50 or younger, this not be the cruise line for you

Baddabing

We have found with the new combined appetizer-soup course, we are always out of the MDR in about an hour now - in the late fixed dining option. 1. Appetizer or soup; 2. entree. 3 Dessert. If one wants both the appetizer and a the soup course, this will add additional time. And this could be a feature of the less impacted 8pm fixed dining setting as well. We also show up on time for our 8pm seating which gets us in the first service queue.

A few years ago, dinners did indeed take up to two hours but on our last several cruises we are typically out by 9pm - which means we no longer go to any of the main theater shows which start at 10pm. We are among those who retire early after a few after-dinner strolls around the ship.

We always have 'anytime' because we like to go in at different times different days, but we only ever have 3 courses. Hopefully it will be a bit quicker this cruise, the MDR experience was the main reason we haven't sailed HAL for a couple of years. I'm also hoping the food gets to the table hot this time!

We always have 'anytime' because we like to go in at different times different days, but we only ever have 3 courses. Hopefully it will be a bit quicker this cruise, the MDR experience was the main reason we haven't sailed HAL for a couple of years. I'm also hoping the food gets to the table hot this time!

We stuck with "fixed" dining again this cruise and our food arrived hot, service was prompt and we were usually out of the dining room in a timely manner. Hopefully, you will have the same experience in anytime.

For the OP, I started sailing HAL before I met DH when I was in my 30's. I loved it so much, I lured him on her after we met and we have sailed a multitude of lines - some now defunct along with NCL, Princess, Celebrity & Oceania. HAL still remains our line of choice.

I didn't feel out of place when I sailed the first time and enjoyed the seasoned cruisers' company. I still do. It's not how old you are, but how young you are at heart and what you want / expect from your cruise.

As others have said, Alaska in port intensive, lots to see and do, even nice scenery viewed from the ship. Age demographic will vary from cruise to cruise, in general, the longer the cruise the older the age. During school vacation times, you will often see families with children. There is some truth to limited entertainment after ten PM. Believe BBKings do some late shows.

Think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I'll add: Europe cruises are port intensive too. When we're getting up early everyday for an activity/tour, we're exhausted at night -- and we're NOT old. Every cruise line is going to be full of older passengers when school is in session. Last year on our Alaskan cruise, there were very few kids on board (first week of June). Our school happens to get out earlier than most. The staff told us they would be packed with kids the next sailing. My teens actually PREFER HAL. They hated Carnival because there were too many kids. They have enjoyed the attention they've gotten on HAL where the staff knows them by name. For some reason, and I really can't tell you why, my YOUNGER son (13 last year), belly-ached when we were on a Princess ship. He likes HAL and couldn't understand why we were on Princess.

I personally have found there are quirks that I like (and don't like) about each cruise line. But mostly notice less entertainment/activities on port intensive cruises.

Hopefully OP will post again with a response to all comments.

Wow, 50 replies in just one day! I guess the topic struck a nerve in some loyal HAL followers. However I was not stating my own cruise observations only what has been recently posted online here in the message boards. As I did first say: “First let me say we booked our cruise to see Alaska first and the on board activities second. Now after reading some reviews I have questioned our choice of cruise lines. The information below is from other reviewers not from us”. That was the beginning of my post.

Next I asked a question, “if we are in our mid 50s is Holland America to old a crowd for us”?

I then went on to QUOTE other loyal HAL passengers with their latest reviews. Please read all the latest posts from the passengers on the Eurodam’s current Alaska itinerary. They continually have emphasized the "recent lack of entertainment on board".

