Mobility Scooter questions

rfkeith10

The problem is that Oceania's ships don't have a large number of handicapped-accessible cabins, but Oceania's passenger demographic means there may be a relatively high number of passengers requiring use of a mobility scooter. This is likely to be particularly problematic on longer cruises, where the passenger demographic is even more skewed toward older passengers.

If there ever comes the day (and I certainly hope it doesn't happen) when an emergency arises on an Oceania ship and the presence of scooters illegally stored in hallways contributes to the injury or death of passengers whose safe exit from the ship was impeded by such scooters, Oceania is really going to have to pay the piper, perhaps even facing criminal charges (remember what happened to Captain Schettino of the Costa Concordia, and if it's found that the illegal practice was condoned by corporate headquarters, corporate executives as well as the ship's captain could face prosecution ) in addition to substantial civil judgments.

If I were the cruise line's insurer, or their general counsel, I'd be reading the riot act to the corporate officers and board of directors.

The only solution short of modifying the ships to create more handicapped-accessible cabins where scooters can be stored is to crack down and refuse passage to any passenger who has a scooter but has not booked a cabin that accommodates a scooter. Make it part of your passenger contract and make passengers specifically acknowledge during the booking process that you are not permitted to have a mobility scooter if you can't store it in your cabin. You'll lose some customers in the short term but you'll avoid a potential tragedy in the long term.

While I agree that safety is paramount and scooters, wheelchairs and the like should never block exits and entrances, it seems unduly harsh to tell people that if they can't manage to store the equipment in their rooms then they will be denied permission to board.

It seems to us that the presence of this kind of equipment has increased dramatically in recent years. When we were first sailing on Oceania I don't recall EVER seeing a scooter. An occasional wheelchair or walker, yes. But these days you see quite a few on any sailing.

Maybe it's proof (if we need any) that the age of Oceania loyalists -- those of us sailing on O since the beginning -- has increased, along with physical ailments!

Mura

Well most of us have been sailing "O" for 10 to 15 years----what does that say! We're getting older. I just did read a review on Viking line and I was surprised to see that they don't allow scooters at all----they also don't allow anyone under 16 on the ship period. Don't know the answer, because for some it's hard to get around. I recall when my mother got older and was in a wheelchair-people we're that nice all the time. It sure made me rethink the way I treat people that need help. But again you have to think and be safe first, or you can't help the ones that will need it (me included-I have to use a cane now and then).

I had knee surgery for a torn meniscus in February 2006. We live in Brooklyn Heights, NY. I was astonished at the number of people who would jump ahead of me on the street -- they didn't want me to delay them when I was using a cane, but they seemed to think that I could have jumped out of their way. Which I could not.

I noticed the same kind of behavior on the subways.

So these days, rather than dashing ahead of someone who is moving too slowly for my liking, I will wait. I know that I don't want to knock them down.

Around that time, while I was still using a cane, we were on a London tube ride and there were two young businessmen who ignored me while they continued to sit and I stood. But when we all left the train at the same station, they were meticulous in waving me on ahead of them. I was not impressed.

Mura

We just returned from Oceania's 34 day circumnavigation of Australia cruise. Bit-Bob had the Smart Scoot and Tom, my husband had a Travel Scoot. Look at both if you are considering buying. Oceania was wonderful. They helped get it on and off off the ramp, onto tenders and off, and their bus drivers, even the shuttles to town, always put it in the luggage areas of the busses. When we began the cruise the seas were calm and Tom did not use it on the small ship, Sirena. However, after Bali, the swells were great and the ship swayed. Folks were falling down and one lady broke her hip. Tom fell in the reception area where there is little to hold onto. No injuries but he learned that the scooter was a much safer way to travel on the rocking ship. It was always put out of the way by the staff in any dining area. We did have one of Sirena's new, wonderful, ADA OV rooms on deck 4 but we measured and it looks like "Scoot" will fit into the standard doorway. This scooter is 23 inches wide. I did book a few Cruise Critic Roll Call private tours. I always sent a photo of the scooter to the organizer to pass on to the guide. But in Hobart, the guide did not get the photo. He had one of those 12 passenger vans for 10 people and I felt that the scooter may have caused some squishing. So my advice is on private group tours is make sure your Cruise Critic Host can relay to the tour guide what you have so as not to inconvenience others. Next real challenge - "Scoot" goes to Cuba!

