Advise on HAL Sand Diego to Ft. Lauderdale cruise

Any port experts out there willing to give me some help? We are taking HAL cruise from SD to FLD in December and stopping at the following ports. Wanting input from people who have been to these ports about what to do and what not to do.

We are stopping at the following ports: Puerto Vallarta, Huatulco, Mexico;

Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala

Corinto, Nicaragua

Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica

Cartagena, Columbia

We are gray-hairs but still mobile. We are not beach bunnies and like nature, history and cultures.

These ports are in my future, not my past, so I have no specific advice for the ports. Someone may come along with some suggestions.

However, in the meantime, I can suggest that you visit the Ports of Call forum and read through what people over there have to say. There might be some ideas there, or people who can answer more questions, regardless of cruise line.

we are also on a Dec sailing on this same route and I have searched boards and not a lot of current reports or information.....or at least not as much as some ports have posted. I also never found a roll call for our westerdam Dec 8 sailing but maybe I overlooked it. But hopefully between now and then we will hear from more people.

I have looked at some of the Holland tours that take a full hour and a half each way to get to destinations and not sure if we are up to that ......depending on how comfortable the buses are. Glad you asked this question

Any port experts out there willing to give me some help? We are taking HAL cruise from SD to FLD in December and stopping at the following ports. Wanting input from people who have been to these ports about what to do and what not to do.

Corinto, Nicaragua

Cartagena, Columbia

We are gray-hairs but still mobile. We are not beach bunnies and like nature, history and cultures.

I can give you some info about Puerto Caldera and Cartagena, from the blog my sister always keeps when we cruise together. You can click on the photos to enlarge:

Here's Puerto Caldera from October of 2015:

https://twocruisingsisters.wordpress.com/2015/10/08/puerto-caldera-costa-rica/

And here's Cartagena, also October of 2015:

https://twocruisingsisters.wordpress.com/2015/10/11/a-race-through-cartagena-colombia/

We have done all your ports.

Don't know what will be offered for your cruise.

Puerto Vallarta -- the best one we did was an all day tour where we went up into the mountains, visited a church and several other places -- lunch was included and very good -- even the warm apple pie.

Puerto Quetzal -- we did an all day tour via a small plane to Copon -- saw the ruins and had a wonderful Mexican lunch -- time to shop.

Corinto -- not much here -- but we did do about a 4 hour tour of the city and Museum. Nice

Puerto Caldera -- One of the best tours we did was the canal tour -- lot of wildlife. It also included an open air train ride through the countryside.

Cartagena -- any tour that includes the fortress.

Thanks to ALL of you for your suggestions about what you've done and seen. I suggest everyone read the daily bcd2010's blog for what they did daily. They saw more ports than I will be the information was very interesting.

Although it's 5 years old, my PC transit journal is still up on the inet. There are detailed entries for Puerto Vallarta, Puerto Quetzal, and Cartagena of what we did. http://www.bcdenterprises.net/PCcruise/

I didn't see an excursion for a Rural Communities and traditions. Sounds very 'up our allley'. Maybe they have discontinued.

You saw a lot more ports than we did.

I am still trying to get my head around paying for excursions. We took a cruise in March on Viking Ocean and there were free excursions at every port, usually a walking tour of the local town or a bus ride to the closest town for a walk-a-bout. There were exursions that were at extra expense and we did take a few of those.

OP: we did a full transit of the Panama Canal a few months ago (Miami to LA) and visited all of the ports on your itinerary (as well as some others). My very detailed review (with photos) of this cruise and what we did in each of the ports (a mix of private excursions, ship's tours, and DIY) is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2456255

We had a great trip. I hope you do as well!

Go to the, "Find Your Roll Call" tab above and start one, that way people out there can join in. S.D. is worth a couple of days it self. Go early there is lots to see & do there.

