What's the story about fog in Galveston

Galveston must be doing right with 2 RCCL ships (Vision/Enchantment and Liberty) and 3 Carnival ships.

I have more problems in a lot of ways in Florida and Europe, than I have ever had with Fog in Galveston!

MOTHER NATURE IS MOTHER NATURE

WHERE EVER

EVERY WHERE

My thoughts exactly! Oh and lets not forget about DCL who sails out of Galveston for 2-3 months during the winter :D

The text below is quoted from the article by Cruise Critic referenced above in post #12.

"Cruise Critic reached out to a number of experts, including a pair Royal Caribbean marine ops people and a dispatcher from the Gal-Tex pilots, the group of mariners who guide cruise and other ships safely in and out of the Galveston port, for answers to our questions."

All the more reason that I object to the use of "ostensibly" (def: "as appears or is stated to be true, though not necessarily so; apparently".)

And if the USCG COTP says the port is open for navigation, but the pilots' association says it isn't safe, then the port is closed. However, if the COTP closes the port, the pilots have no ability to overrule that decision.

Cruise mainly Jan/Feb to escape the cold in the midwest 2 out 5 Galveston cruises have been delayed on disembarkation. luckily we had late afternoon flights and made them. that may partialy why cruises out of Galveston along with out of San Juan are usually among the cheapest 7 day cruises in that time period

Galveston must be doing right with 2 RCCL ships (Vision/Enchantment and Liberty) and 3 Carnival ships.

I have more problems in a lot of ways in Florida and Europe, than I have ever had with Fog in Galveston!

MOTHER NATURE IS MOTHER NATURE

WHERE EVER

EVERY WHERE

I agree! Regardless of fog, or who determines what or when to do something about it, a cruise is still a great way to travel.

Cruise mainly Jan/Feb to escape the cold in the midwest 2 out 5 Galveston cruises have been delayed on disembarkation. luckily we had late afternoon flights and made them. that may partialy why cruises out of Galveston along with out of San Juan are usually among the cheapest 7 day cruises in that time period

That's the most embellished 2/5 BS comment I have ever heard !

Edited by ssb

We've done 3 out of G-Town, one with boarding delayed until around 4pm but no problems on the other two.

While the Lexus express arrives and departs on our schedule, we have warned the friends we're traveling with in January they might not want to book the soonest available flight home.... to be on the safe side.

Only one cruise out of that area. That one was delayed by a day because of fog. Certainly not a "horror story" but it was a little disappointing since it was the first cruise for our granddaughter. We were glad we had travel insurance. Paid for lodging and meals.

Carnival Vista the newest and largest ship in Carnival fleet will also join Carnival Freedom and Carnival Valor, which also sail year-round from Galveston. Combined, the three ships will carry more than 650,000 guests from Galveston each year, giving Carnival the biggest presence at the port.

And Disney will return also.

We've sailed out of Galveston five times. Our first embarkation was fog-delayed and we got to hear the fog horn all the first night as well as on our return. IIRC, we all got $20 credits for "lunch" for the delayed embarkation. We can drive to Galveston so it is the easiest place for us to sail from. When we choose other ports, it's to experience the ship or itinerary or the port just for something different. But Galveston doesn't bother us at all. If we had to fly to Houston and drive to the port, I'd probably feel differently.

One of several reasons Galveston is at the bottom of our cruise port list.

I had booked a Christmas cruise for 2017 out of Galveston, and after reading about fog delays, switched our cruise to a Southern Caribbean. I think it might be at the bottom of our port list, now, also!

But now, there is that ridiculous airfare to San Juan....oh well!

ps. don't know if you remember that I shot the video of you folks going under the Golden Gate on the Mariner quite a few years back! Remember the swine flu? :o

... ps. don't know if you remember that I shot the video of you folks going under the Golden Gate on the Mariner quite a few years back! Remember the swine flu? :o

I don't remember the video, but I do remember someone taking photos of us passing under the bridge. I still have those photos!

We sailed out of Galveston last February. I deliberately booked a late flight, and had the shuttle pick us up at 3:30pm. We got off the ship late, went across the street to Fuddrucker's, had a leisurely lunch, used their free internet. It doesn't have to be an anxious mess getting off in Galveston.

It turned out to be a gorgeous day there with no fog, but we enjoyed that debarkation a lot!!

Sailed out of Galveston probably close to 15 times now. Only had fog issues once - on a March cruise. As others have said, winter months are more likely to have the issue. We avoid Jan/Feb/early March mainly because Texas weather is unpredictable. We've done the week after Thanksgiving many times - sometimes it's 70 degrees, sometimes it''s 40. One year we missed an ice storm in Dallas by a day - whew. If I had to fly to Galveston I would definitely book an afternoon flight and have travel insurance. Luckily, we drive.

Bottom line - yes there will be fog issues occasionally. It seems to be a bit over reported here.

I had booked a Christmas cruise for 2017 out of Galveston, and after reading about fog delays, switched our cruise to a Southern Caribbean. I think it might be at the bottom of our port list, now, also

Fog in December? Since when? Can count on one hand how many foggy mornings we have each year. Most years - none!

Have been delayed in other ports all over the world due to - Flooding in Rome, high seas in Cayman taking hours to tender, missed flights in Florida due to weather. missed flight in Lisbon due to air traffic controller strike, cancelled flights in Houston and delayed flights in Chicago, S.F. and L.A. due to weather somewhere else.

We just take it in stride as no one can predict what tomorrow will bring. Not going to cancel a trip due to "what if"!

Fog in December? Since when? Can count on one hand how many foggy mornings we have each year. Most years - none!

Have been delayed in other ports all over the world due to - Flooding in Rome, high seas in Cayman taking hours to tender, missed flights in Florida due to weather. missed flight in Lisbon due to air traffic controller strike, cancelled flights in Houston and delayed flights in Chicago, S.F. and L.A. due to weather somewhere else.

We just take it in stride as no one can predict what tomorrow will bring. Not going to cancel a trip due to "what if"!

Completely agree with you! People act like there is fog in Galveston every single day from December - March of every single year LOL. Ridiculous.