Goodbye to Free Burgers and Mast Grill ???

chamima

Me. Along with plenty of other people.

Alas, my bad.

Keep forgetting about conspicuous consumption.

I've worn a watch for over sixty years. Nothing to do with "conspicuous consumption" and everything to do with knowing the time.

That's an assumption on your part. A watch is a functional piece of jewelry, not just a status symbol. Contrary to what technology might say, people still use watches to tell the time.
How right you are, as I don't think the cheap watches I purchase to take on my vacations in any way shape or form enhance my prestige, probably just the opposite!

How right you are, as I don't think the cheap watches I purchase to take on my vacations in any way shape or form enhance my prestige, probably just the opposite!

Exactly. I'd rather have a $20 Casio watch that I don't care if it gets covered in sand and salt water

LOL!!!!! What do watches have to do with 'Goodbye to Free Burgers and Mast Grill???'

A comparison was made between a for-fee burger place and shops on the ship that were thought to be unnecessary.

We took our kids out for lunch yesterday at a nice restaurant. We paid $11 for a burger and it came with fries and a micro brew. Better than the one in the Lawn Club. We don't mind paying a little extra for quality.

Was that on top of another lunch that you'd already bought for everyone? ;)

It's so nice of you to worry about how I spend my money. The least of my worries is finances because I spend on things I see value in and not just the cost. Life would be a lot easier if everybody worried about their spending habits than those of complete stranger.

We took our kids out for lunch yesterday at a nice restaurant. We paid $11 for a burger and it came with fries and a micro brew. Better than the one in the Lawn Club. We don't mind paying a little extra for quality.

Am wondering if you paid a $100 admission fee to get in that nice restaurant? Consider that you already paid to be on a ship...and now you are willing to pay more for quality? How about another $10 a day for a nicer towel or perhaps $40 a day to use the hot tubs? We used to expect quality on our cruises....without paying extra.

Hank

It's so nice of you to worry about how I spend my money. The least of my worries is finances because I spend on things I see value in and not just the cost. Life would be a lot easier if everybody worried about their spending habits than those of complete stranger.

As I'm sure you already know, it's not about how you spend your money or if you worry about it. It's about comparing apples to apples when comparing on land pricing to at sea, food included, pricing. Life would be a lot easier for you if you don't worry about or read things into nameless, faceless internet posts.:cool:

Isn't that the beauty of cruising. If you don't want to pay extra for your food, it is included, but for those that have no issues dining in the specialty restaurants, they have that option.

To me there are two issues, that are not directly related.

Issue 1: Reducing the availability of the burgers/dogs/fries. [Even if they are available in the Oceanview, that requires different clothing so it won't be as available as it was on my last cruise]

Issue 2: Paying for food on a cruise.

I would have zero complaint if they, in addition to their existing offerings, ADDED a for-fee luxe burger with great toppings and hand-made bun, etc. Those who see value in it (whether it is differential value or absolute value) can enjoy that extra luxury without negatively impacting those who enjoyed the casual, pool-attire environment they [OK, I] have enjoyed on many previous cruises.

I am quite peeved with the continued Spirit-airline approach [read: a fee for anything you actually want to do] that Celebrity seems to have taken over the last few years.

To @grandgeezer's point, what he feels comfortable spending his own money on is his business (if you're a she, my apologies for the gender assumption). Whether he has an included meal at his Vegas hotel buffet, but decides to spend $75/pp on a steakhouse is his business. I may not feel it is worth my money and make a different decision. That is my business.

Partial quote from Killsport...above

"Issue 1: Reducing the availability of the burgers/dogs/fries. [Even if they are available in the Oceanview, that requires different clothing so it won't be as available as it was on my last cruise"

Not to mention possibly losing your lounger if it takes too long to get the no extra charge burger, fries, etc and bring them back to the pool area...

Isn't that the beauty of cruising. If you don't want to pay extra for your food, it is included, but for those that have no issues dining in the specialty restaurants, they have that option.

Pay extra for specialty restaurants? Sure, I can see some value in that. I've done it myself.

Pay extra for a hotdog or burger? Nope, that's just gouging, especially if you still can get it in your swimwear and/or you have to line up cafeteria style.

One of the beauties of cruising used to be that you could always get great food that was included in the price you paid. Not so much anymore with specialty restaurants that are an upcharge plus specialty orders within the specialty restaurants that are an additional upcharge. Now specialty hotdogs and hamburgers! :o

It's these kinds of upcharges coupled with the service reductions that caused us not to cruise this year and take an all inclusive vacation instead. 2 weeks at that all inclusive on the beach were less than a one week OV cruise. We didn't have to pay upcharges for the restaurants on the property, let alone for a burger or hotdog and we had a bunch of choices off property when we wanted to go to a really fancy restaurant.

Pay extra for specialty restaurants? Sure, I can see some value in that. I've done it myself.

Pay extra for a hotdog or burger? Nope, that's just gouging, especially if you still can get it in your swimwear and/or you have to line up cafeteria style.

One of the beauties of cruising used to be that you could always get great food that was included in the price you paid. Not so much anymore with specialty restaurants that are an upcharge plus specialty orders within the specialty restaurants that are an additional upcharge. Now specialty hotdogs and hamburgers! :o

It's these kinds of upcharges coupled with the service reductions that caused us not to cruise this year and take an all inclusive vacation instead. 2 weeks at that all inclusive on the beach were less than a one week OV cruise. We didn't have to pay upcharges for the restaurants on the property, let alone for a burger or hotdog and we had a bunch of choices off property when we wanted to go to a really fancy restaurant.

I don't believe anyone would be forcing you to pay extra for a hamburger or hot dog, as they will be available in the buffet area at no charge.

