Extra gratuity for Butler and Housekeeper?

morneau

Agree(y)

So why do you make a diffidence between the porters----Regent pays them them the amount they ask. That's two standards at the same place.

And for Sanne so many people work and at the end of the year they get a bonus---I don't think anyone of you would say "NO THANK YOU", I'm very happy if you'll just say "THANKS FOR A GOOD JOB".

Guess we'll never agree on this. Rick

I'm trying to figure out how tipping on an all-inclusive cruise line equates to a U.S. citizen getting a bonus at the end of the year, Am I missing something?

To be. honest, I didn't even realize that porters are paid by Regent. I differentiate "contractors" that work outside of the ship (tour guides, baggage handlers, etc.) and those that work on the ship. My expectations of onboard crew is different than contractors that work outside of the ship (most of whom just put on a Regent pin and everyone listens to whatever they say). We are helped by several people while we wait to get onboard. Do they all deserve tips? Does everyone take the time to thank them? Note: I should acknowledge that many times Regent entertainers help out off of the ship - getting passengers to the right place, etc.

I don't look at this at disagreeing. Rather, it is about Regent policies that are clearly written. If someone want to deviate from the policy, IMO, that is something to be kept to yourself since, based on years of reading threads on this topic, there will never be agreement and it usually causes dissension.

Additionally, I will say that there are more Regent crew members now that obviously wait for tips (especially butlers) than there were in the past.* And, perhaps if posters keep saying that they want to tip everyone that Regent will do away with included tipping.

Rick, as a side note, I have heard from butlers that the butlers on Oceania make more money than on Regent (due to tips). Not judging it - just commenting.

Lastly, there are people who tip the first day onboard to let the crew member know that they expect excellent service (service that would be given anyway). I can openly say that I find this practice tacky. Even people that charter yachts do not tip the crew in advance (based on being addicted to the television show "Below Deck").

*Based on history, now posters will say that they have not encountered a crew member waiting for a tip. Obviously, what I post is based on our experience -- your experience may differ.

Excuse any weird typos. My new Apple computer likes to make up words. I was hoping that it would help my spelling (which it does) but it tends to rewrite my words in the process.

Travelcat2,

Although the porters who take your luggage from the pier to the ship are paid by Regent, they are still in the "tipping culture" of their country (whatever that may be) where (in the USA and a few other countries) anybody who provides service EXPECTS a tip. I don't like it, but that's the way it is. And if the departure pier is in the USA, tip expectation is higher, and in a higher amount. Actually, I have a fear that if I don't give those porters at a US departure pier something, my luggage just might not make it to the ship! For foriegn departure piers, I try to acquaint myself with expected tips in that country (if any) and go with the flow as to tips for those porters. Maybe I'm just paranoid. But once I am aboard a Regent ship, I don't tip any of the service crew anything for doing their duties within their job descriptions, because tips are included in my (very expensive) fare. So I see a difference between the pier porters and Regent's service crew on the tipping issue. As to tour guides and operators, on our last Regent cruise early this month, I noticed that some had "tip jars" and some did not. A confusing situation. But personally, I don't think we have ever tipped a tour guide or operator on an excursion booked through Regent. We took a European river cruise last summer on Scenic (an Australian line), and had a shore tour every day. Scenic is an "all inclusive" river cruise line, and makes it clear in their publications that ALL shore tours are included in the fare, including tour guide and opperator tips, as it should be on any all inclusive cruise line that includes shore excursions and tours.

Have never tipped porters at the quay and were unaware of their existence as only transferred to the ship with a Regent included hotel to ship transfer on our 6 Regent cruises . Luggage was dealt with all the way from hotel to suite, never a problem, always there ahead of us in suite.

Only gravelled in PH suite so never used private party, and rarely dine in suite, only 1 dinner and half a dozen quick breakfasts prior to an early start excursion.