My scoot is going on a river cruise!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure that is a good idea.

The boats are too small to use a scoot, and the terrain off of the ship, in Europe at least, is almost never scooter friendly.

Cobblestones, you know-

Not sure that is a good idea.

The boats are too small to use a scoot, and the terrain off of the ship, in Europe at least, is almost never scooter friendly.

Cobblestones, you know-

You would be very wrong

All arranged with tauck

SmRtscoot handles cobblestones beautifully

We do not need or use the scoot on the ship

It is for long distances on excursions

You would be very wrong

All arranged with tauck

SmRtscoot handles cobblestones beautifully

We do not need or use the scoot on the ship

It is for long distances on excursions

It is funny that you should say that about cobblestones because we just returned (literally still unpacking) from a Uniworld cruise, and there was so much walking involved that we were talking with the Concierge about the possibility of a scooter for future voyages.

She told us that they try to discourage powered mobility devices because several passengers had nasty falls when the scooter hit a rut in the cobbles and toppled :eek:

Of course, Tauck does cater to a significantly older crowd, so perhaps they have the accessibility angle down to a science.

I hope so.

• 2 weeks later...
I am considering renting a mobility scooter for my next cruise. I am a seasoned cruiser but have never sailed with Oceania. I am looking for some feedback on any issues folks might have experienced with mobility scooters on Oceania ships. Specifically, the ease of maneuverability in hallways, public areas and getting on/off the ship. Also interested in rather or not Oceania has issues with the parking of the scooters in hallways or near elevators.

Thank You,

Ray

My husband needs to use a mobility scooter and we never had a problem with maneuverability on the Rivera and Marina. It is difficult to get the scooter into a regular stateroom. No problem with a Penthouse suite.

I am considering renting a mobility scooter for my next cruise. I am a seasoned cruiser but have never sailed with Oceania. I am looking for some feedback on any issues folks might have experienced with mobility scooters on Oceania ships. Specifically, the ease of maneuverability in hallways, public areas and getting on/off the ship. Also interested in rather or not Oceania has issues with the parking of the scooters in hallways or near elevators.

Thank You,

Ray

Even without SOLAS, it's a safety hazard either way.

Well, there are public areas and public areas.

The concern here is where to store the scooters overnight. Leaving them in the hallways is dangerous, inappropriate and illegal (see SOLAS).

The problem then becomes that people who need to use the scooters are often ill or frail. Hard to make them lift it, so who should do it?

The caregiver that is their responsibility to engage.

Our neighbor on Regatta had a wheel chair. Inside the ship, his wife pushed him. But there is a small ledge between the inside and outside which made it impossible for her without help. I am not sure these older R ships that Oceania and Azamara use are compatible with wheelchairs. Might be a different story with the much newer Riviera and Marina.

My husband needs to use a mobility scooter and we never had a problem with maneuverability on the Rivera and Marina. It is difficult to get the scooter into a regular stateroom. No problem with a Penthouse suite.

Thank you so much for posting. Your comments make me feel somewhat better. Our plans are to book a PH1 on the Insignia.

Last week I bit the bullet and bought a folding scooter. I am very pleased with it. It weighs about 70 lbs. with the battery pack and folds up into a space about the size of large suitcase in about 30 seconds. There shouldn't be an issue is rolling it into our cabin. Now, If I can get along without running into other passengers I will be fine.

Ray

My scoot is going on a river cruise!!

I hope you have already gotten the green light for a scooter because several river cruise lines ban them completely, including Viking. Someone on our sailing was told Viking policy lined up with most of their competitors. We only had two wheelchair passengers. And one man had a full time caregiver to assist.

I hope you have already gotten the green light for a scooter because several river cruise lines ban them completely, including Viking. Someone on our sailing was told Viking policy lined up with most of their competitors. We only had two wheelchair passengers. And one man had a full time caregiver to assist.

