255% single supplements!

lizinindy

I thought this was interesting. If a solo reserved the 6/27 cruise in Concierge Class on the Celebrity website today, the cost would be $5,398, which includes the 200% single supplement. If someone reserved the same cruise under the Tuesday specials, also in a Concierge Class but a guarantee, it would cost them $6,627, with the 255% single supplement. I'll check on Tuesday to see if the 255% single supplement is on the website as well.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Last page when I pull up Celebrity Cruises Tuesday Specials.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Exciting_Deals/XcitingDeals_cel_tues.pdf

In pricing one of the cruises (Summit 6/27) directly on the website, it is still 200% when I pick a particular cabin, so I'm guessing that the Tuesday Special is 255%, for some odd reason, when you get a guaranteed cabin under the special it is 255% - looks like they don't feel solo travelers should get the same good deal as others. When the last specials came up, I did price one of those that showed 225%, but when I priced it picking a cabin, it was around 210%, which would still be unacceptable to me.

200% ok, over 200% no way! I'll be looking closer at the pricing of the cruises I book from now on and only book those that are 200%.

Deleted

Lol! Or perhaps the OP is quoting "fake news".

Seriously, I am not a single cruiser, but feel for those who are. It is hard to defend that supplement. It seems like every week here there is a peport of something Celebrity is doing to aleinate their guests. They keep falling further and further down on our list of lines to consider when we book. Thwy used to be number one on it.

Hi Rich:)...me too.......I never looked at anything else.......not so much these days. My next cruise is stepping up to

luxury on Silverseas......I am psyched:D

Hi Rich:)...me too.......I never looked at anything else.......not so much these days. My next cruise is stepping up to

luxury on Silverseas......I am psyched:D

Let us know what you think of Silverseas. I have friends that love the line, but would like to know how another solo likes it.

The cabin's price is based on DOUBLE OCCUPANCY. So, whatever the "per person" price shows..double it for a solo....the cabin's price is DOUBLE the solo price. An extra 55% is odd...but I guess they are trying to get back what the other person in a double cabin would spend. They will NOT lose money on any cruise.

The cabin's price is based on DOUBLE OCCUPANCY. So, whatever the "per person" price shows..double it for a solo....the cabin's price is DOUBLE the solo price. An extra 55% is odd...but I guess they are trying to get back what the other person in a double cabin would spend. They will NOT lose money on any cruise.
Since no other line, to my knowledge, goes over 200%, I've got to wonder who at Celebrity thinks this is a good moved, not only from a business perspective, but from a PR perspective. If you look at the Tuesday Specials, they want a solo to pay $1,400 more than what a couple would pay on one cruise in a Concierge Cabin. I know I will be doing more research, instead of just calling my TA with the dates I want to sail, because 200% is okay, over 200% no way.

I have never cruised solo and I'm not up on the pricing. However, I am not surprised that there is a 200+% charge for solo cruisers (in a double cabin). The average person spends much more than their cruise fare. There are the typical add-ons, on board spending and gratuities etc. Therefore if the cruise line only charges double the fare, they are still losing on all the add-ons from the second passenger. The food savings pales in comparison. So I am not surprised at all if it were over 200%.

Seems hard for many to grasp.

I have every reason to believe that a ship sailing at normal capacity pretty much breaks even. The profit is from on ship spending.

If you peruse ship financial statements food costs about $10 pp pd.

And if you do the sums that isn't surprising does your family spend more than $10 per adult on food, not the other stuff just food, that's $140 p.w. for two adults. And they get a better price than you do.

Seems hard for many to grasp.

I have every reason to believe that a ship sailing at normal capacity pretty much breaks even. The profit is from on ship spending.

If you peruse ship financial statements food costs about $10 pp pd.

And if you do the sums that isn't surprising does your family spend more than $10 per adult on food, not the other stuff just food, that's $140 p.w. for two adults. And they get a better price than you do.

RCL's most recent quarter indicated that on board spending comprises about 29% of their cruise lines total revenue, with 71% coming from fares. Their most recent quarter profit margin was 10.7%. So on board revenue was about 3 times their net profit.

Also note that occupancy in that quarter was 107.3% of two person per cabin capacity, up from 105.1% the same quarter previous year. So the cruise lines a number of 3-4 per cabin bookings as well as the on board spend per person.

Bottom line is RCL is getting bookings and filling the ships on their cruise lines. Solo bookings are not economically advantages for the cruise line, except for times when they have a lot of 3 and 4 per cabin bookings or when the alternative is a totally empty cabin. Looking at those numbers I expect Celebrity will continue to discourage solo bookings on some routes.

Part of the reason you are seeing this on Celebrity and not RCCL is because RCCL gets more families and the solo bookings get offset by 3-4 family bookings. Would be interesting to see (but no way to get it) would be the actually occupancy percentage on Celebrity. I would expect it to be greater than 100 but considerably less the the 107 reported for all of RCL. Probably more in the 102-103 range.

From a financial perspective, I guess Celebrity is moving towards adding "singles class" where singles buy a bunk in shared living quarters....which should, of course, increase on-board revenue. As part of their captain's club, they will start to track everyone's on-board spending, and if you don't exceed $300 pp on a 7 day, $400 on a 10 day, or $500 on a 2 week cruise, you will be deemed a single for your next cruise and have to pay the supplement or book "singles class"..