The post that bothered me the most and I thought would annoy more of you was the informative post showing the way the new cruise director on the Eurodam instructed the passengers "that we had to be back on board by 1230. She then says "it's the perfect time to come back...you all can have lunch then you'll have the whole afternoon to take a nap" That to me and the person writing the review should not have been announced. If you have not visited the threads here on CC please check out the reviews on the following threads they all end on a positive note: “inaugural sailing to Alaska on Eurodam was... different” http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2496761 “Eurodam to Alaska : We came , we saw , we photographed” http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2497409 “Is Eurodam to Alaska a new itinerary? Can't find any reviews here” http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2480016

I have never cruised on a HAL ship and have no actual knowledge as to what to expect on board our cruise at the end of the month. I do have great expectations and we are looking forward to a great Alaskan cruise.

From the 50 replies, I did get 11 members who I believe feel that the HAL itinerary is more laid back and I guess geared to an older less active lifestyle. But that is just their opinions not mine, please see below:;)

Cabinluvn - I guess if you want constant noise, zip lines, rock climbing, water slides, etc,an kids running around all day, HAL is not for you. If you want a more laid back cruising experience then give HAL a try. I hope there are people who are abit more accepting of aging than you seem to be

Alberta Quilter - I am also an early to bed, early to rise person so the lack of nightlife isn't as much of a concern to me.

OlsSalt - If you are young and expect to be entertained on board instead enjoying where you are going, this is not a cruise line for you There are plenty of other cruise lines to choose from - why not Carnival -much more high energy and appeals to younger passengers. That was our reaction when we saw all the "old people" on our first HAL cruise - you mean we still get to still sail when we get old? Yes, count me among those who dohave brand loyalty - but maybe that is because HAL prices and itineraries keeps winning us over every time we look for some place new to go.

Jhannah - Balderdash! Yes, Holland America attracts a more discriminating, well-traveled crowd. This usually equates to being older.

POA1 - If raucous night life is important to you,then choose Carnival or Royal.

Homosassa - If you need constant alcohol and blasting music to have a good time and fellow passengers who leave home and expect everything to still be like home, HAL is not for you.

Sequim88 - 60 is the new 40. He said he mostly cruised NCL because there was "so much todo." I think for him Carnival or NCL would be better and never HAL. We liked HAL last time for exactly the relaxing sophistication you won't find on other mainstream lines.

JVilleGal - May be the OP wants "Belly Flop" contests and Rock Climbing Walls

Tgeonetta - We enjoy having the ship mostly to ourselves after a certain hour.

Navybankerteacher - I have found that a number of the "old" folks on HAL have lived long enough to have experiences worth learning about. Having outgrown the need for non-stop external stimulation, I am able to enjoy the slower pace which seems to alienate some.

3rdGenCunarder - That's how I feel, too! Some people look at HAL as God's waiting room, but I see it as a hideout where we can look up and say "Nope, not goin' yet, God!"

Baddabing, thanks for posting again. I always like to see if an OP has appreciated the comments people take time to write and if it was helpful. I think the "loyal Hal followers" and those of us who cruise various cruise lines responded to your request for info with our honest opinions as also did the individuals you quote from other threads. I think what I read more than once is the comment that Alaska cruises have many passengers of all ages because of the time of year. Hopefully everyone's opinion is welcome and has been helpful to you. Have a great cruise whatever you decide to do. Cherie

So EXACTLY what was your purpose in posting? Confused ;)

You are not the only confused reader. OP posted only negative comments from others, with no first-hand knowledge, with the statement that "50 or younger, this not be the cruise line for you".

Whatever the purpose, the premise is wrong. It depends less on age and more on what a person is looking for in a cruise, or from a ship. There are people under age 50 who would be thrilled with the relaxing, quieter atmosphere that HAL provides.

There are also people over age 50 who would want something a whole lot livelier.

That's why cruise lines should never try to all be the same.

Wow, 50 replies in just one day! I guess the topic struck a nerve in some loyal HAL followers. However I was not stating my own cruise observations only what has been recently posted online here in the message boards. As I did first say: “First let me say we booked our cruise to see Alaska first and the on board activities second. Now after reading some reviews I have questioned our choice of cruise lines. The information below is from other reviewers not from us”. That was the beginning of my post.