Of course. Not a problem

Thank you so much for posting. Your comments make me feel somewhat better. Our plans are to book a PH1 on the Insignia.

Last week I bit the bullet and bought a folding scooter. I am very pleased with it. It weighs about 70 lbs. with the battery pack and folds up into a space about the size of large suitcase in about 30 seconds. There shouldn't be an issue is rolling it into our cabin. Now, If I can get along without running into other passengers I will be fine.

Ray

What brand of sccoter did you buy?

We were on Marina in April, there was a scooter that was usually parked in the landing of the forward stairs on one level (9 iirc) - basically in the 'art niche' area of the landing - so in a public area, but not impeding anyone's progress. Wouldn't work in the aft stairs, as that landing is shared with the aft elevators.

Hi Ray:

August 2016 my husband and I went from London to Rome on Insignia. It was a 20 day sailing but we stayed in London a couple of days before the cruise. We had a deluxe oceanview stateroom. I own a luggie scooter which I bought before the cruise because the rentals were more expensive and bigger than the luggie and I wanted something that was easy to travel with. At that time I could not walk due to inflammation in the bone marrow due to an oseteochondral defect where the femur joins the knee. That has since healed but the doctor told me I could not put any pressure on the knee. I want to tell you my husband and I have been on almost 20 cruise and that was by far the best cruise I have ever taken. First of all the luggie has a lithium battery which is small and light. I did not have any problems at any of the airports but I contacted the airlines ahead of time and they were aware I would be traveling with the battery. We removed the battery and put it in its little box before we collapsed the luggie. The reason I mention the battery is that battery life is very important on excursions and lithium batteries are not only small but last longer than other batteries. So make sure if you rent or buy you get an estimate of the type of batter and the battery life. Also the battery was small so it did not weigh much and it did not take up much space in the cabin. It also charged very quickly. We went all around Europe, I have many pictures of me on my luggie. The buses in the cities we traveled to had a ramp that would come down and up I would go. The ports shuttles also had ramps so I pulled in with my luggie and the shuttle would take us through the port to the outside of the gate and off we would go. I had a great time with the luggie. I rode mine up to the gate in each airport, it folded easily and they took it at the gate. United did put a couple of scratches on it. My luggie folds easily so it did not take up much cabin space and could fit under the desk. It maneuvered very well down the halls and I could get in my cabin without any problem. There are different sizes of scooters. The rentals I found were all larger than the luggie. Size is important. The rentals are much larger than a luggie and are good if you weigh more than 250 pounds because the luggie is smaller and can only seat up to 250 pounds unless you buy a more expensive model. Mine was the mid grade version. Everyone on Insignia was exceptional in helping me get on and off the ship. Some ports have steep ramps and in that case they would carry the luggie (it only weighs 51 pounds with the battery) down the ramp. But when the ramp was not steep I could ride it off the ship. When we entered the ship in Dover I went in through the lower level with the luggage while others entered at a higher level. I took the elevator up stairs and was at the buffet enjoying myself as soon as I boarded. The luggie was easy to get in and out of the elevators. I am not sure if I was in a larger scooter how easy they would be to maneuver. Getting a table in the Terrace cafe when it is crowded can take some doing because the tables