Luggage????

My wife & I will be flying from New Orleans to Long Beach on a 14 day cruise through the Panama Canal to New Orleans. I was wondering how much would you pack (I know my wife will probably bring twice as much as me). Also with the price of the luggage weight, what is a nice brand of luggage to use (lightweight / durable)

My general strategy is to choose a suitcase (for this I would use my 25" suitcase) and not take anything that I couldn't get in there and my backpack carry on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pack for a 7 day trip then just add some more underwear. Cut back on shoes, 1 pr, 1 pr sneakers, 1 pr flip flops is all you need. My Daughter and quite a few of her friends like the rolling duffel.

This for 30 bucks is a steal

http://www.ebags.com/product/travelers-club-luggage/30-multi-pocket-upright-duffel/294656?productid=10457330

Side pockets are great for dirty socks if you have souvenirs to put inside

52008743469949p?hei=2000&wid=2000&qlt=50,1

bag.JPG.9650bdeb1f7ca7107ad35f314831c17f.JPG

I agree with SWA for the free bags. But I also have recently purchased new bags from Ebags, It luggage, a 31 in is only 6.3 lbs. I was looking for lightweight, have upcoming cruises that leave from ports that SWA does not fly.

Pack half of what you think you will need. Norwegian is fairly casual so that makes it easier, no formal nights. They have laundry specials a couple of times on a14 day cruise. I take a little bag of detergent and wash socks and undies and even light tops and hang in the cabin to dry.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Forums mobile app

As for luggage, go to Marshall's or TJMaxx type stores and look and carry what they have. This way you can actually test how heavy they are. You can usually find some good prices. I never pay a lot for suitcases, they get banged up and dirty so I go with lightweight and cheap. Since it will be hot in Panama you get a lot more room as summer clothes don't take up as much room, so you can get a lot of stuff in a suitcase. For 2weeks in Europe I pack a 21" roll aboard. If I was going 3 weeks I up it to a 25" suitcase.

I have quick dry underwear which I will wash out every night along with my brassieres so I can cut down in space for those as they will be dry the next day.

Edited by Sauer-kraut

pack for a 7 day trip then just add some more underwear. Cut back on shoes, 1 pr, 1 pr sneakers, 1 pr flip flops is all you need. My Daughter and quite a few of her friends like the rolling duffel.

This for 30 bucks is a steal

http://www.ebags.com/product/travelers-club-luggage/30-multi-pocket-upright-duffel/294656?productid=10457330

Side pockets are great for dirty socks if you have souvenirs to put inside

52008743469949p?hei=2000&wid=2000&qlt=50,1

I appreciate your post. However when I went to the site the reviews for this bag were not good. Apparently they had issues with the zipper breaking. Many of them had the same problem. It's a shame because it looks like a nice bag.

My wife & I will be flying from New Orleans to Long Beach on a 14 day cruise through the Panama Canal to New Orleans. I was wondering how much would you pack (I know my wife will probably bring twice as much as me). Also with the price of the luggage weight, what is a nice brand of luggage to use (lightweight / durable)

I assume you know they have laundry specials onboard.

If you aren't going to be traveling much, Goodwill can sometimes have very nice suitcases. I want quality, not cheap bags. Cheap bags can't take the stress of long term travel. Borrowing bags is a good option as well. I use a 24" rather than anything larger since it then becomes heavy darn easy with too much stuff.

I can get everything I need in that bag, and gone way more than what is posted above. Usually at least 4 weeks, with no problem. Laundry is essential. First, it is a cheap option on NCL, you can get a lot in the bag special with rolling. I also don't want "fermenting" dirty clothes to carry around. :) I'm leaving Friday and will be gone for 6 weeks to Alaska. Again, my routine is simple, allows me ease with public transportation and cheap travel. I always can have 2 free checked bags and never check more than 1. :)

Aim for packing light.

I don't know how large yalls underwear is that you need to do laundry in your cabin. Fold your panty in half, and half again. Tightly roll and secure with scotch tape. I am not looking at anybody's underwear hanging in my bathroom.

And yes, I have been on 11, 14 and 15 night cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't know how large yalls underwear is that you need to do laundry in your cabin. Fold your panty in half, and half again. Tightly roll and secure with scotch tape. I am not looking at anybody's underwear hanging in my bathroom.

And yes, I have been on 11, 14 and 15 night cruises.

Who wears underwear on a cruise? :')

This question is always so personal. For a 2 week trip, I bring one suitcase on rollers, the biggest I can manage. It's from eBags since my former boss is their CEO. I'm a million mile flyer on United so I'm allowed a 70 lb bag for free. I'll never have to lift the thing, just roll it so the weight doesn't matter. On vacation, I want to look exactly like me, not an accessory and shoe less version of me. And I also take full advantage of the ship's laundry service mid cruise. No self-laundry here either!

I have no idea what my husband brings. It's every man for himself in my family.

I pack my outfits by day. I have an excel file of what I wear each night. I double up some outfits since I am in them just for dinner. There is always laundry service that I would use for s long trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would also suggest the use of packing cubes to help pack more stuff into a smaller space, as well as help you stay organized. My personal favorite is the Eagle Creek (original) brand. They have a lot of variety size wise, but I find the most used sizes are the half cube (small size used for small women's tshirts, shorts, pajamas etc), medium cube (used for pretty much every other size of clothing and pants). The quarter cube is good for underwear, the tube cube is great for socks, undershirts or men's boxers, and even swimsuits (and bikini tops that you don't want to fold in half, or bras).

ebags and Amazon basics also sell good cubes, however neither of them sell the smallest cube (the quarter cube), and their version of the half cube and medium cube are both about an inch larger than Eagle Creek. That can be beneficial to some people who don't like rolling their clothes as tightly, but annoying to those who really want their stuff to be compact. I also find that when clothing is rolled up, it is compressed a bit better in Eagle Creek than in the other two, which use more mesh in their design and therefore don't hold down clothes as tightly (leaving the bags kind of lumpy rather than flat, like Eagle Creek bags).

If the extra inch and the lumpiness doesn't matter to you, go with Amazon basics or ebags, which are both much cheaper than Eagle Creek. Amazon basics and ebags have the same dimensions as each other for their sizes, and Amazon basics gives you 4 bags in a set rather than the 3 you get with eBags, so I would go with Amazon basics first for price and value, and eBags second for color variety.

I would also suggest the use of packing cubes to help pack more stuff into a smaller space, as well as help you stay organized. My personal favorite is the Eagle Creek (original) brand. They have a lot of variety size wise, but I find the most used sizes are the half cube (small size used for small women's tshirts, shorts, pajamas etc), medium cube (used for pretty much every other size of clothing and pants). The quarter cube is good for underwear, the tube cube is great for socks, undershirts or men's boxers, and even swimsuits (and bikini tops that you don't want to fold in half, or bras).

ebags and Amazon basics also sell good

My wife & I travel often professionally and need durable bags. We both bring an eBag large bag; one eBag backpack; and one small eBag bag for under the seat. Durable bags that are pricey but very functional with strong zippers

Get a small, medium, and large cube as suggested above to help keep your clothes organized, easy to unpack, and unwrinkled.

Russ