First Upgrade Offer! Laughed At It!

elliair

Our Travel Agent called me last night and said Princess is offering us an upgrade from a Caribe balcony to a minisuite for $250 pp! She went on to say, "you will get a bath tub and an extra TV!" I laughed and told her we don't take baths only showers and we don't need another TV. Why don't they just give it to us for being loyal customers?" I went on to say, call them back and tell them what I said. For $500 we can buy a wine package with money left over. Are free upgrades a thing of the past?

I've been on more Princess cruises than you, but when it comes to upgrades I don't have any sense of entitlement. And plenty of people pay more for a mini than they would for a balcony. Are you implying they're laughable?

Our Travel Agent called me last night and said Princess is offering us an upgrade from a Caribe balcony to a minisuite for $250 pp! She went on to say, "you will get a bath tub and an extra TV!" I laughed and told her we don't take baths only showers and we don't need another TV. Why don't they just give it to us for being loyal customers?" I went on to say, call them back and tell them what I said. For $500 we can buy a wine package with money left over. Are free upgrades a thing of the past?

When do you sail? We received an upgrade offer last year from a guarantee balcony to a mini suite for $129 pp a month out from sailing. It was a much better deal than what minis had been going for and so we took it. That was for a 7-day cruise

We've also received lots of freebie upgrades in the past, having hit the mother load on cruise #2[emoji33] but that was definitely a fluke

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hard to know what your upsell is worth without knowing how long your cruise is, and where you're going.

If it's a week to nowhere special, $250 each might seem a stretch. If it's a 10-day or two-week cruise, and especially if it's to an exotic locale, then it might be a real deal. Details matter.

Jim

Are free upgrades a thing of the past?

As you can tell by posts on many other threads, posters are practically begging for Princess to call them with an upsell offer.

As long as the demand is there for upsells, there will be less free upgrades than in the past.

If everyone would turn down an upsell, more free upgrades might result.

I've been on more Princess cruises than you, but when it comes to upgrades I don't have any sense of entitlement. And plenty of people pay more for a mini than they would for a balcony. Are you implying they're laughable?

The offer was laughable.

Hard to know what your upsell is worth without knowing how long your cruise is, and where you're going.

If it's a week to nowhere special, $250 each might seem a stretch. If it's a 10-day or two-week cruise, and especially if it's to an exotic locale, then it might be a real deal. Details matter.

Jim

It's a 10-day out of San Francisco to Alaska. We've always booked a Caribe balcony and have been happy with it. Never occurred to us to ever book a mini suite as we've never justified the extra cost. An additional $500 for a tub and a TV is not what we think is of any value.

So what would have been acceptable to you?????

A free upgrade. I read about people here getting free upgrades. The upgrade fairy called, blah, blah, blah. Well, the upgrade fairy called and the deal sucked.

A free upgrade. I read about people here getting free upgrades. The upgrade fairy called, blah, blah, blah. Well, the upgrade fairy called and the deal sucked.

No "The Upsell Fairy" called there's a difference.

If you had something you could get $250 for, or give away for free. Which would you do????????:confused:

Actually, it's $500 that they are wanting me to purchase on a bath tub and an additional TV. That's no bargain IMHO. It's laughable to me and DH.

As you can tell by posts on many other threads, posters are practically begging for Princess to call them with an upsell offer.

As long as the demand is there for upsells, there will be less free upgrades than in the past.

If everyone would turn down an upsell, more free upgrades might result.

Well, we turned it down, let them call someone who will think it's a bargain. We'll keep the $500 in our pocket. :cool:

Actually, it's $500 that they are wanting me to purchase on a bath tub and an additional TV. That's no bargain IMHO. It's laughable to me and DH.

And how much extra would it have cost at the time you booked.

Matters not, the upsell fairy went away empty handed. We win!

Well not if they sold it to someone else.

But hey sounds like you've got an issue with others getting free upgrades.

Looks like the difference in price between a balcony and mini is almost $900 PP. I would jump at a chance to upgrade to a mini for $250 PP. It's just not having a bathtub. The bathroom is twice as big as a normal balcony if not a bit bigger. You also have a larger living area with a sofa. Almost like having two small rooms to spend time in. The mini's are extremely comfortable for longer cruises. But to each his own. Enjoy your balcony stateroom

I don't understand this at all.

The OP was offered the opportunity to move from a balcony to a mini-suite at a fraction of the cost paid by most of the other occupants of mini-suites.

OK, we all have different views on value and I can understand someone taking the view that they can find better use for $500 than using it to upgrade to a mini-suite, BUT what I can't understand is why he/she should apparently get so angry because they received an offer they did not want.

Just turn it down and accept that it will be taken up by one of the many folks who would welcome such an offer.

Hopefully Princess will read this thread, use the information contained in it to identify the OP and then make a decision not to make the OP any future offers on the basis that it would appear they are only going to turn an otherwise satisfied customer into a dissatisfied customer.

I love a mini suite - A welcome glass of champagne, much larger bathroom, extra lounge space to relax and a sofa, upgraded amenities (robes, pillows, mattresses), plus some little bits here and there I am sure. We pay just for the extra space in the living area and a decent sized bathroom. Well worth $250 upgrade!

But each to their own, and what they value or regards as value. I wish I had that offer!

I desperately wanted to upgrade our cabin from interior to balcony when i saw the balcony go on sale. It was going to be an extra $500pp but Princess wouldnt allow me to chnage the booking I had. They would only allow me to cancel the original booking and rebook at the new fare type/cabin type etc. they said I would lose my all the deposit i had paid because it was under 6 months before sail date - seems so crazy to me now reading about these upgrade offers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums