Should we buy Travel Insurance?

We always get 3rd party travel insurance for better limit coverage. We also experienced satisfactory claims processing when our home airport destination was closed due to snowstorm and needed 2 days of hotel accommodation and meals for the next flight.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You only NEED insurance if losing the funds you've spend will hurt your pocketbook. For most folks, that is why they buy insurance. Also, if you DO buy a policy, make sure it covers medical evacuations, in case something should happen where that becomes needed! Very expensive to be airlifted off the ship. And, if you are taken to a foreign hospital for emergency treatment, can you afford to get back home?

Getting airlifted off a ship by the "coast guard" or "navy" in most countries' territorial waters or within their patrol zone beyond that limit doesn't cost anything - not a single cent!

However, that free ride only gets you to an emergency facility where you can be stabilized. The significant "evacuation" cost involves the "ambulance" (air or otherwise) that then moves you to a regional medical center or even back to the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, yes, YES to travel insurance.

Personally I have an annual multi trip insurance. Unlimited world wide medical coverage, winter sports coverage etc. I opted out of some points, such as extra value luggage, adventure sports and such.

Well worth it , if you consider that a busted knee whilst skiing in Austria a few years ago would have cost me well over 20K all things considered. Travel insurance covered the lot.

Just make sure that you disclose any pre existing conditions. Even something as seemingly trivial as taking blood pressure medication or insulin shots.

Yep, another trip insurance person here.

Like the broken knee in Austria, I shattered a fibula and dislocated the tibia at the ankle on a hiking trip in Italy. The last bill I saw that my travel insurer sent me (I wanted all the paperwork) was for over 10,000.00 EU just for the hospital. Add on another $4000.00 for cancelling the rest of my trip, changing airfare, changing hotel dates, private taxi from Siena to Florence, well, it was a massive bill. I did not have to pay anything.

I just had to cancel a cruise 3 days before I left due to a medical emergency (my dog was seriously ill). I had taken a week off without pay for this vacation (I don't get vacation benefits until I complete a year in December), so I was glad that I had insurance to at least cover the cancellation of the flights, hotels, and cruise.

Travel insurance is priced on various inputs (trip cost, destination/s, & AGE). If you are young, it wont be expensive. Cruiseline/Carnival's insurance is not optimal--coverages are lesser amounts, restrictions are higher, and Carnival has a conflict of interest if you have a claim. However, the cruise line will insure OLDER travelers.

When to buy travel insurance depends on what you are buying coverages for. This helped us: https://www.generalitravelinsurance.com/travel-resources/timing-when-to-buy-travel-insurance.html

The Young and foolish get hurt falling off a scooter or jet ski and the old and sensible slip down the stairs. ☺

Different risks for different ages.

In the end people will say travel insurance wad a waste of money if it's not needed, but a wise investment if anything goes wrong.....

Adding to what everyone else has said--get the insurance!

I've only had to use it once due to a weather related travel issue, but the claim was filed and paid out in quick order. For me, the investment was well worth it, just for the peace of mind factor.

A visit to the ship's Dr is generally not covered. Being sent by the ship's Dr for evaluation at the ER in FLL to get clearance to fly means we spent our deductible in February 2016. If surgery had been required the travel insurance would have covered hotel for me until DH could travel home.

Travel insurance paid for the costs, meaning we could save our HSA for other expenses.

Yes, yes, yes, yes you should buy travel insurance. Yes.

I travel internationally about 1-2 times a year and I'd never go without it. Last year I ended up having a major medical incident just 12 hours after I'd stepped off a plane. If I'd not been insured, my bill seriously would have been worth more than my house. I was so incredibly grateful for the care I received and the peace of mind knowing that all I had to do was heal, I didn't have to stress about the cost. I was (am) a basically healthy young-ish woman with no pre-existing conditions, no medications, exercise regularly and eat healthy, travel often enough to know all the 'right' things to do, so I'd honestly be one of the last people you'd imagine to have an issue. Certainly not a massive DVT and PE with a week in intensive care.

By all means, check out your credit card insurance and other options. Just don't travel without it.

It comes down to how risk adverse you are and whether your current state of health qualifies you for travel insurance.

The cost of medical care is not the only issue. The cost of repatriation to your home country could be much higher.

DW broke her neck in Malaysia two years ago. Hospital visit, Xrays, consult, MRI, another consult, written report complete with xrays and MRI CD, and a weeks worth of prescription pills cost just under $600USD.

Shudder to think what it would have cost if we had been in the USA. Or if she needed to be airlifted home from Kuala Lumpur.

Hey all,

We will be going on our first cruise in September on Carnival Triumph. However, we are not sure whether we should purchase travel insurance, and if we should, through who. Carnival offers their own when purchasing tickets, but I wasn't sure there weren't better options.

Do you guys have any advice for us?

Thanks!

We were on a cruise that left Miami a couple of years ago. By 10 at night we were in Nassau having a very ill traveler taken of the ship by another boat and taken to the hospital there. I am not sure what happened but a bill from the medical department on the ship, transport from the ship to the hospital, care at the hospital, transportation home, and missing the cruise can leave you a hefty bill.

I'll quote Don so the OP will read Don's very important comments again.

Thanks.

I will add that based on the comments posted on CC, everyone appears to always has a problem that was covered by insurance. The problem is that people who have a cruise w/o any problems almost never post so we do not hear about them. We only see the positive data and not the negative data. So the result of asking the "should I take insurance" is deceptive because the sample set is skewed.

As I have said, I insure for medical and evacuation only. However, I also recognize that buying insurance is like buying a lottery ticket. The probability of a payoff is low but in this case you do not want to collect.

Just don't ask me or the cruise company to make you whole if you decide not to buy insurance and s*** happens.

DON

The Young and foolish get hurt falling off a scooter or jet ski and the old and sensible slip down the stairs. ☺

Different risks for different ages.

In the end people will say travel insurance wad a waste of money if it's not needed, but a wise investment if anything goes wrong.....

Just like insurance on your auto or home. You hope you never need it, but if you do, you will be thankful you have it. Same with health insurance. You only get your money's worth if something bad happens to you.

Bottom line, if you never need it, you you made a bad investment, But if you do need it, you made a wise investment. ;)

Hey all,

We will be going on our first cruise in September on Carnival Triumph. However, we are not sure whether we should purchase travel insurance, and if we should, through who. Carnival offers their own when purchasing tickets, but I wasn't sure there weren't better options.

Do you guys have any advice for us?

Thanks!

For us travel insurance is a must . It may be costly but it is worth every penny.

I mentioned (ok complained) to a health care provider that the only thing I used my health cover for was new glasses every year. She replied "that's a good thing".

Puts it into perspective, I have never used my travel insurance but it's there when and if I need it.

If you use credit card insurance, read fine print carefully.

Since the comprehensive plans do not have much medical coverage, would it be a good idea to buy a basic policy AND a separate high deductible medical policy that could give you a much higher medical coverage ($1 million)? Possibly cheaper than a Platinum plan.