New customs procedures when returning?

perditax

I've read a few threads here and there where people mention new procedures when clearing customs after a cruise, specifically for closed loop cruises in the Caribbean. I tried googling it, and is it just me or is google getting really useless? And I can't find anything about it. Can anyone explain with these new procedures are? The cruises I would have read about would've been closed loop cruises returning to Miami.

Basically just trying to figure out if I need to declare small ticket items like Christmas tree decorations from cozumel. No booze or cigarettes or food.

The law is, and has been, that all items acquired outside the USA need to be declared at immigrations and customs. Not necessarily an individually itemized list (one could group the "christmas ornaments") but it's not just for booze and cigs. Those t-shirts, yep. The sunglasses and knick-knacks, yep.

There is also greater scrutiny for those entering, both citizens and aliens. Searches of possessions, including electronic devices, may be greater. Not sure why you can't find news stories about it.

I haven't had issues within generic line titled "souvenirs" above the line(s) detailing the booze.

Back in the 80s or 90s the rules on declaring were slightly different in that you were to enter the value of everything and only itemize if the value of everything was above some threshold.

Anywhere I have traveled, I have always done an itemization of what I've purchased and have with me. By groups (clothes - 12 items, jewelry - 4 pieces) and total pricing. Yep, down to the penny. I never thought "well, I have those Christmas trinkets, they are not worth mentioning." I've gotten a few chuckles from the Customs officials (before I got Global Entry) when they see my declaration page. And, I keep every receipt.

It's not new. Some just haven't taken it seriously.

The law is, and has been, that all items acquired outside the USA need to be declared at immigrations and customs. Not necessarily an individually itemized list (one could group the "christmas ornaments") but it's not just for booze and cigs. Those t-shirts, yep. The sunglasses and knick-knacks, yep.

There is also greater scrutiny for those entering, both citizens and aliens. Searches of possessions, including electronic devices, may be greater. Not sure why you can't find news stories about it.

I don't know that the greater scrutiny is happening on closed looped cruises since most of the scrutiny occurs during the cruise when CBP runs everyone through the government databases. I have heard and read that CBP may be changing when people are required to fill out the declaration form, basically only requiring it if one has purchased items over the duty free allowance.

I don't know that the greater scrutiny is happening on closed looped cruises since most of the scrutiny occurs during the cruise when CBP runs everyone through the government databases. I have heard and read that CBP may be changing when people are required to fill out the declaration form, basically only requiring it if one has purchased items over the duty free allowance.

Yes, this last part is what I was talking about. I believe people have been saying they don't have to fill out those forms, but wasn't sure I understood correctly.

(Based on all the lectures I got, apparently I wasn't clear enough. I'm asking about NEW PROCEDURES, as in NEW, not as in "what can I get away with". Sheesh.)

Yes, this last part is what I was talking about. I believe people have been saying they don't have to fill out those forms, but wasn't sure I understood correctly.

(Based on all the lectures I got, apparently I wasn't clear enough. I'm asking about NEW PROCEDURES, as in NEW, not as in "what can I get away with". Sheesh.)

Maybe you saw articles or postings about the new Mobile Passport Control app that is being used in both Port of Miami (I think) and Port Everglades? https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/mobile-passport-control.

No, travelers will answer questions electronically via their smartphone or tablet. CBP officers will verbally verify this information. If a traveler has already filled out a CBP declaration form, it can be given to a CBP Officer for shredding.

Moblie Passport App is only available at Port Everglades as of this week. Miami might be in the future. It is also available for a number of airports. No other cruise port is available right now.

Maybe you saw articles or postings about the new Mobile Passport Control app that is being used in both Port of Miami (I think) and Port Everglades? https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/mobile-passport-control.

No, travelers will answer questions electronically via their smartphone or tablet. CBP officers will verbally verify this information. If a traveler has already filled out a CBP declaration form, it can be given to a CBP Officer for shredding.

I've heard about this ^^ but I don't think this is precisely it either.

I'll try to backtrack where I picked up the info in the first place. I've been reading a lot of threads about bad disembarkation happening from the NCL Getaway (at Port of Miami specifically), and people are saying stuff in passing along the lines of '...it was fine once we were off the ship, you don't even have to fill out the forms anymore'. So it's all been pretty anecdotal, and I was trying to figure out what they meant. Sounds like whatever it is, either the people posting have been misinformed, I was suffering from reading comprehension, or the info just isn't officially out there yet.

