NCL Star: What do you love about it, what do you hate about it?

terri910

We are booked on the NCL Star. Our most recent NCL crises have been on the Epic and the Jade.

We enjoyed all the cruises, but the scales tipped in favor of the Jade for us -- we liked the size and layout of the cabin much more than on the Jade. We also liked the main Dining Room on the Jade better than on the Epic.

I know that the Jade is smaller than the Epic, but to us, it made better use of it.

From what I've read, the Star is smaller than the Jade....I think the cabins look a bit smaller than the Jade. I haven't checked to see crew to passenger ratio on any of them....

We will be on the Star for something like 47 days, so I sure hope we like it! *L*

We are booked on the NCL Star. Our most recent NCL crises have been on the Epic and the Jade.

We enjoyed all the cruises, but the scales tipped in favor of the Jade for us -- we liked the size and layout of the cabin much more than on the Jade. We also liked the main Dining Room on the Jade better than on the Epic.

I know that the Jade is smaller than the Epic, but to us, it made better use of it.

From what I've read, the Star is smaller than the Jade....I think the cabins look a bit smaller than the Jade. I haven't checked to see crew to passenger ratio on any of them....

We will be on the Star for something like 47 days, so I sure hope we like it! *L*

The Star and Dawn (Dawn Class) are very similar to the Jewel Class ships. There are some differences like Jewel Class have a Haven, Dawn Class don't have a front lounge as it was replaced with suites a few years back. Dawn Class don't have the Great Outdoors behind the buffet.

The Dawn Class have a kids pool area aft. GVs on Dawn Class are much larger but it is mostly outside deck space.

I really like the Thermal spa on Star

unlike the Jade where there is only a small unisex area there are more loungers etc that men and women can enjoy together

But the best part is the floor to ceiling windows overlooking the Aft-we were in Norway and seeing the views of Geiranger and Flam while lounging is a pretty special memory

Sailed the Star several times. As mentioned, the Star is similar to the Jewel class. One thing I do not like about the Star/Dawn class is the lack of an aft bar.

The Star is at its best when both azipods are working, however.

Each ship is different but I love the Star both for her size and the easy walkability. We kept busy the entire time on the ship but I loved just relaxing as well. We never felt the ship was overcrowded and we had good service except once at the pool bar on embarkation day when we took a stroll around the ship - (what was on my mind to stop for a drink there!) Perhaps I love the ship best because we had a giant wrap Aft Penthouse and we so loved being out there. The customer service was great everywhere along with our butler and concierge who always took care of us even though we asked for little. The shows were good on all three ships but not as many as the Epic but we loved the ones we saw. Extra points for the size of the Epic which offered so many venues to enjoy. I think you will love the Star and we would definitely book her again.

The Jade is my least favorite mostly due in part to smoke smell outside of Le Bistro and the Martini bar. My eyes began to water and then I started coughing. I do have an allergy to smoke but I have never encountered an issue such as this on an NCL ship before. We had to find another area to meet friends before dinner or catch a drink after the shows. We had an Aft Penthouse again and I wanted to pack our concierge and butler and take them home as they treated us so nice. We felt the customer service was great on this ship as well. Once again being aft did not present any issues for the exceptional butler and concierge staff. We enjoyed the shows but the feel of the ship was different than the Star. We would not book the Jade again.

The Epic is of course so large that you can never do everything as you know. It has changed alot since we sailed her and we are looking forward to a return visit. This time we will be in a forward facing suite in the Haven. It is hard to compare such a large ship to the medium size ships. Given that I still think that the Star will become one of your favorite NCL ships.

What I disliked about the Star is lack of public areas with viewing. The Spinnaker is not an observation room in the bow with windows. On the Star that area is cabins. There is no Great Outdoors on the Star.

But even with those drawbacks we enjoyed our 26 days on the Star vecause of the friendly and helpful crew.

What I disliked about the Star is lack of public areas with viewing. The Spinnaker is not an observation room in the bow with windows. On the Star that area is cabins. There is no Great Outdoors on the Star.

But even with those drawbacks we enjoyed our 26 days on the Star vecause of the friendly and helpful crew.

I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise. A number of folks have compared the Star to the Jewel Class ships, but the Star's lack of the Spinnaker in the bow, and the lack of the Great Outdoors, are two big negatives imho. Those are two of my favorites spaces on the Jewel Class ships.

ive sailed Star twice (Bermuda and Baltics). we much prefer that class size ship to the larger ships (although we do like the larger ships).

i had a great experience on both. Star was my first NCL experience and it got me hooked on cruising after i nearly walked away from it forever after my first cruise ever (Carnival).

I've been on the Star multiple times, also Epic, Jewel class and Breakaway class. The size is great, along with the Jewel class. I'm not sure I would enjoy 47 days on the Star, maybe if it was port intensive. If there were a lot of sea days I would get really bored after the first two weeks. As others have said there is a lack of good public areas and the entertainment is not like on the newer ships. I'd be interested to hear the cost of a spa pass for that voyage. I would also advise you invest in at least 15 specialty meals.

I did the Star to Bermuda a few years back and just did the Getaway this past September. I'm torn between what I like better, The one thing in hindsight that I most enjoy about the Star is there is no pressure to constantly have to do something. We spent a lot of time just relaxing on the deck. On the Getaway, I loved the thermal spa but there was always something to do and I couldn't stop myself.

I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise. A number of folks have compared the Star to the Jewel Class ships, but the Star's lack of the Spinnaker in the bow, and the lack of the Great Outdoors, are two big negatives imho. Those are two of my favorites spaces on the Jewel Class ships.

Is there no Spinnaker lounge at all aboard the Star? That was maybe our favorite single place on the Jewel.

Is there no Spinnaker lounge at all aboard the Star? That was maybe our favorite single place on the Jewel.
There is still a lounge called the Spinnaker Lounge, but it is no longer located at the top of the ship with panoramic views. It's at the back of the ship on Deck 7, with almost no windows. :(