First time on Celebrity - Where can we eat when we board the Equinox?

Cruiser-EV

Hi All,

We are on our first Celebrity cruise on the 5/26 Equinox sailing. Because we are Diamond on RCCL - we are Elite on Celebrity. Staying in a regular veranda stateroom.

We know to avoid the Windjammer on embarkation day but what are our choices on the Equinox?

I don't think we will be early - will be driving to Miami from Orlando.

Thanks for any suggestions :cool:

Oceanview Cafe (=X= equivalent of Windjammer).

I cannot recall if Mast Grill was open on embarkation day. We were in a suite and concierge class the last two cruises, which have other options on embarcation day.

If you like Chops, do not expect Tuscan to be anything like it. We MUCH prefer Chops to Tuscan. Otherwise, aqua cafe (off the solarium pool area) is lighter fare--they do offer grilled to order arctic char(salmon), salads, chicken salad made with Greek yogurt, etc. Mast Grill is burgers, hot dogs, fries and outside tables. In all fairness, depending on when you board, the Oceanview is not that bad. Finding a table can be a challenge but you can go up the outside stairs to the bar area above and usually find something. Have a great cruise. Once we tried Celebrity we haven't gone back to Royal. But Royal did have better entertainment and Chops.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are arriving after 1 or 1:30 then the Ocean View Buffet shouldn't be crowded. That's when the announcement is generally made that the cabins are ready. The problem with the Ocean View before that is people eat and then camp out there with all their carry on luggage...tying up tables. Once the announcement is made the place clears out and you shouldn't have a problem finding a table. We board early and just hang out somewhere else until the announcement is made and then go eat.

If you are arriving after 1 or 1:30 then the Ocean View Buffet shouldn't be crowded. That's when the announcement is generally made that the cabins are ready. The problem with the Ocean View before that is people eat and then camp out there with all their carry on luggage...tying up tables. Once the announcement is made the place clears out and you shouldn't have a problem finding a table. We board early and just hang out somewhere else until the announcement is made and then go eat.

Now that is brilliant thinking, Helen! I believe our new boarding routine is now going to be welcome aboard drinks in a lounge somewhere, then dropping bags off in the room, then nibbles at the cafe. Smart thinking indeed!

Welcome to Celebrity!

You are going to like the difference of the Oceanview vs the Windjammer. We are Diamond, 1st in 1989, and Elite, 1st in 1994, we understand! ;)

Don't let the experience on RCCL influence why you do, or don't do, something on Celebrity.

Our last 3 and next cruise have been on Celebrity. Our last RCCL was the Freedom in 2011.

We are also on the May 26th sailing and we like getting our food in the grill and then taking our plates outside and relaxing and people watch! We feel that as soon as we are on board the vacation officially begins!

Oceanview is Royals equivalent of Windjammer. The Aqua Spa Cafe (Solarium) and the Mast Grill (upper pool deck) are both no charge and open on embarkation.

I wouldn't mind paying for a lunch where somebody takes my order and serves me food and drinks while I sit down and chill. Are there any pay-for lunch places on embarkation day?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wouldn't mind paying for a lunch where somebody takes my order and serves me food and drinks while I sit down and chill. Are there any pay-for lunch places on embarkation day?

Sort of, if you PAY for a Concierge Class cabin, you may eat in the MDR for the Concierge Class luncheon. :cool:

Pat

Sort of, if you PAY for a Concierge Class cabin, you may eat in the MDR for the Concierge Class luncheon. :cool:

Pat

I already booked aqua class for Blu. I read some other post that Gastro bar might be open and serving lunch? What about sushi on five? Is that open for embarkation?

I already booked aqua class for Blu. I read some other post that Gastro bar might be open and serving lunch? What about sushi on five? Is that open for embarkation?

I remember Bistro on Five used to be opened too. But since BoF is no more, I just don't know.

Pat

It was open for lunch on our last cruise on Solstice in September. We had a very nice lunch there.

If you like Chops, do not expect Tuscan to be anything like it. We MUCH prefer Chops to Tuscan.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just shows food is very subjective, we feel the exact opposite. Tuscan Grille is far superior to Chops.

Sushi on Five was open on embarkment day in January and we enjoyed a very relaxing lunch there when we got on the Silhouette. We're on Equinox again on the 15th (cruise before yours) and if open will enjoy another relaxing lunch there.

I think the hours are 11:30 to 2:30 for the main buffet in the Ocean View. But pasta, pizza and salad bar are open till 1 am.

Aqua Spa cafe closes at 2:30, so if you are boarding late, keep that in mind. This is a lovely quiet place on embarkation day.

Thank you both for sharing this information.

Aqua Spa cafe closes at 2:30, so if you are boarding late, keep that in mind. This is a lovely quiet place on embarkation day.

There are limited tables in the seating area of the Aqua Spa Cafe. However, nothing to stop you from grabbing a lounge in the adjacent Solarium and eating there.

DW and I always board very early and never have a problem eating at the Oceanview Cafe when they first open up on Embarkation day. After all, why waste any time that you've paid for. Then we move to Solarium and wait for rooms to be open.

I've never found the buffet on Celebrity to be anywhere near as crowded as on Royal. the WIndjammer is a zoo and finding a table can be a real hassle. I've never had a problem finding a place to sit in the Oceanview Cafe especially on the Solstice class ships. Go out the back doors and sit on the back patio area, its my favorite place to eat breakfast or lunch.