Goodbye to Free Burgers and Mast Grill ???

chamima

I too would give her some slack, but it would be good for Celebrity to clarify.

We too have done more land based trips the last 3-4 years and will so going forward at this point. I do love to cruise and think Celebrity plus Royal excellent cruise lines when compared to others. We too are low maintenance cruisers. I just do not like the trend of additional fees for so many things while dumbing down the included in fare things, IMHO. Even the drinks package has been done in a fashion whereby individual drink prices have increased to then justify/promote the packages.

:oa

I was also just quoting Lisa Lutoff-Perlo in my post.

We've never been on the Connie so I wasn't aware of the differences but it's pretty embarrassing if LL-P doesn't know her own ships!

she don't know "ship"...

This is the Pool Grill on Constellation's deck 13. It is going to need a lot of work to look like premium dining venue.

con-8682.JPG

...and hopefully it will look this busy all the time when the rebranding is complete. :rolleyes:(n)

It is going to need a lot of work to look like premium dining venue.

It really doesn't matter to me what the new joint will look like. I would be more concerned that they hire someone who knows hot to cook properly. On my last two cruises, between the crew cooking in the buffet and the kitchens, it looks like they've hired a lot of people who can put out mass quantities of food but not care about quality or plating. It appeared to me that they believed food is food dumbed down to the most sensitively adverse stomachs.

It's been a long time since I was able to say, "WOW that was excellent", while dining on a Celebrity ship. The last time was on the Mercury even in the MDR.

It really doesn't matter to me what the new joint will look like. I would be more concerned that they hire someone who knows hot to cook properly. On my last two cruises, between the crew cooking in the buffet and the kitchens, it looks like they've hired a lot of people who can put out mass quantities of food but not care about quality or plating. It appeared to me that they believed food is food dumbed down to the most sensitively adverse stomachs.

Totally agree; quality of the ingredients and execution are vastly more important than the aesthetics of the venue. Plenty of unsightly hole-in-the-walls serving exquisite fare as well as gorgeous over-the-top venues serving glorified garbage. Aesthetics play a role in upscale/fine dining, not so much at a burger and dog venue.

Celebrity knows what they are doing. A few years ago, I had lunch in the Lawn Club Grill and the full menu was available for $25. Then it went to a limited menu for $25 as they pulled scallops, filet mignon, and some others. Now they are offering "gourmet" hamburgers for $15 there and people still come. As long as people continue to pay $15 for a burger on top of their cruise fare, this new concept is a no brainer and could be a winner.

I love it as a shareholder!

I know it is petty but I don't cruise to eat hamburgers, hot dogs and pizza., but that is not the whole issue. All the extra charges are getting out of hand. Yes they are in the business to make a profit but I would think if that was their objective they would serve hot dogs, hamburgers and fries as the main entrees in the MDR and have a upcharge for everything else.

The best way to protest is with your pocket book of that ever happens. Don't buy the burgers, hot dogs, and etc and consume the better stuff.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Celebrity knows what they are doing. A few years ago, I had lunch in the Lawn Club Grill and the full menu was available for $25. Then it went to a limited menu for $25 as they pulled scallops, filet mignon, and some others. Now they are offering "gourmet" hamburgers for $15 there and people still come. As long as people continue to pay $15 for a burger on top of their cruise fare, this new concept is a no brainer and could be a winner.

I love it as a shareholder!

Unfortunately, the evidence shows they do NOT know what they are doing.

Sushi on 5? Totally empty on the 44 days we have been on =X= ships in the last 5 months.

Specialty restaurants? If you don't get at least 40% discount (and we don't bite until it is half off) you are being foolish.

Devoting major real estate to shops for watches (who buys a watch in this day and age?) Empty.

Still some stupid money out there, I agree, but it never lasts forever. 2008 anyone?

A lot of people will buy those overprice burgers with OBC. The funniest thing is that many of the Celebrity consumers won't realize that the OBC isn't free but fare prices were increased a couple of years ago to force paid inclusion of the perks.