(oh now I've done it....they'll read this and get ideas).

From a financial perspective, I guess Celebrity is moving towards adding "singles class" where singles buy a bunk in shared living quarters....which should, of course, increase on-board revenue. As part of their captain's club, they will start to track everyone's on-board spending, and if you don't exceed $300 pp on a 7 day, $400 on a 10 day, or $500 on a 2 week cruise, you will be deemed a single for your next cruise and have to pay the supplement or book "singles class"..

(oh now I've done it....they'll read this and get ideas).

Easier and probably in lot of markets less legally difficult (namely adding a hidden compulsory surcharge that is customer specific)) would be to charge everyone the 200-250% single fee and and then offer an individually negotiated discount, based on previous on board spend, tracked through Captain's Club.

Can you book 2 people and then just have one no show?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posters are suggesting that, but you have to wonder, if a lot of solos do that (especially if they have always cruised solo), will Celebrity figure it out and charge everyone extra at the pier if someone doesn't show.

I sent an email Ms Lutoff-Perlo and here was the response I got today.

Thank you for contacting Celebrity Cruises. Ms. Lutoff-Perlo asked that I review your concern, and respond on her behalf.

We contacted the Marketing and Revenue departments, and it was confirmed the amount of 255% was a mistake. They will be correcting it immediately. It should read 200% like the other pages. We sincerely apologize for sending out the incorrect information, and are grateful you have brought this to our attention.

If you would like to further discuss, please feel free to contact me via email, or if you prefer to speak on the phone, I am in the office Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM EST.

I did respond back asking if Celebrity would every being charging more than 200% single supplement and am waiting an answer.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I think it is a little too much. On two land base trips one 14 days to South Africa the single supplement was only $400 and one 14 days to Greece was only $450. I know you cannot easily compare cruises to land base travel, but The cruise lines need to rethink single travel.

I sent an email Ms Lutoff-Perlo and here was the response I got today.

Thank you for contacting Celebrity Cruises. Ms. Lutoff-Perlo asked that I review your concern, and respond on her behalf.

We contacted the Marketing and Revenue departments, and it was confirmed the amount of 255% was a mistake. They will be correcting it immediately. It should read 200% like the other pages. We sincerely apologize for sending out the incorrect information, and are grateful you have brought this to our attention.

If you would like to further discuss, please feel free to contact me via email, or if you prefer to speak on the phone, I am in the office Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM EST.

I did respond back asking if Celebrity would every being charging more than 200% single supplement and am waiting an answer.

Well it will be interesting to see what shows up on next week's unexciting "Exciting Deals."

Well it will be interesting to see what shows up on next week's unexciting "Exciting Deals."
Yes, it will be interesting!!

I also emailed back showing where I priced this cruise on the web: I priced the July 7th 9 night Bermuda & New England cruise on the Summit.

2 in a cabin: $2,938

1 in a cabin: $3,249

Which is not 225%, but over 200%.

And then I asked this: I guess I should just ask the question directly. Is Celebrity, at any time, going to be charging over 200% for the single supplement?

I haven't gotten a response back.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I think it is a little too much. On two land base trips one 14 days to South Africa the single supplement was only $400 and one 14 days to Greece was only $450. I know you cannot easily compare cruises to land base travel, but The cruise lines need to rethink single travel.

Totally different economics. The only increased cost for a single is the hotel cost. The land tour company does not lose the opportunity for revenue because they can sell another single. Most land tour costs are variable by individual, most cruise line costs are fixed. Cruise lines are limited by number of cabins, land tour companies are usually only limited by bus seats. Makes no difference to them if they are single or couples. Only increased cost per person is hotel space, where they can usually get more rooms if they have a few more singles.

If they simply priced the cabin as "double occupancy" without a per person rate and skipped the entire "per person" nonsense, like hotels do, they'd have many fewer PR issues. My room at a hotel costs the same whether I'm traveling solo or as a couple; they don't call it a "single supplement."

I think cruise lines are missing an opportunity here.

I'd be interested in cruising solo, but the supplement 200% is completely off putting. 255% is out of the question. As a result, I only cruise when I my schedule lines up with my BFF. This works out well typically, but cruise lines are definitely losing out on additional sailings I'd be happy to enjoy.

I know some lines are embracing solos a bit more now - it would be great to see more reasonable options for solos. If that happened, I'd be thrilled to cruise several times each year.

I have just finished a solo cruise on Celebrity and honestly, they are not friendly to solo travelers. On the other hand, I have cruised solo on Princess on over 15 cruises and they have meet and chat for singles/solos, and the price for the cabin is a little less than 200% for a solo. So I'll be back with sailing on Princess. I suggest other solo cruisers should check it out, IMHO. Happy cruising at a reasonable price.

I have just finished a solo cruise on Celebrity and honestly, they are not friendly to solo travelers. On the other hand, I have cruised solo on Princess on over 15 cruises and they have meet and chat for singles/solos, and the price for the cabin is a little less than 200% for a solo. So I'll be back with sailing on Princess. I suggest other solo cruisers should check it out, IMHO. Happy cruising at a reasonable price.
Could you explain the differences between the two with regards to solo cruising (maybe a side by side comparison)?