Harmony Horrors!!

I feel like some are very much under estimating the cost and time involved in replacing dentures.

I pray none of you ever have to find out 1st hand.

Loyal2Royal

MOTS 11/04, NOTS 4/18,

Allure 9/17, Anthem 4/18

Well I don't. I am scared to death this would ever happen to me, because aside from inconvenience during a cruise, I work... and I don't know what to do should this happen. This is why I watch it more than all my valuables. But I do watch it! No chance I'd leave it just sitting on a counter if I am not around, much less if I am leaving my cabin. Three paid cruises won't make me feel better.

I feel like some are very much under estimating the cost and time involved in replacing dentures.

I pray none of you ever have to find out 1st hand.

Loyal2Royal

MOTS 11/04, NOTS 4/18,

Allure 9/17, Anthem 4/18

I am currently getting my fourth tooth implant,they cost £2500 each so about $1300 in total uhh.

Wow that is horrible :( I would be upset to spend a whole cruise unable to eat and being embarrassed to speak or smile because my teeth were missing.

I would want to cruiseline to pay to replace them, but I think it would be hard to prove that the room attendant threw them away unless they admitted to doing so, and if they admitted to doing so, that would mean they knew they were throwing them away at the time, which I doubt.

As unfortunate and disappointing as this was, sh-t happens. It's like when kids lose their retainers or break their glasses. It happens. It sucks because you were on vacation while it happened and couldn't get them replaced quickly, but it's just one of those things that are hard lessons learned about putting your things away where they belong so that you don't lose them (like kids putting retainers in their cases at lunch instead of on the lunch tray where they accidentally get tossed out, or husbands leaving their teeth on the counter where they could be knocked on the floor or wiped off the counter by rushed and unobservant cleaning crew).

It's unfortunate, but didn't have to cause you both to feel that your celebration was a disaster. Keep in perspective that you found someone you wanted to spend 30 years of your life with, you are very lucky. Be thankful that you had the ability to take a vacation to celebrate the milestone, be happy that you were both able to be together creating new memories after so many years, even if one of those memories was that your husbands teeth got thrown away. Hopefully you can look at it as a funny story later, after the dentures are replaced and you settle down.

Take the 50% off and do a re-do.

This is such a good response I just wanted to quote it so it would be read again. Let it sink in.

To the OP I'm sorry that happened to you. Most of us have had problems occur but yours is uglier than most. File your claims but let your anger about it go. Forgive me for saying it, but you aren't getting any younger. Count your blessings and get on with your life. Take the 50% or don't. File a claim or don't, but let the anger about the situation go. I know easier said than done but you won't gain anything from it.

Not at all. Having to go without them sucks, and is embarrassing. And costly/time consuming to replace. I think we all get that. What is in question is: Did an RCI cabin steward, out of pure negligence, throw out a pair of dentures sitting openly on the bathroom counter.

The OP assumes that is what happened, because that is where her husband remembered leaving them, and they weren't there when they got back. All the circumstances around how it actually went down may never be known. Whether RCI therefore should up front immediately assume 100% responsibility is the question at hand. I suspect this is not the first (and won't be the last) time something like this has happened on a cruise ship.

They offered 50%. It is likely a calmer, more reasoned attitude may get yet more comps. Probably not a free cruise. And it seems unlikely that they'd admit fault because A) who knows for sure and B) liability issues from that could run wild. What if the husband had complicating factors around his pre-existing gum condition, or otherwise hurt himself by not having the dentures? A good PI lawyer could run wild with that. Unless it is 100% sure the cabin steward threw a pair of dentures that were sitting in the open away there's no way RCI is admitting to such.

Go for what you can get and relax is my advice.

I think RC are being very decent and the 50% is off another cruise not their recent cruise so not really admittedly guilt.

Patsy451: I am so sorry your husband endured this problem. If I were you, I'd take the half off cruise but then again by writing to senior staff as suggested perhaps you'd be entitled to more. You are certainly entitled to some form of compensation for that loss and the ensuing disconcerting situation your husband was placed into.

Sorry for the disheartening posts and the pokes over this. He's 80 too. Elderly people don't deserve that kind of treatment.

Good luck Patsy and all the very best to you and your husband.

