what cant you bring back from a port ?

You can bring booze, you just won't see it again until you are back at the home port.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Not always correct, Steve, when we came back from port, Jamaica, on Anthem last year, I was told to take my Rum Cream to any bar to have it held. Well, I had to use the bathroom really bad, so went back to our cabin. As I thought about this statement, I found it quite humorous....now we have to police ourselves?

The Rum Cream was for taking home anyway, and we did have the drink package. We had made friends with many bartenders, and thought they would laugh at me.

Yes, I'm a criminal..:'):') I guess in Royal's eyes.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and post #2

Fresh fruit is a big one they will not let on.

Booze is interesting. Sometimes they will take it when you get on board- to be returned on the last day. Sometimes you get to keep it. Plan on taking it home with you instead of consuming on board.

Sea shells, starfish (unless you store it in your stateroom bathtub).

Bob, do you know the reason why shells are not permitted? We got some really nice ones on Bernard's tour the other year and they confiscated them when we got on ship. My six year old was devastated. I really had no idea they would be confiscated, guess I'm out of the loop.

Bob, do you know the reason why shells are not permitted? We got some really nice ones on Bernard's tour the other year and they confiscated them when we got on ship. My six year old was devastated. I really had no idea they would be confiscated, guess I'm out of the loop.

Here's an old thread on the subject:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1978999

Seashells

Ok sorry I didn't read the thread first. You also can't bring sand.

Oh, and don't buy one of those palm tree hats they make on the beach and expect to take them home either. Basically you can't bring plant or animal life (or death).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This thread made me think about how our young Nieces wanted some shells from our stops on a cruise. I don't remember where we were but we stopped at a small souvenir shop and picked up a couple of small baskets of shells wrapped in clear cellophane. When we got home we proudly gave them their shells. To our shock, there was a label on the bottom of the baskets "Made in Biloxi, MS.". Guess what, Biloxi is about a 60 mile drive from our home, and our preferred airport is Gulfport Biloxi Regional Airport. One of the girls said "those shells really swam a long ways didn't they". All of us laughed so hard we were crying. The shells disappeared into numerous art projects but we still have the baskets with the labels attached.

No problem getting on or off the ship with our prized Made in Mississippi shells.

You can bring booze, you just won't see it again until you are back at the home port.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

And sometimes not even then. One of mine mysteriously disappeared.

This thread made me think about how our young Nieces wanted some shells from our stops on a cruise. I don't remember where we were but we stopped at a small souvenir shop and picked up a couple of small baskets of shells wrapped in clear cellophane. When we got home we proudly gave them their shells. To our shock, there was a label on the bottom of the baskets "Made in Biloxi, MS.". Guess what, Biloxi is about a 60 mile drive from our home, and our preferred airport is Gulfport Biloxi Regional Airport. One of the girls said "those shells really swam a long ways didn't they". All of us laughed so hard we were crying. The shells disappeared into numerous art projects but we still have the baskets with the labels attached.

No problem getting on or off the ship with our prized Made in Mississippi shells.

That's funny [emoji23]

Other than the stuff that is stuck all over you body, of course. ;)

Haha this is true. I still have plenty of sand in the mesh side pocket of my beach bag, which I discovered when pulling it out of top of the closet recently and getting sand in my eyes.

I'm glad I stumbled on this thread because I've always wanted one of those big conch shells they sell on the various islands, but I've never bought one because I thought it was prohibited or illegal. Are they prohibited and/or illegal to take into the US and/or on the cruise ship and if so, why do they try to dupe people into buying them? We saw them for sale on a snorkel excursion in St. Thomas, after our tour guide gave us fresh conch to eat and I really wanted to buy the shell as a memento. Also saw them for sale on the beach in Punta Cana recently and wondered if I'd be stopped by customs or someone else with that shell in my bag.

I'm glad I stumbled on this thread because I've always wanted one of those big conch shells they sell on the various islands, but I've never bought one because I thought it was prohibited or illegal. Are they prohibited and/or illegal to take into the US and/or on the cruise ship and if so, why do they try to dupe people into buying them? We saw them for sale on a snorkel excursion in St. Thomas, after our tour guide gave us fresh conch to eat and I really wanted to buy the shell as a memento. Also saw them for sale on the beach in Punta Cana recently and wondered if I'd be stopped by customs or someone else with that shell in my bag.

I think the big conch shells you buy at the shops are ok, at least to bring on the ship. I'm not sure if you can get them through customs or not. I don't know why they let people buy those but can't bring the many shells that litter the shores of beaches, but my guess is it's because of the invisible microbes and bacteria and other living organisms that you can bring back with you on those beach shells (and other plant or animal life). The shells from the store are cleaned and probably go through some special process to make sure the bacterium are gone. I'm really not sure though if you can get those on the plane or not.