the other evening but didn't feel that was the time to discuss this problem. We actually were sitting with the Hotel Director and has a wonderful evening in Tuscan with the photo and rose and all. Our first time and I don't expect to ever get the experience again but it was nice.

For those that wonder - one couple at that table were first time X cruisers, young and in a suite. The couple across from us - the man had been a ship's captain on a commercial ship. For us this was our first cruise as Elite and we were also in a suite. The other couple were at the other end and we didn't much chance to speak to them.

Yesterday we were in Costa Rica and took a CC roll call organized tour with GioTours - 8 in 1. I highly recommend them. Good english skills, brand new bus with air conditioning. Highlites would have been the white faced capuchin monkeys - yes I had one on me eating a bite of banana. Awesome. They crawl on your arms and sit on your shoulder or hang on your head. lol. Was glad for a shower later. We also did the jungle boat safari crocodile tour. OMGosh - this was almost too unclose. The photos we got were unbelievable. When they say DO NOT POINT OVER THE EDGE of the boat - there is a reason.

Sea day today to try to rest up -- tomorrow is Guatemala.

If I fail to return here -- I'll finish up after the cruise - I'm running out of minutes -- now in suites they've been giving the new bookings unlimited but that wasn't the case back with the 1,2,3 Go when we booked.

"It is my opinion that Michael's Club has an issue in that they are taking servers and trying to make them bar tenders. So they wait on you and then have to go make the drinks -- this results in S L O W service. I would think during peak times they could offer an actual bar tender."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that the issue with M-Class Michael's Club is the absence of a true full-size bar and bar-tender like on S-Class. The bar is rather small but I agree they could still provide a bar tender in peak pre-dinner times. On Infinity speak to the Michael's Club concierge (is it still Erick?) and he might be able to get an extra server to help with the slow service ot even a bartender. On our cruise last year he actually got back there once or twice and was making drinks!

Jane,

loving your review especially your tour thoughts! We are booked for October, and I have sent tour inquiries. I am disappointed to hear you don't have unlimited internet minutes. Sometimes I do not understand Celebrity especially for how much the suites cost. Have a wonderful rest of your cruise.

We're doing this cruise in November, but the other way. Can't wait to follow along and get some tips. Thanks for posting. If you've booked any private tours I'd love to know how they go.

Hi,

We are also booked in Nov. Departing 23rd. Is that one you are on?

I will watch this post as well.

Char

Embarkation 4/2 was delayed due to a heavy cleaning and two separate inspections. Check in however was easy and quick. We waited in Michael's for a bit, ate lunch in Luminae. Cabins opened around 2:30.

Ship is in great shape and spotless. Friendly crew and passengers. Was out walking this morning around 7:30 on our first sea day - not a saved seat around the pool so I hope this means the chair hogs missed the ship. LOL.

Went to Beyond Podium talk today - Bill Fall was very good. Cruise Critic party was a 9:30 and well attended.

Tonight is Chic night.

If I can answer any questions please let me know. I will not be posting photos but I'll help if I can.

Hi Jane,

I will be following your posts. We are taking this cruise Nov 23rd.

Char

Hi Jane,

Totally enjoying your review! We don't sail again until December and I'm already antsy and wishing the months will fly by. Looks as though you are having some extraordinary experiences.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app