Patsy451: I am so sorry your husband endured this problem. If I were you, I'd take the half off cruise but then again by writing to senior staff as suggested perhaps you'd be entitled to more. You are certainly entitled to some form of compensation for that loss and the ensuing disconcerting situation your husband was placed into.

Sorry for the disheartening posts and the pokes over this. He's 80 too. Elderly people don't deserve that kind of treatment.

Good luck Patsy and all the very best to you and your husband.

I think everyone has sympathy they just posted wrongly.

Truly sympathize with op. Have worn dentures for many years, and appreciate they can cost several thousand dollars. Never lost one, but have had them break more than once, and usually at the worst possible time. Am thus paranoid when sailing and always pack an old set in my luggage. Might not fit tight, but something is better than nothing.

Truly sympathize with op. Have worn dentures for many years, and appreciate they can cost several thousand dollars. Never lost one, but have had them break more than once, and usually at the worst possible time. Am thus paranoid when sailing and always pack an old set in my luggage. Might not fit tight, but something is better than nothing.

Great idea and although not ideal for op it might have made it easier for him.

Wow that is horrible :( I would be upset to spend a whole cruise unable to eat and being embarrassed to speak or smile because my teeth were missing.

I would want to cruiseline to pay to replace them, but I think it would be hard to prove that the room attendant threw them away unless they admitted to doing so, and if they admitted to doing so, that would mean they knew they were throwing them away at the time, which I doubt.

As unfortunate and disappointing as this was, sh-t happens. It's like when kids lose their retainers or break their glasses. It happens. It sucks because you were on vacation while it happened and couldn't get them replaced quickly, but it's just one of those things that are hard lessons learned about putting your things away where they belong so that you don't lose them (like kids putting retainers in their cases at lunch instead of on the lunch tray where they accidentally get tossed out, or husbands leaving their teeth on the counter where they could be knocked on the floor or wiped off the counter by rushed and unobservant cleaning crew).

It's unfortunate, but didn't have to cause you both to feel that your celebration was a disaster. Keep in perspective that you found someone you wanted to spend 30 years of your life with, you are very lucky. Be thankful that you had the ability to take a vacation to celebrate the milestone, be happy that you were both able to be together creating new memories after so many years, even if one of those memories was that your husbands teeth got thrown away. Hopefully you can look at it as a funny story later, after the dentures are replaced and you settle down.

Take the 50% off and do a re-do.

This is such a good response I just wanted to quote it so it would be read again. Let it sink in.

To the OP I'm sorry that happened to you. Most of us have had problems occur but yours is uglier than most. File your claims but let your anger about it go. Forgive me for saying it, but you aren't getting any younger. Count your blessings and get on with your life. Take the 50% or don't. File a claim or don't, but let the anger about the situation go. I know easier said than done but you won't gain anything from it.

Retainers and palate expanders, had 4 of my kids in braces. My dad and my friend threw out ds14's palate expanders, who knows what happened to the 3rd. Dd20 lost an expander and a retainer, and we dug through numerous bags with success! No one did it on purpose, but kids seem to love to wrap those suckers up in tissues or paper towels instead of their cases!

OP, I think they are being fair, especially if no one really knows what happened. In our household, things get misplaced, and folks swear they remember where they put something last, only for it to turn up elsewhere. I don't think indigestion can be blamed on the cruise line, obviously if it were something serious like food poisoning, a lot of passengers would be ill.

It stinks this happened.

I am very very sorry that your vacation was ruined. I can see why. I am thinking if this happened to my daughter with her retainer how I would react. I realize it is not the same but it is an item that might be left on a counter. Unless it was in the proper case I would say the issue is 50/50 here. They are offering you 50% off and I think that is more than fair. Hope your next vacation is much better!

LOL this is actually making me laugh....I will take 50% off and go on a cruise with no teeth. I think this a bit dramatic...

Yeah, I'm sure the OP's husband loved to eat almost baby food for the week. That's real funny.