are very close together. There are two sides of the terrace cafe and one side has more space than the other. During busy times I just decided I would use my crutches and take the luggie to the entrance of the terrace cafe and then use the crutches to get to a table because getting between the tables was difficult. The people who work in the cafe always helped me and carried my plate when I used my crutches. There was no problem with the luggie in the main dining room. The maiter'd would take us to the table and then drive it back to the doorway and would bring it to me when we were finished dining. Marsaille France was a very good location for the luggie. When I would take an excursion with the cruise line everyone was helpful. The bus driver would put the luggie under in cargo. I always pop the battery out and carry it with me while the collapsed luggie would travel under in the "cargo section" of the bus. I made sure that before we took the excursions that the concierge let the tour company know I had a scooter. Because it folded up and was so light taking it was never a problem. We took a bus from London to Dover and I had contacted the Bus Company and they were amazing. They were all prepared for me and gladly took the luggie. You can email me if you have any specific questions that I haven't answered. When traveling you want something that is light, foldable like a stroller, and has a small profile so you can turn easily. You want a battery that is portable, long lasting, quick charging. Livorno did not have very good slopping curbs for the luggie so a couple of times I had to go around out of my way to cross. We only had one port that required a tender in St. Malo France. I chose not to get off the ship at that port. The cruise line said if it was smooth and there were not a lot of waves I could get off but I decided to stay in and rest for the day. What my husband and I did in many ports was we took the open air buses. So I would take the luggie to the bus and they would help me on and collapse my scooter then we would go around the route and see the city. I did not try to go into castles but we did go into museums. Most buildings such as the Guggenheim in Bilbao have elevators and we did not have any problems. In Paris the museums we went in also had elevators. I would be happy to provide you with any information that I can. My email address is Lea.Lewis@sbcglobal.net. If you live in the Chicago area and want to try the scooter we can make arrangements so you can see how it feels to you so you will know if it is something you would like to use. When we were on our cruise I was stopped a lot and asked about my scooter and I let other people try it to see if they liked it. When it collapses, the tiller you steer with comes up so it can be pulled like a suitcase by anyone which was nice at the airport. I also have pictures of me at the airport, in Monaco, in England and Paris on my scooter. That little scooter really made the vacation a lot of fun for me. This summer we are going on Crystal from London - Honfleur and then flying to Niece and taking Riviera from Monaco to Barcelona. I am walking now but it was a lot of fun because of the speed adjustment you can go from slow like a walking pace to pretty fast to where my husband couldn't keep up so you can cover a lot of distance. I used to have to slow down so my husband could keep up with me. :D When I looked into renting last year versus purchasing my luggie cost $1400 but renting for $21 days was close to a thousand. I decided I would rather purchase because at that time I had no assurance that my leg would or wouldn't heal. If you are taking a short cruise renting is probably more feasible. If you want to get the specs on a luggie you can read about them at http://www.spinlife.com/Luggie-Luggie-Classic-Folding-Scooters/spec.cfm?productID=110306 . The price on this site is high. You can get a luggie classic on ebay for a lot less than what they advertise.

