Spirit Dry Dock again mid-year

poona1

My Personal TA tells me the NCL Spirit will be getting a full dry dock of 2 or more weeks in the middle of this year...any confirmation of this development would be appreciated...thanks

Oh goodness. I hope not. Or, rather, if so, I hope they don't change the decor much. From the videos and pictures I've seen, I really want to see it as it is. I'm scheduled to be on it in late November.

--Michael

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

The Spirit was suppose to go through an extensive dry dock in January which was cancelled/greatly abbreviated. This time last year, we were told that the planned dry dock was being extended to a month (and a lot more money was allocated) to allow time to totally revamp the ship (getting rid of the odd collection of Cajun, Roman, and Asian decorations designed by the Chinese chairman and his wife). Later last year, we heard that the Edge dry dock was cancelled and switched to a short technical dry dock. That made us assume (with no real basis) that the Spirit's days in the NCL fleet were numbered. If they intend to do a Edge upgrade mid-year, maybe the Spirit will be around for a while. During the Edge upgrades, the public areas are demo'ed down to the sheet metal and everything is rebuilt with more neutral, contemporary designs.

I would doubt it. She was in dry dock in 2014 which means She is not due again until 2019.

FWIW - when we sailed Spirit late 2015 on the BTS tour it was explained to us that due to the age of the Spirit, a dry dock is required every 3 years. Being 2014 was the last one it would indicate the short one in early 2017 was meant to meet that requirement. As far as what the future holds, who knows.

FWIW - when we sailed Spirit late 2015 on the BTS tour it was explained to us that due to the age of the Spirit, a dry dock is required every 3 years. Being 2014 was the last one it would indicate the short one in early 2017 was meant to meet that requirement. As far as what the future holds, who knows.

Ships less than 15 years old, can drydock every 5 years, provided that an underwater video survey is done at the midpoint of the 5 year interval. This is the cause for late departures on turn around day, and the concern causing "there are divers working on the ship" reports.

Ships 15 years old and older, (Spirit is 18.5 years old) must be drydocked "twice in 5 years", not every 3 years. There is a slight amount of leeway written in, hence the "twice in 5 years" and not every 2.5 years.

If the statutory drydocking was done in January, and all underwater work done at this time, then technically she could do the "edge" improvements without drydocking, merely sitting at a wet berth in the shipyard. This is what the Sky did, a few years ago, when the edge upgrades were announced.

From post #124 on this thread, it seems most of the Asian decor has already gone.

The Asian décor was still there on 23rd February when I left the ship. It has been in service ever since so unlikely been removed. The décor has been the same the last 4 or 5 years I have been going on it.

When I went to afternoon tea for promotion of the new Premium All Inclusive, I asked the guy in charge about the Spirit refit, and he told me next Spring, possibly April.

Ships less than 15 years old, can drydock every 5 years, provided that an underwater video survey is done at the midpoint of the 5 year interval. This is the cause for late departures on turn around day, and the concern causing "there are divers working on the ship" reports.

Ships 15 years old and older, (Spirit is 18.5 years old) must be drydocked "twice in 5 years", not every 3 years. There is a slight amount of leeway written in, hence the "twice in 5 years" and not every 2.5 years.

If the statutory drydocking was done in January, and all underwater work done at this time, then technically she could do the "edge" improvements without drydocking, merely sitting at a wet berth in the shipyard. This is what the Sky did, a few years ago, when the edge upgrades were announced.

Thanks - I was hoping you'd chime in and explain as well as info on the video aspect.

The info we got was on the BTS tour when we stopped in the bridge viewing room from one of the bridge crew members - don't recall his position.

The Asian décor was still there on 23rd February when I left the ship. It has been in service ever since so unlikely been removed. The décor has been the same the last 4 or 5 years I have been going on it.

When I went to afternoon tea for promotion of the new Premium All Inclusive, I asked the guy in charge about the Spirit refit, and he told me next Spring, possibly April.

We were first on Spirit in 2007 and then again 2015 and it seemed all of the public areas were pretty much the same. We really liked the ship both times on it and thought the decor was unique and very nice.

• 4 weeks later...

We are booked in July of 2018 so hope it is a short'ish dry dock so it doesn't interfere with our sailing! We last sailed on the Spirit in 2013 (Grand Med) and loved the ship, Asian decor included.

Yep, the April after your February cruise.

The person quoted in #124 as saying the Asian decor was gone had been on the ship April 12, after the refit.

The person quoted in #124 as saying the Asian decor was gone had been on the ship April 12, after the refit.

No refit has been done this March, January dry dock was technical and some new carpets were laid in some of the public areas. The big refit should be April 2018 according to the Senior Marketing Manager for the UK who I spoke to in April at a marketing promotion. I think that is as reliable as possible, but watch this space!

We were on the Spirit for 10 night cruise out of Barcelona in January 2017. The ship went for a short drydock at the end of our cruise. I think it was only like 4 days. When we were disembarking there were a couple hundred workers with their duffel bag/luggage in line to board the ship immediately behind us. Not sure what was planned/done but I wouldn't think much during that short period. We are scheduled on the Spirit again in early November.

I would doubt it. She was in dry dock in 2014 which means She is not due again until 2019.

No, Spirit needs two dry docks in 5 years based on her age.

That doesn't mean that they will do anything other than check the engines and the hull.

We went on the Spirit when the person who posted that got off.

It was our third time on the ship and I have to say that I didn't notice any change to the decor. I'm extremely unobservant about that sort of thing, so I just checked with my wife who also said that as for as she could recall there were no changes to the Asian decor.

Unlike me, she does tend to notice that sort of thing.

We went on the Spirit when the person who posted that got off.

It was our third time on the ship and I have to say that I didn't notice any change to the decor. I'm extremely unobservant about that sort of thing, so I just checked with my wife who also said that as for as she could recall there were no changes to the Asian decor.

Unlike me, she does tend to notice that sort of thing.

Keith - you sound the same as my husband, also Keith, but I notice more things, especially as I was looking to see what had been done in January drydock. We usually go on the Canaries cruise for my birthday and a bit on sun and it has been the Spirit the last few years apart from once on the Epic. We are doing a transatlantic this November so I doubt we will be doing our usual in January. I would be quite happy to keep the Asian décor, but as I've said before, the cabins need updating and the buffet needs a facelift too.

If anyone else asks "I wonder what was done in the short drydock" or states that "most of the Asian décor has gone" ..........??!!