I've read a few threads here and there where people mention new procedures when clearing customs after a cruise, specifically for closed loop cruises in the Caribbean. I tried googling it, and is it just me or is google getting really useless? And I can't find anything about it. Can anyone explain with these new procedures are? The cruises I would have read about would've been closed loop cruises returning to Miami.

Basically just trying to figure out if I need to declare small ticket items like Christmas tree decorations from cozumel. No booze or cigarettes or food.

I came back through Miami the week after the new procedures began. As long as you are under your limits you do not fill out the old customs card, you just go through immigration. I did not see anyone who had anything to declare so I can't tell you how that works, but it is really easy if all you have is a few souvenirs.

You in effect make an oral declaration that you are in compliance with the law and that is it, no forms and no questions asked.

I came back through Miami the week after the new procedures began. As long as you are under your limits you do not fill out the old customs card, you just go through immigration. I did not see anyone who had anything to declare so I can't tell you how that works, but it is really easy if all you have is a few souvenirs.

You in effect make an oral declaration that you are in compliance with the law and that is it, no forms and no questions asked.

If you have not spent more than allowed no reason to itemize... we have never done so on flights or cruises.

If you have not spent more than allowed no reason to itemize... we have never done so on flights or cruises.

The next time you complete a paper form read the instructions carefully.

Important Information

U.S. Residents—Declare all articles that you have acquired abroad and are

bringing into the United States.

Declare all articles on this declaration form and show the value in U.S. dollars.

For gifts, please indicate the retail value.

I think the instructions used to say to itemize only if above the limit but the current form tells you otherwise.

Of course, you've demonstrated that the agents never look at the back to see if anything's there...

Had an interesting thing with customs. The Maitre'd gave me a bottle of wine EVERY night. Then he found out it was our anniversary so sent a bottle of Champaign to our cabin (but still got wine that night!). Then, the CD sent a bottle of Champaign too.

I had to list 9 bottles and put gift as cost. I did not buy these so there was no problem with customs getting off the ship. I learned I had to list them even though I didn't buy them.

Once a singer we got to know wanted to sent my husband a bottle of Tanqueray but found out it would not be delivered until the last night. So, he sent him vouchers for 8 drinks which my husband used to get 8 gin & tonics!

That's the way it was when we entered Germany and it was so much easier. Someone probably figured out that the forms are a waste of time and money.

I have had to declare an expensive piece of jewelry bought overseas. We have Global Entry and did not do the form, just at the kiosk we indicated that we were over the limit. We brought the slip to the CBP guy and as we handed it to him, asked where we go to pay duty. He smiled and thanked us for our honesty, and pointed to a small room.

She took the price we paid for the jewelry, applied both of our exemptions against it, and charged us duty on the remaining balance. She said she wasn't worried about the "pennies" for the other $300 or so worth of small souvenir items we had declared.

We returned to FLL from a Caribbean cruise in Feb. We bought just a few little things and on the declaration just put a total of $50. No questions, no issues, just moved right through the line.

I had to list 9 bottles and put gift as cost. I did not buy these so there was no problem with customs getting off the ship. I learned I had to list them even though I didn't buy them.

Just FYI, the instructions say to state the market value of any gifts received.

Just curious

Were you taking these home or do you still need to declare them even if you drink them onboard??

Just curious

Were you taking these home or do you still need to declare them even if you drink them onboard??

Only if you are bringing them INTO the country. Anything you buy or receive as a gift while overseas and consume before return to the US doesn't need to be declared. If it did, I'd be broke paying duty on a verrryyyyy expensive meal with a £2000 bar tab we were treated to the last time we were in London. ;p

Only if you are bringing them INTO the country. Anything you buy or receive as a gift while overseas and consume before return to the US doesn't need to be declared. If it did, I'd be broke paying duty on a verrryyyyy expensive meal with a £2000 bar tabwe were treated to the last time we were in London. ;p

Exactly. It helps to remember that if we are paying duty it is import duty.

Only if you are bringing them INTO the country. Anything you buy or receive as a gift while overseas and consume before return to the US doesn't need to be declared.

That is what I thought

I just found Bonnie's post confusing

I guess they were bringing the 9 bottles of wine & Champagne home rather than enjoy it onboard

You do not have declare anything you drink or eat on board! You're not taking that/them off the ship!

I just could not understand why you would have to list the bottles of wine you got onboard as you stated in post #14

most people would drink the wine onboard ...I would ;)