Many thanks to all you Aussies and Kiwis

Hi all

Well, we are now safely home after our 32 days in Australia and NZ, time divided between Sydney and cruises. We were on the Solstice Mar 13-25, then the Radiance (to NZ) Mar 28--Apr 10.

I wanted to thank all of you who were so generous and helpful in advice. You made it so easy for us to do things, from getting the train from the airport to where to eat and shop for groceries, thank you all. I know I won't remember all the screen names but Gut2407, Mic Canberra, Possum52, Bpos, OzKiwiJJ, chesterbear, lucymorgan, Elorac123, Docker123, SinbadThePorter, Aus Traveller, Mr Walker, joandian, Babsjo, MrsWaldo, Hawka, The_Big_M, ozdevil, and lyndarra. I'm sure I missed some of you, not intentional, thanks to everyone who posted their thoughts and ideas.

We saw all of Sydney, ate a lot of excellent meals, saw footy (Swans are not having a good season so far. But, we got T-shirts, flags and footy balls for the opening day!!). It was such a great trip, enjoyed both Australia and New Zealand. We did feel a bit guilty--a week after we visited Airlie Beach, Cyclone Debbie hit. Then the aftermath followed us everywhere. Stayed dry in Bay of Islands, Auckland and Tauranga, got wet in Wellington and Akaroa. Had to cancel our stop in Dunedin (NZ), which we were really looking forward to. The sounds were beautiful and the crossing back to Sydney was uneventful.

We loved both of these beautiful, friendly and interesting countries, so glad we did it.

A big THANK YOU and a virtual hug to you all, you made it special.

If you ever have questions about New Mexico (or the USA), I'll be happy to repay you.

Thanks mates and kia ora to you kiwis :)

ML

Hi all

Well, we are now safely home after our 32 days in Australia and NZ, time divided between Sydney and cruises. We were on the Solstice Mar 13-25, then the Radiance (to NZ) Mar 28--Apr 10.

I wanted to thank all of you who were so generous and helpful in advice. You made it so easy for us to do things, from getting the train from the airport to where to eat and shop for groceries, thank you all. I know I won't remember all the screen names but Gut2407, Mic Canberra, Possum52, Bpos, OzKiwiJJ, chesterbear, lucymorgan, Elorac123, Docker123, SinbadThePorter, Aus Traveller, Mr Walker, joandian, Babsjo, MrsWaldo, Hawka, The_Big_M, ozdevil, and lyndarra. I'm sure I missed some of you, not intentional, thanks to everyone who posted their thoughts and ideas.

We saw all of Sydney, ate a lot of excellent meals, saw footy (Swans are not having a good season so far. But, we got T-shirts, flags and footy balls for the opening day!!). It was such a great trip, enjoyed both Australia and New Zealand. We did feel a bit guilty--a week after we visited Airlie Beach, Cyclone Debbie hit. Then the aftermath followed us everywhere. Stayed dry in Bay of Islands, Auckland and Tauranga, got wet in Wellington and Akaroa. Had to cancel our stop in Dunedin (NZ), which we were really looking forward to. The sounds were beautiful and the crossing back to Sydney was uneventful.

We loved both of these beautiful, friendly and interesting countries, so glad we did it.

A big THANK YOU and a virtual hug to you all, you made it special.

If you ever have questions about New Mexico (or the USA), I'll be happy to repay you.

Thanks mates and kia ora to you kiwis :)

ML

And I don't think you missed many.

Thank you, it was a pleasure to offer advice to you. Really pleased you had such a good time both here in Australia and in NZ as well as on your cruises. I loved the way you took to our sense of humour! I hope you are able to come back some day and see more of our countries.

By the way, footy balls are usually just footies. You really got into the spirit of attending an AFL game. If you ever make it back here, come to Melbourne and I'll take you to a game at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

Best wishes,

Leigh

Thanks for coming back on & letting us all know how you went.

So glad you had a great time - was pretty sure you would with the great attitude you displayed in the lead-up.

So you confirmed your thinking that we are not a bad mob downunder :)

Thank you, it was a pleasure to offer advice to you. Really pleased you had such a good time both here in Australia and in NZ as well as on your cruises. I loved the way you took to our sense of humour! I hope you are able to come back some day and see more of our countries.

By the way, footy balls are usually just footies. You really got into the spirit of attending an AFL game. If you ever make it back here, come to Melbourne and I'll take you to a game at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

Best wishes,

Leigh

Hi Leigh

Thanks for the note about footies, I am still learning the lingo :D

Be careful what you offer--DH said we should go back sometime and take the more southerly route--Melbourne, maybe Adelaide, Tasmania, all the way over to Perth. I was surprised he said that, after the long flights. So, someday, you may hear from us again ;)

Appreciate all your tips

ML

So glad you had a great time - was pretty sure you would with the great attitude you displayed in the lead-up.

Hard to have a bad attitude on such a memorable trip :D Knew you were a great mob, happy to have experienced it first-hand. Everyone we met was friendly and helpful, seemed very down-to-earth good people.

I do have to say, I didn't realize how hot it would be in Australia. Not sure why I didn't put this together, I know most of the country is open and hot, it just didn't hit me until we sat in the really hot train coming back from Kuranda. Live and learn...NZ was a welcome change, cooler and sometimes windy.

ML

NoWhiners

our southern states are much cooler then what you may find in the northern part of Australia however summer time here from december through to Feb we in the southern parts also get hot... however generally from march onwards the temps do get cooler through the day,

If you and ya hubby enjoyed Afl there is no better place then watching a footy game at the "G" (Melbourne Cricket ground) specially when you have big clashes from some of the oldest teams in the league Anzac Day April 25th always a huge game between Essendon and Collingwood which attracts a sold out crowd as well as other rivalaries like Collingwood and Carlton they always attract big numbers ad doesnt matter where they are sitting on the ladder.