Next I asked a question, “if we are in our mid 50s is Holland America to old a crowd for us”?

I then went on to QUOTE other loyal HAL passengers with their latest reviews. Please read all the latest posts from the passengers on the Eurodam’s current Alaska itinerary. They continually have emphasized the "recent lack of entertainment on board".

The post that bothered me the most and I thought would annoy more of you was the informative post showing the way the new cruise director on the Eurodam instructed the passengers "that we had to be back on board by 1230. She then says "it's the perfect time to come back...you all can have lunch then you'll have the whole afternoon to take a nap" That to me and the person writing the review should not have been announced. If you have not visited the threads here on CC please check out the reviews on the following threads they all end on a positive note: “inaugural sailing to Alaska on Eurodam was... different” http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2496761 “Eurodam to Alaska : We came , we saw , we photographed” http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2497409 “Is Eurodam to Alaska a new itinerary? Can't find any reviews here” http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2480016

I have never cruised on a HAL ship and have no actual knowledge as to what to expect on board our cruise at the end of the month. I do have great expectations and we are looking forward to a great Alaskan cruise.

From the 50 replies, I did get 11 members who I believe feel that the HAL itinerary is more laid back and I guess geared to an older less active lifestyle. But that is just their opinions not mine, please see below:;)

Cabinluvn - I guess if you want constant noise, zip lines, rock climbing, water slides, etc,an kids running around all day, HAL is not for you. If you want a more laid back cruising experience then give HAL a try. I hope there are people who are abit more accepting of aging than you seem to be

Alberta Quilter - I am also an early to bed, early to rise person so the lack of nightlife isn't as much of a concern to me.

OlsSalt - If you are young and expect to be entertained on board instead enjoying where you are going, this is not a cruise line for you There are plenty of other cruise lines to choose from - why not Carnival -much more high energy and appeals to younger passengers. That was our reaction when we saw all the "old people" on our first HAL cruise - you mean we still get to still sail when we get old? Yes, count me among those who dohave brand loyalty - but maybe that is because HAL prices and itineraries keeps winning us over every time we look for some place new to go.

Jhannah - Balderdash! Yes, Holland America attracts a more discriminating, well-traveled crowd. This usually equates to being older.

POA1 - If raucous night life is important to you,then choose Carnival or Royal.

Homosassa - If you need constant alcohol and blasting music to have a good time and fellow passengers who leave home and expect everything to still be like home, HAL is not for you.

Sequim88 - 60 is the new 40. He said he mostly cruised NCL because there was "so much todo." I think for him Carnival or NCL would be better and never HAL. We liked HAL last time for exactly the relaxing sophistication you won't find on other mainstream lines.

JVilleGal - May be the OP wants "Belly Flop" contests and Rock Climbing Walls

Tgeonetta - We enjoy having the ship mostly to ourselves after a certain hour.

Navybankerteacher - I have found that a number of the "old" folks on HAL have lived long enough to have experiences worth learning about. Having outgrown the need for non-stop external stimulation, I am able to enjoy the slower pace which seems to alienate some.

3rdGenCunarder - That's how I feel, too! Some people look at HAL as God's waiting room, but I see it as a hideout where we can look up and say "Nope, not goin' yet, God!"

I am a bit confused by your reply.

You asked, we answered.

Yet, you quote the same review that you did in the first post??

Take all reviews with a grain of salt. I do. It's not hard to identify those that are unfounded with constant complaints and those that are objective.

As to the posters, if you read all the posts including POA1's you would have seen that he said that at 8 pm a lot of people are at dinner. Picking and choosing quotes proves nothing IMO.

You've booked. You're going to the Great Land. Just enjoy and don't fret now. It's a done deal ;)

And you will be plenty busy enjoying Alaska, at least I hope so.