Hi Ray:

August 2016 my husband and I went from London to Rome on Insignia. It was a 20 day sailing but we stayed in London a couple of days before the cruise. We had a deluxe oceanview stateroom. I own a luggie scooter which I bought before the cruise because the rentals were more expensive and bigger than the luggie and I wanted something that was easy to travel with. At that time I could not walk due to inflammation in the bone marrow due to an oseteochondral defect where the femur joins the knee. That has since healed but the doctor told me I could not put any pressure on the knee. I want to tell you my husband and I have been on almost 20 cruise and that was by far the best cruise I have ever taken. First of all the luggie has a lithium battery which is small and light. I did not have any problems at any of the airports but I contacted the airlines ahead of time and they were aware I would be traveling with the battery. We removed the battery and put it in its little box before we collapsed the luggie. The reason I mention the battery is that battery life is very important on excursions and lithium batteries are not only small but last longer than other batteries. So make sure if you rent or buy you get an estimate of the type of batter and the battery life. Also the battery was small so it did not weigh much and it did not take up much space in the cabin. It also charged very quickly. We went all around Europe, I have many pictures of me on my luggie. The buses in the cities we traveled to had a ramp that would come down and up I would go. The ports shuttles also had ramps so I pulled in with my luggie and the shuttle would take us through the port to the outside of the gate and off we would go. I had a great time with the luggie. I rode mine up to the gate in each airport, it folded easily and they took it at the gate. United did put a couple of scratches on it. My luggie folds easily so it did not take up much cabin space and could fit under the desk. It maneuvered very well down the halls and I could get in my cabin without any problem. There are different sizes of scooters. The rentals I found were all larger than the luggie. Size is important. The rentals are much larger than a luggie and are good if you weigh more than 250 pounds because the luggie is smaller and can only seat up to 250 pounds unless you buy a more expensive model. Mine was the mid grade version. Everyone on Insignia was exceptional in helping me get on and off the ship. Some ports have steep ramps and in that case they would carry the luggie (it only weighs 51 pounds with the battery) down the ramp. But when the ramp was not steep I could ride it off the ship. When we entered the ship in Dover I went in through the lower level with the luggage while others entered at a higher level. I took the elevator up stairs and was at the buffet enjoying myself as soon as I boarded. The luggie was easy to get in and out of the elevators. I am not sure if I was in a larger scooter how easy they would be to maneuver. Getting a table in the Terrace cafe when it is crowded can take some doing because the tables are very close together. There are two sides of the terrace cafe and one side has more space than the other. During busy times I just decided I would use my crutches and take the luggie to the entrance of the terrace cafe and then use the crutches to get to a table because getting between the tables was difficult. The people who work in the cafe always helped me and carried my plate when I used my crutches. There was no problem with the luggie in the main dining room. The maiter'd would take us to the table and then drive it back to the doorway and would bring it to me when we were finished dining. Marsaille France was a very good location for the luggie. When I would take an excursion with the cruise line everyone was helpful. The bus driver would put the luggie under in cargo. I always pop the battery out and carry it with me while the collapsed luggie would travel under in the "cargo section" of the bus. I made sure that before we took the excursions that the concierge let the tour company know I had a scooter. Because it folded up and was so light taking it was never a problem. We took a bus from London to Dover and I had contacted the Bus Company and they were amazing. They were all prepared for me and gladly took the luggie. You can email me if you have any specific questions that I haven't answered. When traveling you want something that is light, foldable like a stroller, and has a small profile so you can turn easily. You want a battery that is portable, long lasting, quick charging. Livorno did not have very good slopping curbs for the luggie so a couple of times I had to go around out of my way to cross. We only had one port that required a tender in St. Malo France. I chose not to get off the ship at that port. The cruise line said if it was smooth and there were not a lot of waves I could get off but I decided to stay in and rest for the day. What my husband and I did in many ports was we took the open air buses. So I would take the luggie to the bus and they would help me on and collapse my scooter then we would go around the route and see the city. I did not try to go into castles but we did go into museums. Most buildings such as the Guggenheim in Bilbao have elevators and we did not have any problems. In Paris the museums we went in also had elevators. I would be happy to provide you with any information that I can. My email address is Lea.Lewis@sbcglobal.net. If you live in the Chicago area and want to try the scooter we can make arrangements so you can see how it feels to you so you will know if it is something you would like to use. When we were on our cruise I was stopped a lot and asked about my scooter and I let other people try it to see if they liked it. When it collapses, the tiller you steer with comes up so it can be pulled like a suitcase by anyone which was nice at the airport. I also have pictures of me at the airport, in Monaco, in England and Paris on my scooter. That little scooter really made the vacation a lot of fun for me. This summer we are going on Crystal from London - Honfleur and then flying to Niece and taking Riviera from Monaco to Barcelona. I am walking now but it was a lot of fun because of the speed adjustment you can go from slow like a walking pace to pretty fast to where my husband couldn't keep up so you can cover a lot of distance. I used to have to slow down so my husband could keep up with me. :D When I looked into renting last year versus purchasing my luggie cost $1400 but renting for $21 days was close to a thousand. I decided I would rather purchase because at that time I had no assurance that my leg would or wouldn't heal. If you are taking a short cruise renting is probably more feasible. If you want to get the specs on a luggie you can read about them at http://www.spinlife.com/Luggie-Luggie-Classic-Folding-Scooters/spec.cfm?productID=110306 . The price on this site is high. You can get a luggie classic on ebay for a lot less than what they advertise.

How does this scooter work when traveling over cobblestones which you find in many European cities. Also does it have a tendency to tip if you are on a sloping road.

ael123----thank you so much for your extensive and informative post. I appreciate your insight. I was especially pleased to read about how helpful the ship's staff was in accommodating your needs while onboard. I like hearing those kinds of good things about Oceania.

As I mentioned before I have purchased the EVRider. During my research, I did look at the Luggie and found that both scooters were similar in many ways. Ultimately, I decided on the EVRider based on a QVC presentation and sale.

Let me digest all of the info you shared in your post. If I still have any questions, I'll email you. Again, thank you very much.

Ray