Have a salaried professional job, don't get bonus, I am paid my contracted amount , so this is where I am coming from re this topic.

Travelcat2,

Although the porters who take your luggage from the pier to the ship are paid by Regent, they are still in the "tipping culture" of their country (whatever that may be) where (in the USA and a few other countries) anybody who provides service EXPECTS a tip. I don't like it, but that's the way it is. And if the departure pier is in the USA, tip expectation is higher, and in a higher amount. Actually, I have a fear that if I don't give those porters at a US departure pier something, my luggage just might not make it to the ship! For foriegn departure piers, I try to acquaint myself with expected tips in that country (if any) and go with the flow as to tips for those porters. Maybe I'm just paranoid. But once I am aboard a Regent ship, I don't tip any of the service crew anything for doing their duties within their job descriptions, because tips are included in my (very expensive) fare. So I see a difference between the pier porters and Regent's service crew on the tipping issue. As to tour guides and operators, on our last Regent cruise early this month, I noticed that some had "tip jars" and some did not. A confusing situation. But personally, I don't think we have ever tipped a tour guide or operator on an excursion booked through Regent. We took a European river cruise last summer on Scenic (an Australian line), and had a shore tour every day. Scenic is an "all inclusive" river cruise line, and makes it clear in their publications that ALL shore tours are included in the fare, including tour guide and opperator tips, as it should be on any all inclusive cruise line that includes shore excursions and tours.

While I agree with some of your points, I disagree with others. Unlike Scenic, tour guides do not get tips from Regent and this is spelled out in Passages and in their literature. Depending upon the country, we always tip tour guides and bus drivers a minimal amount (unless they do a bad job). In the spa, however, Regent makes note that tips are included.

As mentioned, we do tip porters (when we do not use Regent transfers as the previous poster mentioned).

In terms of on the ship, while I have made comments in the past (and got blasted for them), I now choose to not say what we do other than to say that I believe in the Crew Fund and also want to follow Regent guidelines.

GrJ Berkshire - first let me say that I appreciate your posts. Secondarily, as you know, passengers from the U.S. are the majority cruisers on Regent and they seem to want to tip almost every person that they see. They (and I am a U.S. citizen married to a dual citizen of the U.K./U.S.) are so closed minded about it that it is mind boggling. In restaurants in the U.S., while my DH pays the bill, I leave the tip (to avoid being embarrassed by a miniscule tip). Having said that, I do not tip everyone but do tip well for extremely good service. After all, as has been posted, some restaurant workers in the U.S. do not make a living wage and depend upon tips.

Someone (I think on this thread) mentioned that service in restaurants is better in the U.S. because of tipping. I disagree. If a person cannot give excellent service, they should not be working in a dining establishment. And, to use Regent as an example, it is a no-tipping environment and the service is amazingly good. In order to work for an all-inclusive luxury cruise line, you need to provide the top level of service. If you cannot do so, you will not have a job.

Gr.J,

I agree with you. I generally take shorter cruises and live in the US. So have never seen the need (yet) to book as high as a penthouse on Regent, so as to have hotel to ship under Regent's control. But when my embarkation port is in Europe, I have never tipped the porters at the pier. Only in the US, where anyone who provides you and service Is "tip crazy". At US embarkation piers, I tip the porters $5 to get our luggage aboard, and no more.

I dislike the US practice of tipping, and participate in it in the US only because laws here allow "tipped employees" can be paid FAR below living wage by the employer. I am a retired attorney, and never received a tip either.

Travelcat2,

I agree 100% with you about making donations to the crew fund on Regent, and we have done this, but have never given individual tips to service crew members (except when a personal errand was requested and done, and even then the tip was refused).

If, as you say, Regent doesn't include tips for tour guides and operators and says so in their fine print, I must fault Regent for saying (in bold print) that these excursions are part of their all inclusive policy. If tips are expected, these excursions are not all inclusive.

