Explosion in St. Petersburg, Russia Subway

Taters

I just finished reading this and am concerned. My Koningsdam cruise departs in May and seeing the subway in St. Petersburg is something that is included in my tour. I can only hope that there are not more incidents like this. They do not yet know if it is terror related. I feel so badly for the people that were killed and injured. :(

https://www.adn.com/nation-world/2017/04/03/explosions-in-russia-subway-stations-kill-at-least-10/

We visited St. Petersburg in 2012 and had a wonderful tour of the city, including going down into the deepest subway station in the world. Let's hope this does not make things too hard for us travelers. We don't know who did this yet. Let's hope it was a one-off occurrence. :(

Terror is an issue World Wide nowadays unfortunately.

No need to alter your plans, these things can happen in any major city or even town nowadays, whether it be a mass shooting by a troubled teenager or an ISIS act of terrorism, we can either hide within our bubble or not let Evil win our fears.

I just finished reading this and am concerned. My Koningsdam cruise departs in May and seeing the subway in St. Petersburg is something that is included in my tour. I can only hope that there are not more incidents like this. They do not yet know if it is terror related. I feel so badly for the people that were killed and injured. :(

https://www.adn.com/nation-world/2017/04/03/explosions-in-russia-subway-stations-kill-at-least-10/

I can understand your concern. I feel sad for the injured and families of those killed. Fortunately, the second device didn't go off.

However, my theory is that terrorists like the element of surprise, so are unlikely to repeat an attack on the subway in St. Petersburg. So enjoy your tour which includes the beautiful subways in St. Petersburg.

My condolences to those injured or who lost their lives in this horrific attack.

We will be on Koningsdam in May for 14 nights in Europe and yes, we will be as vigilant as possible. Unfortunately, this is our world now and and we either accept it and live our lives or stay home and feel safe. Everyone has their own comfort level and that needs to be respected.

Talking about security, isn't it time that cruise liners (not just Holland America but all cruise companies) take more attention towards security? We cannot just think that terrorists only attack ports and cities on land. Sure, it will affect and inconvenience a lot of people if security checks are increased, but would your safety not come before your inconvenience?

We wonder how often and how thoroughly cruise liners scan suitcases and luggages when they get on board?

And we hope too that they do a thorough security check on the background of their staff before they are employed. And even that, they need to be regularly monitored, just in case they might be "influenced" by any terrorist organisation during their employment.

And what about port staff? Are they thoroughly vetted before they are employed as tightly they do in airports? And same goes with others involved in servicing the ships, including delivery personnel.

Also, are passengers being given basic instructions on what to do if a terrorist incident occur? Or are they left to their own devices?

And God forbid, if there was any security incident on board any cruise ship, how well-trained are their staff to deal that? They are trained to deal with evacuations and practice emergency drills regularly, but what about terrorist attacks, do they get any practice on how what to do? Does any of their security personnel even know how to handle armed attackers?

We are fortunate that cruises are so-far free from terrorism. But we cannot take things for granted.

Sorry to have to mention this, this not a very pleasant subject to discuss. However, in this troublesome age we live in, we may have to be realistic, and be prepared, When you are prepared, you could hopefully discourage and prevent such incidences happening. We all want a safe and enjoyable cruise.

Edited by Cahpek