"LIVE" - Aloha, Radiance of the Seas May 5, 2017 Honolulu to Vancouver

Bob - I just read a review of Grandeur and there was a complaint about weak pours at the bar. How were the pours on Radiance? I've always found the bartenders on RCI ships to be very generous with the alcohol. I don't drink enough to justify the drink package but if the pours are weak, I may have to reconsider.

I scanned the Cruise Compasses along with the Diamond Plus benefits list and the officer list. Hopefully you will find them here. Let me know that the link works.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4oIM8NAb2u-S2FSYVVJOE00ejA

I am sounding like a broken record but we had a tremendous time on the cruise. Also the opportunity to spend 5 days on Oahu which allowed us to spend Marie's birthday in Hawaii added to the experience. I am so thankful for the Hale Koa hotel for being a great hotel and for making it possible for us to afford 5 nights on Waikiki.

While in the islands we did most everything we had planned prior except we elected not to pick up our rental car in Hilo. It was mostly a ship day for that port except making a run for chocolate macadamia nuts to bring home. But we did get the opportunity to see lava the night before so the port was not a complete wash.

Our at sea days were more active this time. Instead of primarily reading and napping there was tours and parties and luncheons. Don't tell anyone but I actually loved the last at sea day as we had nothing scheduled. ;p :D

The three high points of the trip for me were these in this order:

1. Visit to Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona - A very humbling and emotional experience for me. I do not understand why I waited so long to go.
  2. O'o Farm - A great tour, loads of fun picking greens for our salad, the food and coffee was outstanding and what a view. I am so envious of people living on the side of that mountain.
  3. Kauai Photo Tour - I have wanted to do this in the past but the ship visits to Kauai have just been too short. The stops were very scenic and our guide Matt was a lot of fun.

A couple of disappointments:

1. The drive out to Pu’u O Kila Lookout. It is a twisty narrow road but the reward is normally the spectacular view of Kalalau Valley. Our timing was not good and all we saw was a fog bank. oh well.
  2. The order of the entrees on the menu in the MDR - Usually every evening I can find an entree on the menu that I like and will order. They have added a few items but overall it appears they have shuffled the entrees on the menus so there were several nights that nothing tickled my fancy. Not a big thing and I guess if I am listing it as a negative that just shows how great the cruise was for us.

I want to say aloha to all the people we met, both previous friends and all the new friends we made. We met sooo many people that I know I can not keep names straight. So in the future I apologize for any blank stares when we met again. I have known for a long time that other cruisers can make a cruise special and this cruise was proof. Mahalo to all of you.

If anyone has any questions please let me know. See you in April on Ovation. :D

Bill

Love your reviews! Please do a live review on Ovation, all of us in Australia will follow along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A live review is best. Gives us who aren't in the same time zones something to wake up to.

Please...

I think saying I will not do a live report was just a post cruise thing, sure I will do it on Ovation.:)

Bob - I just read a review of Grandeur and there was a complaint about weak pours at the bar. How were the pours on Radiance? I've always found the bartenders on RCI ships to be very generous with the alcohol. I don't drink enough to justify the drink package but if the pours are weak, I may have to reconsider.

We primarily just drink wine on the ship and most of that during happy hour (we are a cheap date ;p). Depending on the venue the pours for the wine were consistent except in the main dining the amount of wine we got was lower. But I figure that was ok because they normally do not give Diamond happy hour drinks in main dining so it was really a bonus. :D

I scanned the Cruise Compasses along with the Diamond Plus benefits list and the officer list. Hopefully you will find them here. Let me know that the link works. ...

Excellent scans Bill. Thanks for all the hard work, it was fun!:)

You're killing me man! I can just taste that Hale Koa breakfast out on the lanai facing Waikiki. DROOL! Yum! Love those make it yourself waffles with banana/ pineapple/macadamia nuts on top with coconut syrup...mmmmmmm...:hearteyes:

OOps, supposed to be on a diet right now...hey no carbs in dreamland!:halo:

We did Radiance from San Diego last 2013, gonna ride along with ya....Aloha

OMG...I love those waffles ! [emoji7]

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

I so missed getting to see you and Marie on Radiance, but I felt as though I was along for the ride, thanks to your thread. :)

It has already been said over and over but you were missed. But our paths will cross again. :)

Thanks Bill for another great LIVE FROM trip report. Always love your pictures and commentary. Did this particular cruise in reverse a couple of years back and it was great to relive a great cruise!!

I look forward to your next LIVE FROM. Tell your lovely Marie to keep smiling that gorgeous smile 😊

Ellen

Thanks Bill for another great LIVE FROM trip report. Always love your pictures and commentary. Did this particular cruise in reverse a couple of years back and it was great to relive a great cruise!!

I look forward to your next LIVE FROM. Tell your lovely Marie to keep smiling that gorgeous smile 😊

Ellen

Thanks, being on vacation always brings out her smile. :D

Did you not get caught in the deluge of passengers stuck for about 3 hours in the hot warehouse?

No, we rented a car from Alamo right there at Canada Place and drove home to Seattle. I think we might have been home before some of the people left the dock. Sorry. :o

• 2 weeks later...
Aloha,

Welcome to my live report. I am Bill from the Seattle area traveling with my wife Marie through the Hawaiian Islands on Radiance of the Seas. This is a cruise we have done before and we never get tired of it. I hope you don't as well. :D

33778727292_f59f8d30c3_o.jpg

I'm just now finding this, I was on Adventure, the cruise you bailed out on us for! ;) That Adventure cruise did go well, but I'll bet this one was a little better, off to read the details.

I'm just now finding this, I was on Adventure, the cruise you bailed out on us for! ;) That Adventure cruise did go well, but I'll bet this one was a little better, off to read the details.

Thanks Bill, I bet that Adventure cruise was amazing. Marie and I really do want to do a southern Caribbean cruise but it doesn't look like anytime soon. 2018 is on Ovation in Asia and now 2019 is back on Radiance in Hawaii. :(

At ten minutes to 8 we went into the theater to watch a video of the attack with a substantial amount of actual film footage and narration with some of the survivors.

53b768315e17f2e572bb170953e47d6e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Boy does this theater bring back memories. I was sitting in about the same spot, the film was over, the guide asked, "Who remembers where they were when they heard Pearl was attacked?" Three Americans spoke up with interesting stories and the guy 2 seats down from my raised his hand and said, "I was loading bombs onto planes on the carrier Akagi. " The place got quiet. This was 1988. Back to your story....

My pleasure. I was surprised at how few children there was yesterday. Maybe it was too early in the day for them. It is very impactful so I would be sure to explain ahead of time what they will see, in particular the movie.

That was one of the few places I've ever been where they specifically talked to parents about what a solemn place the actual memorial is and what their expectations for your kids were. I did this almost 30 years ago.

Hi Bill

Thank you so much for posting another great live report, I remember you talking about a bakery in Hawaii, can you please remind me of the name and maybe repost the photo. I have searched on here but can't find it. Thank you.

Hi Bill

Thank you so much for posting another great live report, I remember you talking about a bakery in Hawaii, can you please remind me of the name and maybe repost the photo. I have searched on here but can't find it. Thank you.

Are you referring to Leonard's Bakery in Honolulu where we got malasadas? The address is 933 Kapahulu Ave, Honolulu, HI 96816.

167d747ab898f5cd3f9a871b7239831f.jpg

f1b23675bae9dfdf20a34c462c96ff87.jpg

bfae45f30cf02a4a9fca3d19655fa7d2.jpg