Travelcat2,

I agree 100% with you about making donations to the crew fund on Regent, and we have done this, but have never given individual tips to service crew members (except when a personal errand was requested and done, and even then the tip was refused).

If, as you say, Regent doesn't include tips for tour guides and operators and says so in their fine print, I must fault Regent for saying (in bold print) that these excursions are part of their all inclusive policy. If tips are expected, these excursions are not all inclusive.

Again - agree 100%

TravelCat2, I like your post no matter what, you have a lot of information. And even on tipping I really think we agree if you read all of my post. When everything is included I don't tip-unless I ask for or get better service than I think I should get. I never tip at the start of a cruise, to me that's just not right. And when I don't get the service I think one should get I say something and I don't tip even when one is expected to tip (but I always let the person know why). I don't ask for a lot, however when we vacation we enjoy being in a top suite no matter what line. I do it for space (because we enjoy the suite) and I do it for the extra perks that come with that suite. We've travel a lot even before we retired-so I don't always want to get off the ship unless I really want to see something or find a place I really want to eat at-it's simple, we cruise to cruise and the ship, suite and service are very important to us. I want the cabin cleaned when we leave for breakfast or if we order in which is most of the time-then when we leave the cabin. The room steward always seems to realize that and handles it. We return to our suite early not always going to the show-they know that and it's always clean no matter when we get back. Am I demanding, No-but I do enjoy really outstanding service during my trip and I believe in saying thank you with something ($$$) extra if that all happens. Every person cruising has their own idea of what makes that cruise perfect for them and should do whats right for them-no one else.

I also see people treat the staff with big demands and no respect-and not just with the staff but other guest on the ship.

People may not like the way I feel, but that is their problem not mine. I'm very lucky that I worked hard during by working years and can afford to travel the way we want to travel. Do to an illness we had no travel for 3 years, we're now over that and everything is good (we've done a few trips over seas and Hawaii but this will be are first cruise since that / we've now got the OK to cruise--So we're never going to look back, our plan is to enjoy life today has no one person knows what the next day will bring. If we can add to someones life and put a smile on their face-so be it.

And when I say I enjoy your post, I really do-you and others have given me more information than one would except-which is why we'll most likely enjoy our first cruise on Regent. Since we don't drink or tour much-we're really paying to cruise Regent and really do except a first class trip-we've got 3 cruise's booked on Regent and hope to book others when on the ship, maybe not this coming up cruise but on the next cruise. The suite's we want to book seem to book up fast which is why we booked all 3 now(in fact the suite(s) we booked are already sold out - even one of the cruise's in early 2019).

Anyway not to go on, TravelCat2 keep on posting-I like to read the other side, even if we don't agree 100%.

Rick

We are Titanium ( 400 + days ) with Regent. Rick - The service that you like from your room steward on a cruise is exactly what we have always experienced from our cruises on Regent and we sail in the cheapest cabins. This is the reason we love Regent ( we have sailed many other luxury lines as well )

I think you will find that within one or two days your room steward will know your daily routine and will magically - or so it seems - have your suite cleaned and serviced just the way you wish. We always use the " service please/do not disturb sign".

We have never tipped extra, always believing that Regent prefers it this way. It somehow makes it seem a 'cut above the others". Service is excellent without the need of a tip.

Agree with last three posters!

Me too.

And have read on CC numerous times, "I was told no tipping in ..... but service was so good I just had to."

But then the sameposter will abuse someone who says "Tipping isnt the norm where I'm from so I don't tip".

Funny isn't it, they just can't help themselves.

TC - I am amused that you are a fellow Below Deck watcher. I've watched since the beginning and am excited for the new season.

On the topic of tipping, we used our extra OBC to buy gifts for our cabin steward and she was thrilled. She gave me a huge hug.

