Princess Australia has a new rule from the Australian Govenment

David if your doing a coastal cruise they put a sticker on your card so they know what you are doing

its some BS thing from our Government and i believe its something new

Not really everthing that involves GOV, usually precedes with a B.S sticker.

We did a short cruise on the Rhapsody of the Seas way back perhaps 2007 when it first arrived in Australia, no ports.....it was a charity RFD's cruise.

All the shops were open, selling duty free. I don't think they realised they were not supposed to be selling :eek:. We and everyone else walked off with as much as we could carry, we had about 7 bottles of spirits!! No customs, just walked off:') Got it on our little propellar plane home, bar was stocked with Bailey's, Midori, Bacardi, bit of Sambucca;p

OMG I think Royal realised their mistake!!....yep those days won't happen again!

Believe me it does 2016, but I'm being quiet sshhh.

We did a Brisbane-Sydney Sea Princess in January which was part of Circle South America and I bought a key ring in the gift shop.

Wow,please don't post this on the main boards, the purists will have you arrested.

You bad thing you, a key-ring.

CONTRABAND, off to the naughty room with ya, to be chained, slashed and leathered.

MMMhhh.

Wow,please don't post this on the main boards, the purists will have you arrested.

You bad thing you, a key-ring.

CONTRABAND, off to the naughty room with ya, to be chained, slashed and leathered.

MMMhhh.

It wasn't just an everyday keyring. It was an I Love Cruising one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a January cruise to Tasmania on Dawn Princess, which then sailed to NZ after returning to Sydney, we were limited to $50. Our cruise card had a second punch to indicate we were domestic only. We purchased over $100 in total using multi visits to the shops. No alcohol.

On the Sun Princess last week on a 2 night Brisbane to Sydney same double punch and also a green sticker to indicate domestic. Cruise was continuing onto PNG and Islands. No purchases allowed except personal use items, i.e. Sun cream etc. I mentioned how Dawn allowed purchases from gift store, but NO was the answer. We wanted to purchase some children's books for the GC.

Changed to Sea Princess from Sydney and same as Sun Princess.

On a January cruise to Tasmania on Dawn Princess, which then sailed to NZ after returning to Sydney, we were limited to $50. Our cruise card had a second punch to indicate we were domestic only. We purchased over $100 in total using multi visits to the shops. No alcohol.

On the Sun Princess last week on a 2 night Brisbane to Sydney same double punch and also a green sticker to indicate domestic. Cruise was continuing onto PNG and Islands. No purchases allowed except personal use items, i.e. Sun cream etc. I mentioned how Dawn allowed purchases from gift store, but NO was the answer. We wanted to purchase some children's books for the GC.

Changed to Sea Princess from Sydney and same as Sun Princess.

Certainly appears to be a change in policy.

Certainly appears to be a change in policy.

in my OP i forgot to mention the double punch so the staff in the gift shop must know that domestic passengers by the double punch and the sticker

i'm still wondering will it filter thru to the other cruise lines too

in my OP i forgot to mention the double punch so the staff in the gift shop must know that domestic passengers by the double punch and the sticker

i'm still wondering will it filter thru to the other cruise lines too

Perhaps to the international lines like X and Royal, etc, but I would think P&O would be safe to continue operating as usual.

Perhaps to the international lines like X and Royal, etc, but I would think P&O would be safe to continue operating as usual.

if Princess Australia has the ban why would p&o be exempt

Morning sportsfans....I think I have told this story before on here, anyway tell it again. Back in February 2004, we did a coastal cruise on the new Star Princess from Sydney to Darwin via Brisbane, Yorkeys Knob (Cairns) and into Darwin. About a 1000 Aussies embarked in Sydney and Brisbane. The ship after Darwin was going on through Asia to the Med. It was early days for Princess in Australia, back then. No ships like Dawn/Sea/Sun Princess stationed here then.

A couple of days after Yorkeys Knob, there was an announcement in the Princess Patter that Australian passengers embarking in Sydney/Brisbane and disembarking in Darwin could purchase and take off two bottles of duty free spirits.:D

Anyway most of us did that. Within a day or two before reaching Darwin a rumour spread around the ship that we would be charged duty on our alcohol purchases at Darwin. Of course pax were not happy, having been told by ship's shop staff we could take it off duty free. So we reach Darwin, Customs Officers at the gangway, lot of heated discussion with them and pax re duty payable. In the end Customs relented and let us all off with our duty free. Telling us they would recover the duty payable from the cruise line as they had done the wrong thing with their advice to pax.

Couple of days later in Darwin on a post cruise tour to Kakadu I was asked by a fellow passenger if I had taken duty free grog off the ship, I replied 'Yes.' He said well, the cruise line has been fined by Customs and had to pay $20,000 in duty for all the grog taken off. This bloke also said he was a retired Chief Customs Officer and he had told the ship's shop manager and Food and Beverage Manager that we could not take duty free off. The Manager ignored him so the ex Customs bloke contacted Darwin Customs and they were ready waiting for us.

Happy ending for us, but not for Princess. Runs alongside the current topic.:halo:

i took my grandson on a coastal cruise from Brisbane to Sydney on the Sun Princess which we got off yesterday and he wanted to get a souvenior pen from the gift shop but they have a new ruling out (not sure when it started) unless you have been to an overseas port you cannot buy anything from the gift shop including lanyards....i was shown the paper from the Australian Government that forbids them selling anything unless leaving Australia so this will affect all cruises in Australia....if the other ships that only sail in Australian waters it should affect them if they follow the Government ruling

What about headache pills or sea sick pill or a tube of ye olde Pringles, surely they sell them to any passenger?:hearteyes:

Morning sportsfans....I think I have told this story before on here, anyway tell it again. Back in February 2004, we did a coastal cruise on the new Star Princess from Sydney to Darwin via Brisbane, Yorkeys Knob (Cairns) and into Darwin. About a 1000 Aussies embarked in Sydney and Brisbane. The ship after Darwin was going on through Asia to the Med. It was early days for Princess in Australia, back then. No ships like Dawn/Sea/Sun Princess stationed here then.

A couple of days after Yorkeys Knob, there was an announcement in the Princess Patter that Australian passengers embarking in Sydney/Brisbane and disembarking in Darwin could purchase and take off two bottles of duty free spirits.:D

Anyway most of us did that. Within a day or two before reaching Darwin a rumour spread around the ship that we would be charged duty on our alcohol purchases at Darwin. Of course pax were not happy, having been told by ship's shop staff we could take it off duty free. So we reach Darwin, Customs Officers at the gangway, lot of heated discussion with them and pax re duty payable. In the end Customs relented and let us all off with our duty free. Telling us they would recover the duty payable from the cruise line as they had done the wrong thing with their advice to pax.

Couple of days later in Darwin on a post cruise tour to Kakadu I was asked by a fellow passenger if I had taken duty free grog off the ship, I replied 'Yes.' He said well, the cruise line has been fined by Customs and had to pay $20,000 in duty for all the grog taken off. This bloke also said he was a retired Chief Customs Officer and he had told the ship's shop manager and Food and Beverage Manager that we could not take duty free off. The Manager ignored him so the ex Customs bloke contacted Darwin Customs and they were ready waiting for us.

Happy ending for us, but not for Princess. Runs alongside the current topic.:halo:

Wow, I know it is the law but so should have Princess, costly mistake for them.

no i dont buy that

who would know what the staff get as a wage

Who cares what they earn.

My point was how they are paid for the shop service and how P&O Australia have their stock being sold. As in meeting Australian laws and standards.