Same with the people willing to pay $45pp for the specialty restaurants on top of the already paid inclusive venues. Then they're upgraded to the additional charge menu items.

As a shareholder I really appreciate those cruisers. Regarding me being one of those cruisers...As they say... I was born at night, but not last night. :D

A lot of people will buy those overprice burgers with OBC. The funniest thing is that many of the Celebrity consumers won't realize that the OBC isn't free but fare prices were increased a couple of years ago to force paid inclusion of the perks.

We fell in love with cruising because it was special. The specialty restaurants were actually worth more than the $20pp they charged and drinks were reasonably priced (before the dreaded beverage packages came into existence). If I want to pay $13.00 for a drink and $15.00 for a hamburger I can stay home. Restaurants like Murano and Tuscan Grille are really not "special" and we have much better restaurants at home I can spend my $50 on. Qsine is fun and quirky, but once every other cruise is enough.

I guess we will continue to sail as long as we can book the lowest fare possible (usually a guarantee inside) using our Discover Cash Back bonus and then take advantage of our RCCL Shareholder OBC benefit. At least then it's still a pretty good value.

There are no tables at the Mast Bar on the Connie & Summit. There's a small walkway between the bar stools and the railing overlooking the pool. The Mast Bar on Eclipse & Equinox have tables like in the picture. That is if my memory is still holding up. I can't speak for the other ships but I have sailed these.

You are correct about the hamburger joints though.

I hadn't noticed that there are tables right in front of the bar not just out to the sides as on M class - I guess I just looked at the bar!

Unfortunately, the evidence shows they do NOT know what they are doing.

Sushi on 5? Totally empty on the 44 days we have been on =X= ships in the last 5 months.

Specialty restaurants? If you don't get at least 40% discount (and we don't bite until it is half off) you are being foolish.

Devoting major real estate to shops for watches (who buys a watch in this day and age?) Empty.

Still some stupid money out there, I agree, but it never lasts forever. 2008 anyone?

Went to Sushi on 5 for first (probably last) time on Silhouette TA this month. Got a 2 for 1 offer at the table at the buffet entrance. Except for some officers we were the only table there. We both thought the sushi that used to be put out at the buffet at 5:30P was better.

Restaurants like Murano and Tuscan Grille are really not "special" and we have much better restaurants at home I can spend my $50 on.

Totally agree with you. Getting rid of the "classic" restaurant (Ocean Liners, etc) just made the dining option less appealing. Tuscan Grill at 50$ is not worth it. The food is quite good but not willing to spend that much.

Totally agree with you. Getting rid of the "classic" restaurant (Ocean Liners, etc) just made the dining option less appealing. Tuscan Grill at 50$ is not worth it. The food is quite good but not willing to spend that much.

It's listed as $45. Do they tack on an 18% service charge to that? Celebrity certainly charges much more than Princess when it comes to specialty restaurants. It looks like they might make sense if you buy them in packages. It seems as if they try to charge close to land based prices for both steak house and high end burger joint. If this is a burger bar, that 18% service charge for take out seems outrageous in its own right.

It's listed as $45. Do they tack on an 18% service charge to that? Celebrity certainly charges much more than Princess when it comes to specialty restaurants. It looks like they might make sense if you buy them in packages. It seems as if they try to charge close to land based prices for both steak house and high end burger joint. If this is a burger bar, that 18% service charge for take out seems outrageous in its own right.

Tuscan Grill is $45. The gratuity is already included in the price. There is no add on fees unless you want to add an additional tip for service.

In a sense, you may have already paid for a specialty restaurant when you opt for a perk of OBC. You may think you are getting it free but dream on. You have paid for it in the cost of the cruise when you take those perks.

Alas, my bad.

Keep forgetting about conspicuous consumption.

That's an assumption on your part. A watch is a functional piece of jewelry, not just a status symbol. Contrary to what technology might say, people still use watches to tell the time.