does HAL have wedge pillows/cushions for use/rent for a post surgery patient

creel5857

Is there anyway you can obtain a wedge shaped pillow to use for someone who can not lie flat to avoid the "stuffing a lot of little pillows" around them situation? Or does anyone know of a specific store we can purchase an inflatable one to be used for travel? Usually we just use extra pillows but this time it needs to be a more level secure surface underneath. Thanks so much

I've heard that (at least on the Amsterdam), they have a wood wedge that can be put under the mattress. I've also heard that if they don't have one, they can make one for you. This is definitely something I would get in touch with them prior to the cruise about.

Failing that, what I've done (I'm a wedge sleeper) is to get extra pillows and arrange them UNDER the mattress. Has worked very well for me in the past once you get them situated. And, no need to redo every day since they are under the mattress.

Linda R.

I have to sleep with my knees elevated because of a back injury. I snitch two towels from the pool, fold them lengthwise and roll them tightly into one big roll. Then I take one of the bed pillows and drape it over the top so it's not so hard. It goes under my knees and lower legs and works perfectly for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I once had to rent a wedge cushion, like those massage therapists use, for my mother after eye surgery where she had to keep her face down for two weeks. It had a hole in it for one's face, for sleeping. If that's the type of cushion that you're looking for, perhaps you could rent one in your embarkation city? You could try contacting home care companies in the embarkation city to see if they know of a company from whom you could rent such a thing.

Of course, renting will only work if you're on a round trip cruise.

Good Luck!

Is there anyway you can obtain a wedge shaped pillow to use for someone who can not lie flat to avoid the "stuffing a lot of little pillows" around them situation? Or does anyone know of a specific store we can purchase an inflatable one to be used for travel? Usually we just use extra pillows but this time it needs to be a more level secure surface underneath. Thanks so much

Wish you well on your recovery.

I too need to sleep with a wedge. It never occurred to me to see if the ship had some to be rented or borrowed. I now have an inflatable wedge, bought from Amazon but find it very difficult to inflate. A couple of times I've either used all the pillows no one else in the cabin needs or my luggage. Not soft but gives me the height I need. As my next cruise (Sept) is 3 weeks I'll bring the inflatable and get help with it from a friend. They are nice to carry with you.

Matress Genie has been making inflatable wedge pillows for years. We always pack one for my husband to put under the top of the mattress.

I elevate the head of my bed on all cruises with a life preserver jacket. Gives me just the right amount of increase: about 5 inches.

Also, if there is a Bed Bath and Beyond near the dock, you might want to Uber over to it before boarding and buy a foam wedge pillow for about $30.

I agree that putting "whatever" under the mattress works best. Also, a pillow under the mattress topper and bottom sheet can give the knees a lift. My husband does this, also.

When I booked our cruise (for this summer) on-line with a travel agent, I was asked if I wanted a "bed wedge." It shows up on my reservation form.

Was this on HAL and was it in your room when you got there? Or haven't you sailed yet?

Was this on HAL and was it in your room when you got there? Or haven't you sailed yet?

Just left a message with access and compliance (not open on weekends) to inquire if they could supply a wedge pillow. I will let you know what I hear.

We are sailing on the Amsterdam in July. IIRC, we can't name travel agencies here, but I booked the cruise through a large TA. I booked on-line and the wedge came up as question just like dining time, etc. I have called the TA a few times with questions and each time I call they go over everything I have listed and each time they confirm my request. Will be interesting to see if I get it!

We are sailing on the Amsterdam in July. IIRC, we can't name travel agencies here, but I booked the cruise through a large TA. I booked on-line and the wedge came up as question just like dining time, etc. I have called the TA a few times with questions and each time I call they go over everything I have listed and each time they confirm my request. Will be interesting to see if I get it!

I am sailing in June, so I guess I will find out first. :)

But then all ships can have different setups about these things Hope we are both lucky!

Just left a message with access and compliance (not open on weekends) to inquire if they could supply a wedge pillow. I will let you know what I hear.

Cool....just called Access and Compliance and they added a wedge pillow to be in our room. They come in three heights.... 16 cm (6.2 in.)....20 cm (7.8 in.) .....26 cm (10 in.). I chose both a 26 cm and 16 cm because that might be what is needed to get the proper angle.

The number to call is 800-547-8493. Very easy. Have your booking number ready. I didn't need to go through my TA.

Also, if there is a Bed Bath and Beyond near the dock, you might want to Uber over to it before boarding and buy a foam wedge pillow for about $30.

I bought one there after my rotator cuff and labrum surgery this past December - it was a life saver for me

Sent from my iPhone using Forums