My brother tends to be a big tipper and the one thing I support him tipping on Regent for are the Compass Rose staff. My nephew has severe food allergies and he is always treated like a king, having special treats made just for him, but it's done discreetly. This is truly a life-saving service and I think it deserves extra special recognition.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

TC - I am amused that you are a fellow Below Deck watcher. I've watched since the beginning and am excited for the new season.

On the topic of tipping, we used our extra OBC to buy gifts for our cabin steward and she was thrilled. She gave me a huge hug.

My brother tends to be a big tipper and the one thing I support him tipping on Regent for are the Compass Rose staff. My nephew has severe food allergies and he is always treated like a king, having special treats made just for him, but it's done discreetly. This is truly a life-saving service and I think it deserves extra special recognition.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I appreciate hearing that the service in Compass Rose has been excellent (as it should be). On the other hand, posting about "big tippers" and giving discreet tips is, IMO, better kept private. I'm trying my best (which is hard to do) to keep my very strong opinions on this subject to myself so that Regent's tipping policy can stand alone and people can read and follow it as they see fit. I hope that you understand.

BTW, just watched Below Deck (recorded earlier) - it is going to be a fun season! The $15K+ tips the crew receives for 4 nights is quite amazing!

Tipping always seems to be a controversial topic. We have never considered tipping to be anywhere close to mandatory or an obligation on Regent, but almost always tip our butler and cabin attendant. It is not always in cash...(have given international long distance calling cards so that they can call home, ear rings to a particularly helpful attendant, and other special gifts based on conversations)...and we have always given to the crew fund (usually in cash, but on two cruises we bought four bikes for the crew to use while in port). Perhaps it is just us, but we both feel very fortunate for the gifts that our hard work has afforded us in life and simply wish to share in that same spirit. This is no way meant to be judgemental for those who feel differently, just a different perspective than what is printed in the catalogs.

Tipping always seems to be a controversial topic. We have never considered tipping to be anywhere close to mandatory or an obligation on Regent, but almost always tip our butler and cabin attendant. It is not always in cash...(have given international long distance calling cards so that they can call home, ear rings to a particularly helpful attendant, and other special gifts based on conversations)...and we have always given to the crew fund (usually in cash, but on two cruises we bought four bikes for the crew to use while in port). Perhaps it is just us, but we both feel very fortunate for the gifts that our hard work has afforded us in life and simply wish to share in that same spirit. This is no way meant to be judgemental for those who feel differently, just a different perspective than what is printed in the catalogs.

I sincerely believe that all of us appreciate the gifts that our hard word has afforded us in life. However, why do some people feel the need to discuss what, IMO, should be a personal choice? Although Regent's policy is very clear, no on is looking over your shoulder and reporting whether you tip or not. Some people choose to respect Regent's policy(ies) while others do not.

IMO, it is important to remember that not all Regent cruisers can afford to sail on Regent. Many save up for their cruise for a long time - usually to celebrate a special occasion. IMO, to make anyone feel "less than......" because they adhere to Regent's policies can make those of us that can afford the cruises appear to be braggarts (or worse).

Some of us have tried, unsuccessfully, to end this thread since the TS (thread starter) received their answer quite a while ago. Whether you tip or do not tip, why is this thread (and all "tipping" threads) destined to go on and on and on and on and on). IMO, there is no reason to justify what you do.

Again, no one is questioning a person's personal right to do as they choose, but I am questioning (yet again) why there is a need to broadcast it?

IMO, it is important to remember that not all Regent cruisers can afford to sail on Regent. Many save up for their cruise for a long time - usually to celebrate a special occasion. IMO, to make anyone feel "less than......" because they adhere to Regent's policies can make those of us that can afford the cruises appear to be braggarts (or worse).