Tasmania everyone should visit this place once in their life doesnt matter what time of year this place is a stunning part of our world and really offers alot and is not as fast paced as the bigger states are in australia

hopefully someday in the near future we do see you back in our great country

NoWhiners

our southern states are much cooler then what you may find in the northern part of Australia however summer time here from december through to Feb we in the southern parts also get hot... however generally from march onwards the temps do get cooler through the day,

If you and ya hubby enjoyed Afl there is no better place then watching a footy game at the "G" (Melbourne Cricket ground) specially when you have big clashes from some of the oldest teams in the league Anzac Day April 25th always a huge game between Essendon and Collingwood which attracts a sold out crowd as well as other rivalaries like Collingwood and Carlton they always attract big numbers ad doesnt matter where they are sitting on the ladder.

Tasmania everyone should visit this place once in their life doesnt matter what time of year this place is a stunning part of our world and really offers alot and is not as fast paced as the bigger states are in australia

ozdevil

I am going to show your post to hubby--maybe we will be back sooner than I thought!

I added the bolding--this explains a lot that I wasn't following on another thread, lots of good-natured ribbing about the game and rivalries. Thanks for explaining.

ML

Did you mean a "Wierd mob".

NoWhiners

Yep you must do Tassie, I can't remember your preferred line but Celebrity offer a nice cruise from Auckland NZ TO Perth, across the bottom, that might be worth considering, with a few days in NZ beforehand to see the true Kiwis like you saw the Aussies for a few days. But then you'd need to watch Rugby (Union).

Yep you must do Tassie, I can't remember your preferred line but Celebrity offer a nice cruise from Auckland NZ TO Perth, across the bottom, that might be worth considering, with a few days in NZ beforehand to see the true Kiwis like you saw the Aussies for a few days. But then you'd need to watch Rugby (Union).

That would be the perfect itinerary! I will start looking for it, thanks. We don't have a favorite line but we would do Celebrity again with no worries. RCI, not so much.

hehe...you may recall that I first started threads by asking if we could see rugby, but the timing wasn't right, which is how we ended up watching the Swans. Would still love to see a game. I will have to content myself with watching what I can on US TV.

BTW, we loved hearing some old music while we were on the trip, in both countries--in shops, on the radio, some of the pubs/hotels. It was great. Not sure why it happens but we loved it. One night, we got a great radio station (DH brought a radio, I forget the bands, but it picked up stations on land when at sea) while we cruised to Brisbane, and we sat on our balcony quietly singing along while we had some wine (it was an aft balcony and no one else was outside!). One of our best memories :)

ML

That would be the perfect itinerary! I will start looking for it, thanks. We don't have a favorite line but we would do Celebrity again with no worries. RCI, not so much.

hehe...you may recall that I first started threads by asking if we could see rugby, but the timing wasn't right, which is how we ended up watching the Swans. Would still love to see a game. I will have to content myself with watching what I can on US TV.

BTW, we loved hearing some old music while we were on the trip, in both countries--in shops, on the radio, some of the pubs/hotels. It was great. Not sure why it happens but we loved it. One night, we got a great radio station (DH brought a radio, I forget the bands, but it picked up stations on land when at sea) while we cruised to Brisbane, and we sat on our balcony quietly singing along while we had some wine (it was an aft balcony and no one else was outside!). One of our best memories :)

ML

Rugby Union is almost a god in Kiwiland, problem is cruise season ends in April, Rugby season is only just starting, cruise season starts in October, Rugby season pretty much over.

Not sure what you define as old music, but we do get a pretty good range on the radio here. Now me I'm a big fan of 60s music, but our local station is having a 70s long weekend and I am enjoying most of it (Disco sucks, but early in the decade was some good stuff)😈🤓

ML

I'm glad you had a wonderful time.

That Auckland to Perth itinerary on celebrity tempts me too! I'm still debating on whether to transfer my 2019 booking to it (probably the Perth to Auckland one so I don't fly home). [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Rugby Union is almost a god in Kiwiland, problem is cruise season ends in April, Rugby season is only just starting, cruise season starts in October, Rugby season pretty much over.

Not sure what you define as old music, but we do get a pretty good range on the radio here. Now me I'm a big fan of 60s music, but our local station is having a 70s long weekend and I am enjoying most of it (Disco sucks, but early in the decade was some good stuff)

50s thru the 70s, some 80s. After that, I am not very knowledgeable :) Agree about (most) disco, but I did like the Bee Gees! I also like the Big Bands of the 40s. I would love to have your radio stations here.

Edited by NoWhiners
left something out

50s thru the 70s, some 80s. After that, I am not very knowledgeable :) Agree about (most) disco, but I did like the Bee Gees! I also like the Big Bands of the 40s. I would love to have your radio stations here.

Now of course the Brothers Gibb, really got there start from Brisbane.

I think you had the show Banstand in America too???

Well we had a version here called Junior Bandstand (we had the older version too) well when the BGs were late teens early 20s, They were in Jnr Bandstand, (just breaking into show biz) who should be a dancer on the same episode, but Mrs Gut, )yet she still chose me:cool:).

Best wishes,

Leigh

definitely take him up on this NoWhiners , Best ground in Oz :D

Did you mean a "Wierd mob".

there was a great movie written by Nino Collata (forgive my spelling i failed grade prep at english) called "Their a weird Mob"

loved the book and the movie