specific question about panama canal (no answers on other board)

creel5857

I just saw on roll call for our panama canal trip in Dec that a passenger was looking forward to going through new canal locks but our travel agent thought it was the old canal locks. We are on Westerdam on Dec 8. I know that anything could occur and plans could change depending on traffic in canal but is there a way to know ahead which locks we might go through.....so disappointed as we thought we had great chance of going through old locks due to size of ship and the higher charge for Holland to go through new locks. Any help out there ??

I would bet that it still will be the old locks, but you might want to take a look at this thread:

Believe the Koningsdam is too large for the old locks..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2403876&highlight=panama+canal+locks

Have no idea how you would find this out, as we always believed that it depends upon the canal authorities to determine which lock would be used..

As discussed frequently on the Panama Canal board, if the ship fits in the old locks, there is probably a 98% chance you will use the old locks. The first reason would be the new locks cost more than the old locks.

Having been through the Canal on the Westerdam, I know she fits in the old locks.

I just saw on roll call for our panama canal trip in Dec that a passenger was looking forward to going through new canal locks but our travel agent thought it was the old canal locks. We are on Westerdam on Dec 8. I know that anything could occur and plans could change depending on traffic in canal but is there a way to know ahead which locks we might go through.....so disappointed as we thought we had great chance of going through old locks due to size of ship and the higher charge for Holland to go through new locks. Any help out there ??

We went thru in April on the Eurodam and used the old locks but you can see the new locks. Large tankers and Container vessels go thru the new locks. Possibly some cruise ships of the mega size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Believe the Koningsdam is too large for the old locks.
Yes, 9 feet too wide.

Possibly some cruise ships of the mega size.
I believe the Disney Wonder is the only one so far, a couple of weeks ago.

I thought I heard there was an NCL ship that went through the new locks as well but may be mistaken. I don't know what your itinerary is but you will only get brief glimpses of the new locks from the ends at either end of the canal as you enter and leave the canal. If you have a port call in either Panama City or Colon, see if HAL has a tour that visits the new lock visitor center.

I was just there and lucky enough to see 2 ships in the new locks but that's very rare. My impression is that it's much more interesting going through the new locks than the old but watching ships go through from the visitor center was very nice.

While going through the passage from the Miguel to Miraflores locks there's a hill on the starboard side. You cannot actually see the canal there (it is above you) but you can see ships (if any) going to or from Lake Gatun.

newlockchannel.jpg

Roy

I forget exactly what we were told, but it costs a lot more to go through the new locks, so it's unlikely a cruise ship that can go through the old ones would pay the extra amount.

We did the partial transit and there were two tours that went to the visitor center for the new locks (Agua Clara). Our tours left from Lake Gatun, but similar tours would likely be available if there was a stop at either end. Or maybe full transits offer tours from the lake?

Traffic doesn't seem to be as heavy through the new locks as the old ones. so the tour doesn't guarantee you'll see a ship in the locks while you're at the visitor center. I'm glad we did the tour. The new locks are very different from the old ones, more than just the size.

Unless your itinerary SPECIFIES that it is going through the new locks, you will be going through the old locks. This is especially true for a full passage through the canal like the one you will be doing.

The OP has now gotten an answer to his/her question over on the Panama Canal board from one of the leading Canal experts here on CC (that they are unlikely to go through the new locks), and I would trust that.

Having just made our first transit in January, I'm glad it was through the original locks. :)

If the ship fits the old lock system that is the one they will use. Although cost is a consideration the most important is the amount of fresh water used in the transfer. The object of the canal agency by far is conservation of fresh water used in any transfer. We have done 7 full transfers over the years and there is no 'bad way' to experience the panama canal. Enjoy.:D

If the ship fits the old lock system that is the one they will use. Although cost is a consideration the most important is the amount of fresh water used in the transfer. The object of the canal agency by far is conservation of fresh water used in any transfer. We have done 7 full transfers over the years and there is no 'bad way' to experience the panama canal. Enjoy.:D

The new locks have retention basins and recycle a large amount of the water. Without that, the extra flow would lower the level in Lake Gatun.

The new locks have retention basins and recycle a large amount of the water. Without that, the extra flow would lower the level in Lake Gatun.

Yes. Forgot about that. Ain't technology wonderful.:D

Things are not working as hoped in the technology department. They have not been able to use the water saving basins as hoped, particularly on the Pacific side. There has been higher than acceptable levels of saltwater intrusion. The last I heard they were not using them, the good news is the lake is on its way up after the Dry Season but still is low.