Maybe it was just on my cruises, but there is usually a line getting burgers at the Mast Grill. As far as not being able to go in your swimwear, I don't find it that hard to slip one's shoes on and put on a cover-up, but that is me, sorry if that would bother you.

Hope you enjoy your AI beach resort, for me that would be a nightmare, but that is what so great about traveling, there is always something for everyone.

Maybe it was just on my cruises, but there is usually a line getting burgers at the Mast Grill.

They find something people like then start charging. Room service will be next - people like it. That was the excuse on RCCL - they said that it was so popular they were going to charge.... Great logic

They find something people like then start charging. Room service will be next - people like it. That was the excuse on RCCL - they said that it was so popular they were going to charge.... Great logic
I understand that is how it is in some instances, but the way I look at it, it is their ship thus their rules and if I don't agree with them, I'll find another place to spend my vacation dollars, but changing the location as to where I can get a free burger isn't that big of a deal to me.

I do agree with you that they will probably follow Royal Caribbean and start charging for room service, except for the continental breakfast. They said it was to cut down the high demand and that did work on NCL, who has been charging the $7.95 for some time, it also cut down on wasted food and trays in the hallways.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I don't believe anyone would be forcing you to pay extra for a hamburger or hot dog, as they will be available in the buffet area at no charge.

Maybe it was just on my cruises, but there is usually a line getting burgers at the Mast Grill. As far as not being able to go in your swimwear, I don't find it that hard to slip one's shoes on and put on a cover-up, but that is me, sorry if that would bother you.

Hope you enjoy your AI beach resort, for me that would be a nightmare, but that is what so great about traveling, there is always something for everyone.

Have you seen the burgers in the buffet area? They're nasty. They are cooked en mass on a flat top, then dumped into a metal container, where they sit in a warming tray in grease, drying out, until someone picks them up. The one's at the mast grill are far superior, especially if you ask them to cook you one 'fresh' (I know they are frozen), so you get a hot one that's not been sitting around.

As for going to the buffet in the first place. My swimsuit is usually wet, so I'm not about to sit on the chairs in the buffet. I'd have to put on a shirt and shoes and leave my premium placed lounger unguarded. It's way easier to simply walk upstairs, get a couple of plates of food and bring them back to my lounger. That's why there is almost always a lineup for the Mast Grill on sea days, which I don't mind BTW as it's included. IMO, Celebrity saw the lines and figured a way to monetize them. Good business? Only if folks are willing to start paying for burgers and hotdogs. If not, they just reduced the lines and the customer experience.

I'm interested why an AI beach resort would be a nightmare for you. Excellent staff (We'd never been better taken care of even on X) Easier check in/out. Less people. Way more space. Big pools. No chair hogs. Don't have to go through a yard sale to get to the entertainment. Don't have to wait in long lineups to go on excursions. It doesn't matter if your excursions go long and you don't have to pay the cruise lines upcharges. Don't have to pay extra for a beach day. Buffet, sit down restaurants, lots of bars and drinks all included. (I'll happily admit that there are more items on the cruise buffet and that the specialty restaurants on board are better than the AI's.) All this for less than half the price of an OV. The only downsides for us were not getting to go to a new place most days and being on the water.

Have you seen the burgers in the buffet area? They're nasty. They are cooked en mass on a flat top, then dumped into a metal container, where they sit in a warming tray in grease, drying out, until someone picks them up. The one's at the mast grill are far superior, especially if you ask them to cook you one 'fresh' (I know they are frozen), so you get a hot one that's not been sitting around. Hopefully, they will change how they are cooked to be more like they did at the Mast Grill. If not, I'm sure there will be folks with issues.

As for going to the buffet in the first place. My swimsuit is usually wet, so I'm not about to sit on the chairs in the buffet. I'd have to put on a shirt and shoes and leave my premium placed lounger unguarded. It's way easier to simply walk upstairs, get a couple of plates of food and bring them back to my lounger. That's why there is almost always a lineup for the Mast Grill on sea days, which I don't mind BTW as it's included. IMO, Celebrity saw the lines and figured a way to monetize them. Good business? Only if folks are willing to start paying for burgers and hotdogs. If not, they just reduced the lines and the customer experience. Why do you have to sit in the buffet anyway? Wouldn't it be just as easy to walk the food back to your lounder? As far as your lounger, why not do what I do; I simply ask the person next to me if they would watch my chair while I go get something from the buffet and, you know what, no one has ever said no and I've never lost a lounger. The new for a fee venue will either work or it won't, but since they are doing it, I guess we will have to wait and see. As I've said, I won't be paying for a burger or hot dog.

I'm interested why an AI beach resort would be a nightmare for you. Excellent staff (We'd never been better taken care of even on X) Easier check in/out. Less people. Way more space. Big pools. No chair hogs. Don't have to go through a yard sale to get to the entertainment. Don't have to wait in long lineups to go on excursions. It doesn't matter if your excursions go long and you don't have to pay the cruise lines upcharges. Don't have to pay extra for a beach day. Buffet, sit down restaurants, lots of bars and drinks all included. (I'll happily admit that there are more items on the cruise buffet and that the specialty restaurants on board are better than the AI's.) All this for less than half the price of an OV. The only downsides for us were not getting to go to a new place most days and being on the water.

I don't particularly like AI resorts; I've been to a couple and I found them not to be my cup of tea, as I was bored being at the same location day in and day out and I'm not a big sun person. I wouldn't stay at an AI land resort to save money, I'd rather go on a cruise, go on a road trip, go to Las Vegas, then being stuck at a resort, where it is the same thing every day. I have friends who love AI resorts (and obviously you do as well) and I have friends who hate cruising; it ends up being what one likes and how they want to spend their vacation dollars.