I am pretty sure that what I got from this post wasn't what the OP intended: I'm 42 and about to take my first HAL cruise. Traveling solo. Picked HAL when I listed out the times in port for a Baltic cruise and they had the best times and overnights (wishing I hadn't booked before final payment, but that's a totally different issue)--

Anyway, point is this--- a few times gotten a bit nervous about the age thing- but this post reminded me about why I picked HAL-- it's not for the nightlife (and yes, sometimes I do cruise for that)-- I have a 12 day cruise with mostly port days (including six port days in a row)-- after which I'm spending 19 days in Europe. This reminded me about my intent- and I'm determined to have a great time and enjoy both my time in port and some relaxation when I'm on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am pretty sure that what I got from this post wasn't what the OP intended: I'm 42 and about to take my first HAL cruise. Traveling solo. Picked HAL when I listed out the times in port for a Baltic cruise and they had the best times and overnights (wishing I hadn't booked before final payment, but that's a totally different issue)--

Anyway, point is this--- a few times gotten a bit nervous about the age thing- but this post reminded me about why I picked HAL-- it's not for the nightlife (and yes, sometimes I do cruise for that)-- I have a 12 day cruise with mostly port days (including six port days in a row)-- after which I'm spending 19 days in Europe. This reminded me about my intent- and I'm determined to have a great time and enjoy both my time in port and some relaxation when I'm on board.

Amen to that! I find myself being so loyal to HAL for a plethora or reasons. But everyone has their own reasons for posting on cruising, happiness, sadness, the feeling to argue, the feeling to agree, the need to disagree and i find all of those things truly human. I just know that i need my vitamin Sea, and if you are with me, great, if you are against me, we can always switch tables (in the MDR) and find someone more like minded. We tend to meet out best pals on embarkation, at breakfast and on shore, and tend to connect again and again with those folks. It is hard to rain on our parade. I am waterproof and have many jackets. Have a good evening everyone. Peace out.

I'm sailing on the Noordam Sydney to Auckland in February; it's my first cruise on HAL after 20 some cruises of every kind and every other kind of vacation from a trip hitchhiking and hopping freights to a stay at the then best hotel in the world (allegedly). I'm looking forward to the trip whether Noordam is a 3, 3.5 or whatever; we had a great cruise on Costa in 1984 and I'm expecting no less from HAL. Even the negatives can be a plus when shared or if they give you a good story to share.

Edited by sandbag7
inaccurate post

I'm sailing on the Noordam Sydney to Auckland in February; it's my first cruise on HAL after 20 some cruises of every kind and every other kind of vacation from a trip hitchhiking and hopping freights to a stay at the then best hotel in the world (allegedly). I'm looking forward to the trip whether Noordam is a 3, 3.5 or whatever; we had a great cruise on Costa in 1984 and I'm expecting no less from HAL. Even the negatives can be a plus when shared or if they give you a good story to share.

You picked by all reports a very lovely ship for your first HAL ship.

We share a fairly similar travel history - though you got me on "hopping freights" unless you can call jumping up to the Trans-Siberian train door as it was just starting to pull out of the station (?) somewhere in the remote wasteland of Siberia, which just happened to be probably at least 4 feet off the ground - no step stool provided naturally.

My guess is you are going to have a very wonderful time on the Noordam.

I don't understand why younger people seem to regard being around older people with horror. Old age happens to everyone if they live long enough.

I find I still feel the same way inside that I did when I was young. It's just that the body doesn't cooperate as well anymore. It's rather hurtful to read that younger people don't want to be around us simply because we committed the sin of aging.

I don't understand why younger people seem to regard being around older people with horror. Old age happens to everyone if they live long enough.

I find I still feel the same way inside that I did when I was young. It's just that the body doesn't cooperate as well anymore. It's rather hurtful to read that younger people don't want to be around us simply because we committed the sin of aging.

Trust me, 'younger people' typically do not feel this way. I am 54 and this cruise line is certainly for me.

Edited by tuolumne couple
tried to tone down my comment

I am 30, love HAL (perfect match for me an introvert who is sensitive to light, sound, crowds, and visual distractions) and I love socializing with experienced people (not older - experienced) as I find what they have to say far much more interesting than many of my age group peers!