Allan

At Puerto Quetzal, definitely worth a visit to Antigua, either with a tour or take the ship transfer to Antigua. It is a 1-1/2 hour ride through the countryside. City is very colonial, very Mayan. My first visit we did the ship tour, second time the roll call organized a walking tour through Elizabeth Bell (US ex-pat). If you choose to wander on your own, make sure to see the cathedral. the part in use now was originally the narthex. See the ruins of the former very large church behind it. Earthquake...Visit the jade factory (Jade Maya) and purchase an inexpensive souvenir - a pendant of your birth symbol on the Mayan calendar. (I am No'J, a woodpecker...) EM

I didn't see an excursion for a Rural Communities and traditions. Sounds very 'up our allley'. Maybe they have discontinued.

You saw a lot more ports than we did.

I am still trying to get my head around paying for excursions. We took a cruise in March on Viking Ocean and there were free excursions at every port, usually a walking tour of the local town or a bus ride to the closest town for a walk-a-bout. There were exursions that were at extra expense and we did take a few of those.

The reason Viking has free excursions is: they started in the riverboat business [where there are free excursions in every port plus some optional fee ones in the other available time]. This is what they are used to offering and don't want to change their well-set reputation. This what I would expect on a Viking cruise - river or ocean.

Other cruise lines do not have this focus, so there is your difference.

.......I am still trying to get my head around paying for excursions. We took a cruise in March on Viking Ocean and there were free excursions at every port, usually a walking tour of the local town or a bus ride to the closest town for a walk-a-bout. There were exursions that were at extra expense and we did take a few of those.

Some of the ports on the Panama Canal itineraries are either industrial or far from the "action", hence the need for choosing either ship's tours or a private excursion. You can't just wander off the ship straight into town. Puerto Caldera is one example. In Cartagena we had literally six hours total in port, and it was our first visit there. We found we could make the best use of our limited time by enlisting the expert services of a private tour guide, so we arranged for that. It looks as if even Viking charges for the "extra" excursions, per your statement above.

Yes, "Mom". Viking does charge for some excursions. We found that their included tours in most ports were outstanding. Most were in the a.m. so on occasion, we could do the included as well as an optional...if our energy level lasted. We relied on the message boards to give us advice from others who had been to those ports. Since it was their first itinerary to some of these ports, we were the only ship in port that day, with the exception of one day when another Viking ship was in due to unrest in Mykonos.

I simply want to get the information on what others felt was good or a waste of time and resources. Usually the outside tour operators will give you a better deal, I hear, but I'm too chicken to try for fear of not making it back in time or hiring a flim-flamer. I too am getting to be 'older than some dirt; :D

Yes, "Mom". Viking does charge for some excursions. We found that their included tours in most ports were outstanding. Most were in the a.m. so on occasion, we could do the included as well as an optional...if our energy level lasted. We relied on the message boards to give us advice from others who had been to those ports. Since it was their first itinerary to some of these ports, we were the only ship in port that day, with the exception of one day when another Viking ship was in due to unrest in Mykonos.

I simply want to get the information on what others felt was good or a waste of time and resources. Usually the outside tour operators will give you a better deal, I hear, but I'm too chicken to try for fear of not making it back in time or hiring a flim-flamer. I too am getting to be 'older than some dirt; :D

We used "Dora the Explorer" in Cartagena. She is very experienced, very professional, and very careful in making sure you get back to the ship on time. There are others who come equally well-recommended. If you check the "Ports of Call" forum, and go to "Colombia", you will find the various tour guides mentioned. I personally loathe large bus tours with dozens of people, so I try to pick small group excursions with the ship, or independent tours on my own.

Good luck in your research, and I hope you have a marvelous cruise:D

Corinto, Nicaragua

Cartagena, Columbia

We have done this cruise several times and usually do our own thing. We have done a couple of interesting tours though.