I will modestly admit that I do not understand this statement. Is it perhaps because I am one of those Regent cruisers who cannot "afford to sail on Regent", although somehow I manage to do so from time to time? Gee, hock the family silver and, Bob's your Uncle, the final payment can be made! I guess that it's sort of like the "I'm Still Here" number from "Follies": Plush velvet sometimes, sometimes just pretzels and beer,

but I'm here. ;p

Is it possible that the gentle poster meant to suggest that not all Regent cruisers can afford to sail on Regent frequently (regularly, constantly, occasionally, or only in extremis...)? If so, that is a solidly correct statement, as Regent cruisers fall into all of those categories. I would respectfully offer the notion that amongst all of those categories are people who choose to tip butlers and housekeepers and people who do not choose to do so.

As a matter of mild curiosity, one might ask what the criteria might be for that select group of passengers who can be described as "those of us that can afford the cruises", as tipping does not seem to be the deciding factor. Is it number of cruises, standard of accommodation on such cruises, or, even to go farther afield, such factors as size of principal dwelling, size of vacation house, make and number of motor vehicles, etc.? Hmm, it might be prudent to recognize that if one is a passenger on a Regent cruise, then one may be assumed to be able to afford to be such, with no further analysis or judgment required, no?

I sincerely believe that all of us appreciate the gifts that our hard word has afforded us in life. However, why do some people feel the need to discuss what, IMO, should be a personal choice? Although Regent's policy is very clear, no on is looking over your shoulder and reporting whether you tip or not. Some people choose to respect Regent's policy(ies) while others do not.

Some of us have tried, unsuccessfully, to end this thread since the TS (thread starter) received their answer quite a while ago. Whether you tip or do not tip, why is this thread (and all "tipping" threads) destined to go on and on and on and on and on). IMO, there is no reason to justify what you do.

Again, no one is questioning a person's personal right to do as they choose, but I am questioning (yet again) why there is a need to broadcast it?

Said the person who has posted eleven times on this thread.

Said the person who has posted eleven times on this thread.

Not sure what your point is? My posts were an attempt to keep this thread from becoming what previous "tipping threads" have become. I believe that I was partially successful.

Uncle D - you made my point! Many of us have strong feelings about tipping (or not). I have strong opinions that I used to express (more than just the post in 2015). I learned the hard way that it is better not to post what I posted repeatedly over many years. Tipping is a personal decision. IMO, it does help to post (repeatedly if necessary) the Regent tipping policy.

Maybe because most of us cruise several lines and tips are included. Most people I know tip extra,. I think people just want to make sure if they give they will not be thrown off the ship. If if they do nit give be shunned.

When someone takes care of you for a month or more it nice to,tip. On one line I show up with gifts from home. It is what one should not have to do.

Well said TC!

I will modestly admit that I do not understand this statement. Is it perhaps because I am one of those Regent cruisers who cannot "afford to sail on Regent", although somehow I manage to do so from time to time? Gee, hock the family silver and, Bob's your Uncle, the final payment can be made! I guess that it's sort of like the "I'm Still Here" number from "Follies": Plush velvet sometimes, sometimes just pretzels and beer,

but I'm here. ;p

Is it possible that the gentle poster meant to suggest that not all Regent cruisers can afford to sail on Regent frequently (regularly, constantly, occasionally, or only in extremis...)? If so, that is a solidly correct statement, as Regent cruisers fall into all of those categories. I would respectfully offer the notion that amongst all of those categories are people who choose to tip butlers and housekeepers and people who do not choose to do so.

As a matter of mild curiosity, one might ask what the criteria might be for that select group of passengers who can be described as "those of us that can afford the cruises", as tipping does not seem to be the deciding factor. Is it number of cruises, standard of accommodation on such cruises, or, even to go farther afield, such factors as size of principal dwelling, size of vacation house, make and number of motor vehicles, etc.? Hmm, it might be prudent to recognize that if one is a passenger on a Regent cruise, then one may be assumed to be able to afford to be such, with no further analysis or judgment required, no?

I don't think that TC meant to come across as being condescending. I think she just could have phrased it better. I am one of those that fall into the category of can't really afford a Regent cruise but here I am ;p. I didn't take offense.