First let me say we booked our cruise to see Alaska first and the on board activities second. Now after reading some reviews I have questioned our choice of cruise lines. The information below is from other reviewers not from us.

So if we are in our mid 50s is Holland America to old a crowd for us? Just looking at all the reviews it looks like the average age for a passenger on a Holland America cruise must be in their upper 70s to low 80s. If they are not in that age group the passengers may have health issues limiting their activities to get around. The reviewers on CC have said as far as entertainment there is little to none. Some have suggested to bring with you at least two good books. If I want to read a book I would not be choosing to go on a cruise to be reading, I m looking to be entertained. I have relatives in nursing homes that sit around and play bingo all day or for a sport they might try to play shuffleboard like in century village here in Fla. Passengers have been quoted as saying that these cruises are showing a lack of night life after 8PM. The following is a reviewers quote:" What we find lacking is the night life. It's worse now than 5 yrs ago. Last night by 8 pm there were a lot of empty lounges." Even the late night shows have been told to keep their acts geared to the elderly and not to be so risque. They were told to clean up their acts. There are numerous complaints about the lack of entertainment in the evening. For example it was said that if you are under 50 years old you may be understandably disappointed in all of the empty lounges at night.

Even the Holland America staff have admitted onstage that these cruises are similar to geriatric sailings. This one cruise director has instructed the passengers on a Eurodam sailing that after being in port tomorrow "that we had to be back on board by 1230. She then says "it's the perfect time to come back...you all can have lunch then you'll have the whole afternoon to take a nap"! I know that in many of the nursing homes here they do like to have their residents take naps. We want to have activities available when not in port, not to be told to take a nap. WOW..

Well will be cruising in a couple of weeks and plan to stay at the BBKing or Billboard until last call. We will let you know if this was a restful cruise or an active cruise.

Just off Eurodam. Cruise director (Stone was her name) was a dud and it was me who reported she suggested we all "take naps" after lunch. She was the least enthusiastic cruise director we've ever encountered. It was like not having a cruise director...not sure what HAL is thinking with this one.

Having said that...this particular cruise had a lot of younger families and couples...seniors were not the majority.

Entertainment was severely lacking, especially in the evening, but we went for the itinerary and to relax while cruising and that's what we did.

BB King was great...we went to every set but it does get repetitive. They have a limited set list and they do repeat the songs quite a bit. Not sure if HAL regulates what they can play but it seems like they do.

This was a restful cruise for us, which is what we wanted. We are 50 and 52 yrs old.

We started cruising with HAL when we were in our 40's and have always enjoyed HAL. We always find interesting people to talk and enjoy an adult beverage with! I'll take afternoon tea, adiago and the pinnacle bar in a classic ship anytime. I do miss the "classic" piano bar but i guess that's progress??

-----

Your post title made a definite statement. Perhaps you somehow missed that? If you put your question above as the post title, you'd have been fine. However, you made a statement: "50 or younger, this not be the cruise line for you." Then you built a case for your statement in your post.

If you were trying to find out if HAL was for you because you are in your mid 50s, you could have asked the question directly. You could have even mentioned that you read some reviews and you were concerned that HAL might not be up to whatever level of activity you are expecting.

That's not what you did.

Not. Even. Close.

Your post title made a definite statement. Perhaps you somehow missed that? If you put your question above as the post title, you'd have been fine. However, you made a statement: "50 or younger, this not be the cruise line for you." Then you built a case for your statement in your post.

If you were trying to find out if HAL was for you because you are in your mid 50s, you could have asked the question directly. You could have even mentioned that you read some reviews and you were concerned that HAL might not be up to whatever level of activity you are expecting.

That's not what you did.

Not. Even. Close.

Hold your calls folks. We have a winner!

That's not what you did.

Not. Even. Close.

Amen