In Puerto Quetzal, we did Antiqua On Your Own. It was the easiest way to get there, but we did not have to follow the "herd" from place to place. Antiqua is an old colonial town with plenty to see and do. It is an easy walking town, and we felt very safe there. The last time we were in Puerto Quetzal, we just stayed in the port area. There are quite a few vendors, plus if you spend so much (generally $5, including drinks) at a couple of the cafes, you can access their internet. That is $5 pp, but if you want to share a tablet or computer and take turns, that will work as there was no time limit on the internet when we were there. It makes for a relaxing day off the ship.

Most of the time in Puerto Vallarta and Huatulco, we just walk around town. In PV, we usually take a taxi into town and then back to the ship. If possible, we have rented cars there.

While we have taken a couple of tours in Huatulco, we generally walk around town, and occasionally, we take a taxi in to La Cruisita.

In Cartagena, we take a taxi to the old town and walk around. Just tell the driver to take you to the clock tower. The old town is safe; you just need to watch out for all the street vendors. Depending upon the time in port, we might go out to the new area to a shopping mall. We have also gotten a taxi driver to take us on a city tour including the old town, the fort, the old convent and the shopping area. Since the time in port has gotten shorter, you can't really go every where and really see all the sights in depth. The port has a small shopping area and an aviary. We have found the duty free shop in the port to have some pretty good prices.

Unfortunately, Puerto Caldera is a port in an industrial area, so getting any place on your own is difficult. There are a few taxis, but it can be iffy making it back to the ship. Usually, one or more tours are late coming back because of tie-ups on the highways, so going further than Punta Arenas on your own is not advisable. If you are lucky enough to dock in Punta Arenas, then it is easy to explore that town.

Except for walking into town in Corinto, you will probably need to take a tour to see anything.

Hope this information helps you decide. Whatever you do, you will have a great cruise and see some nteresting places, especially the Panama Canal.

Huatulco, Mexico:

We have been here twice. The first time we went on a "countryside" ship's tour which was very interesting. We like to get out into the country to see the real thing.

The second time I had read about Copalita Eco-Archaeological Park just south of town about 11k. We anticipated hiring a taxi but there was a shelter on the pier gathering a van tour there. No one else wanted to go so we had a private tour for just the two of us. The park is quiet & not grand like some but we enjoyed it. There is a great little museum displaying artifacts from the area. Good to have a guide as the displays are all in Spanish. On the return we agreed to some time in La Crucesita for shopping, drinks, etc. We spent about an hour & then were delivered back to the port. I think it cost about US$40.00-60.00 for the 2 of us. That was 2013.

In Puerto Quetzal we enjoyed walking the port area, and especially the air conditioned Jade Museum. It is small but interesting, and a welcome respite. It's a good place to purchase coffee!

In Puerto Caldera Costa Rica we had an excellent ship's tour to the upper dry forest, saw huge crocodiles, a lovely botanical garden with aviary and lost of countryside. I think it was half day as I don't recall any meals. Any tour that takes you up in elevation is good because it's a bit cooler the higher you go.

Huatulco we have browsed the small market but we always take a dip in the ocean there, right next to the pier, it's so convenient. Have a great cruise! m--

Corinto, Nicaragua

Cartagena, Columbia

The only port I've been to on your list is Puerto Vallarta during a Princess Mexican Riviera cruise. I hope you like tequila. If you plan on walking through town, there is literally 1 or 2 liquor stores on every block, and they all want to give you a free taste of tequila. After a few of these stops, does it really matter which excursion you decide on?;)

in puerto quetzal we enjoyed walking the port area, and especially the air conditioned jade museum. It is small but interesting, and a welcome respite. It's a good place to purchase coffee!

In puerto caldera costa rica we had an excellent ship's tour to the upper dry forest, saw huge crocodiles, a lovely botanical garden with aviary and lost of countryside. I think it was half day as i don't recall any meals. Any tour that takes you up in elevation is good because it's a bit cooler the higher you go.

Huatulco we have browsed the small market but we always take a dip in the ocean there, right next to the pier, it's so convenient. Have a great cruise! M--

RMLincoln thanks !!!!

Edited by Sunseeker1001
Add a name for post