Well, I can give you the email address for the head honcho, but first you have to "reveal the circumstances". ;p

CB

Ok here it is... my husband is 80 yrs old. He has full dentures. Had a dental procedure the night before cruise so bottom gum was painful. 2nd night after dinner, he took out bottom denture, cleaned it placed it on the sink, we went out to a show, he says oh I forgot it, I say don't worry we're not eating leave it. Returned at 11 pm GONE!! Attendant tossed it in the trash!! Called they say sorry trash got incinerated!!! Next 5 days no teeth!! Couldn't eat anything that wasn't mashed! Pics were ruined! He was embarrassed, and miserable! Housekeeping Sup says we don't pay for lost or stolen!! Was neither, he trashed it!!! He calls in sick next 2 days and doesn't clean our room 2 of the 7 days I have to call for towels!!!Top it all off formal night waitresss spill our champagne all over my gown, have to sit in wet dress all night, husband gets sick from eating freaky food, and miss Mexico excursion we pd for. You tell me was that worth the 4K I paid to celebrate my 30th anniversary!!

Circumstances listed you tell me if it deems " head honcho" or not

If they had not already offered 50% (which I would have grabbed), I probably would have sent an email to head honcho Michael Bailey (Snooksi already provided his email in post #27, mbayley@rccl.com).

My email would have been polite and, while I may have mentioned some of the other problems in passing, the focus would have been on the dentures because they are the only thing that could really ruin a cruise.

If the waitress spilled champagne on my clothes, I would have went and changed. I would have expected the ship to immediately offer to pick up the dry cleaning bill onboard as well as comp me some champagne or something. It would not have ruined my cruise. Same goes for my stateroom attendant missing in action for 2 days. I would have called housekeeping after the first morning missed and have them send someone else. As far as getting sick from eating "freaky food" and missing an excursion, I wouldn't even mention that unless you had documented proof that others also got sick because the food was bad or undercooked. People experience a lot of new dishes and spices when they cruise and, unfortunately, these foods might not agree with everyone.

While I would never leave my dentures laying out in the open, if I did and they were thrown away by my cabin steward, I would be devastated for the rest of my cruise! I am very sorry this happened to your husband but it's hard to fathom a steward being that irresponsible unless, as others have posted, the dentures were wrapped in tissues. Or perhaps wrapped in a washcloth that got picked up with the used towels?

In any event, I really am sorry for the circumstances you experienced, none of which anyone wants to experience on a cruise they've planned and saved for and only want happy memories.

Happy belated 30th anniversary and many more.

CB

Your SA wasn't called Mirna were they?

dentures_missing.jpg

:eek:

Swoopy2110, I'm going to need for you to reimburse me. After seeing this post, I blew soda out of my nose and all over my brand new Nike running pants, then my dentures went flying out of my mouth and cracked my brand new Led TV, my cleaning girl hasn't come in 2 days, the food in the fridge was spoiled but I felt the need to eat it anyways and got sick. I feel 50% compensation is not acceptable. I will take nothing less then 51% compensation. [emoji12] [emoji13] [emoji14]

Well, I can give you the email address for the head honcho, but first you have to "reveal the circumstances". ;p

CB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Forums mobile app

A multi-billion dollar corporation is going involve their "insurer" for a lost set of dentures.........?:rolleyes: Too funny.

Regardless how or where they were placed, it sounds like RCCL has acknowledged that their employee disposed of them by offering the 50% discount. If it were me I'd thank them and accept that, then negotiate further for reimbursement of the cost of the dentures.

I work for a multi-billion dollar company so I know the drill. RCI undoubtedly has a large SIR but telling it you are making a claim sends the message you are serious and more importantly, starts in motion a formal claims process unless it very quickly resolves the complaint. I never said you shouldn't then negotiate with RCI - in fact that is the whole point of making a claim with a specified resolution which would be acceptable.

They definitely were not in a denture cup in the medicine cabinet!

Do we really expect the Stewards to shake out each towel, facecloth, tissue and paper towel while cleaning each and every cabin to make sure no one has put their dentures someplace other than where they should be ?

Accidents happen. Stuff is lost. Life goes on, but sometimes we have to accept responsibility for our own actions. Indeed if the dentures were in the denture cup in the medicine cabinet, they wouldn't have been lost.

I can certainly empathize with the OP, but I echo the sentiments of others on here about the placement of the dentures. Point blank, OP: were they in a container or not? If they were wrapped in tissues or toilet paper a stateroom attendant isn't going to know to open them up to see what's inside. They'll toss them in the garbage. Unless you're a nurse, CNA, or personal caregiver, it would not even OCCUR to them to open up tissues because that's disgusting. I'm not saying this to be mean, but unless they were in a container or otherwise in plain sight, it's hardly the attendant's fault. I know dentures are expensive, but this is why you have to take care of them.