Asking for dining recommendations on the Eurodam Please

axelskater

We sail on the Seattle Alaska R/T in September and I was hoping for advice from seasoned HAL cruisers.

I requested "open seating" for dining, and the description said we just arrive whenever and request a table. Does anyone have an opinion either way whether this is better than pre-assigned dining, or which they have enjoyed more? We do not plan on eating there often.

I just booked online to go to Tamarind our 1st night, and "Sel De Mer" one night. Does anyone have recommendations on other alternatives, as the MDR is not high on my list more than once or twice. I noticed a salmon bake out on deck on the same itinerary when the ship is in Juneau. Are there opinions on Pinnacle Grill vs. Canaletto?

We always dress for dinner - suits and cocktail dresses every night on board, except maybe the last night. But I was curious as to whether formal or "gala" nights bring out tuxedos?

And finally - as this becomes an essay question :o - one person on another review said the Dive In was a great burger spot - that would be exciting if true! any opinions? I think most lunches we may try to

eat in the towns of Alaska...but I don't want to miss a good burger or hot dog opportunity :p

Thank you everyone. I guess if you all ever have Cunard or Disney questions, I can return the favor!

Just off Eurodam and we had open seating as well.

We booked specialty restaurants on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday and made a reservation the other nights for 7:30 in the MDR. We did this when we boarded and our table was waiting for us on those evenings.

I recommend making a reservation if you want a table for 2.

This is a casual dress cruise for the most part. On gala nights we saw all level of dress but tuxedos and gowns were very few.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We sail on the Seattle Alaska R/T in September and I was hoping for advice from seasoned HAL cruisers.

I requested "open seating" for dining, and the description said we just arrive whenever and request a table. Does anyone have an opinion either way whether this is better than pre-assigned dining, or which they have enjoyed more? We do not plan on eating there often.

I just booked online to go to Tamarind our 1st night, and "Sel De Mer" one night. Does anyone have recommendations on other alternatives, as the MDR is not high on my list more than once or twice. I noticed a salmon bake out on deck on the same itinerary when the ship is in Juneau. Are there opinions on Pinnacle Grill vs. Canaletto?

We always dress for dinner - suits and cocktail dresses every night on board, except maybe the last night. But I was curious as to whether formal or "gala" nights bring out tuxedos?

And finally - as this becomes an essay question :o - one person on another review said the Dive In was a great burger spot - that would be exciting if true! any opinions? I think most lunches we may try to

eat in the towns of Alaska...but I don't want to miss a good burger or hot dog opportunity :p

Thank you everyone. I guess if you all ever have Cunard or Disney questions, I can return the favor!

If you are not planning on using the MDR often, best you stick to your plan to use "As You Wish" dining instead of having a dedicated fixed dining table that you rarely use. Though they do know if you have reservations in other dining venue, to allocate your empty fixed dining table to others if there is a demand.

We find the Dive-In burgers and hot dogs and fries to be very good and they are always on our own list to enjoy more than once per cruise. Over our past recent cruises we have seen between 10-25% men in tuxes and women in long gowns, but most women dressed specially though less formally on gala nights. Men have mainly been coming in just about anything.

We continue to enjoy gown and tux ourselves even though these numbers have dwindled but we think the whole cruise atmosphere is special and a time to make it even more so for ourselves. Don't forget James Bond could wear black tie to breakfast and never missed a beat, because he enjoyed it and that is what counts.

Both Pinnacle and Cannaletto have been mixed in our experience, so go for the experience and see if you can find what you like somewhere on the menu. You forgot room service - this is always an option too since I love having their club sandwich and french onion soup at least once when we want some wind-down time.

There is also a pizza station on the aft Lido deck and they have some very nice prepared salads, desserts and a variety of pizza combos. And you can make a dinner out of the nacho-fajita bar in the Lido pool area - covered during your Alaska cruise so quite a nice and toasty place to do some early dining and "outdoor" viewing as another variety option.

Tamarind was our own favorite and well worth more than one reservation just to poke your way around the menu or indulge in any all sushi for dinner options like I did our last night on the Nieuw Amsterdam. We liked the variety of their menu, appetizers and desserts best of all.

Sounds like you are ready to have a very good time onboard. Wishing you the best, knowing you may be feasting on the scenery and the interesting port stops best of all and calorie-free all along the way.

If you only intend to eat in the MDR a couple of nights out of seven, I would stay with Open Seating. It gives you the flexibility you want, and frees up a fixed dining table for those who prefer fixed dining.

I like the Dive In; it's open all afternoon so you could try it for a late lunch after touring, if all other venues are closed or don't appeal to you at the time. I've never eaten at Canaletto so can't help with that. We do enjoy the Pinnacle Grill once a cruise; you could also try it for lunch when it's open for lunch. There really is no comparison between Pinnacle and Canaletto; the PG is like a steakhouse and Canaletto is Italian. It all depends on what you like.

My favourite place, though, is Tamarind which you've already booked. You might want to book a second night there. It's truly amazing.

I agree with the others who advised that if you don't plan to eat in the dining room most nights, then you should stick with open seating. It's just not fair to those who can't get a table in fixed seating to reserve one, then not use it most of the time.

I am fond of Pinnacle Grill, if you like a steak house, and tend to dine there about once a week.

The burgers at Dive In are fabulous! Such a huge improvement over what was served in the last incarnation of a burger bar that I eat too many of them over the course of a cruise.

I'm not fond of the coated fries, but they aren't bad. They are improved tremendously if you have the cheese sauce poured over them. Try asking for a serving of the frizzled onions instead of the fries. They are to die for (don't tell my cardiologist). ;p

In any case, have a great time in The Great Land.

We'll be on Eurodam the week of May 20-27. Sel de Mer makes its debut on that cruise, in the Pinnacle Grill on the evening after we depart from Sitka, May 24th. We'll be dining there that evening, and hope to be able to give a positive report, as the reviews from other ships have been very good.

Glad to read this as we are on the same cruise as axel - originally planned Pinnacle but changed to Tamarind. This post seems to confirm we made the right choice

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have to hit the Tamarind at least twice on any ship that has one in order to get both of my favorites: the wasabi-encrusted tenderloin and the lobster tail. The wasabi is not all that hot, but if you prefer you can have it served on the side or not at all. The meat you can "cut with a fork" (almost)!

As others have said, I would stay with open MDR dining. I do it anyway because I 1)rarely eat in the MDR and 2) do not want to be stuck with one time to eat IF I go to the MDR. Remember - there are more choices onboard outside of the MDR than nasty hamburgers, pizza, french fries!

As for attire - if you are comfortable sticking out by wearing cocktail attire and suits every night while the majority are Country Club Casual, especially on such a usually casual cruise like Alaska, feel free. Cocktail attire and suits are not even the majority attire for Gala night anymore, outside of those longer cruises where the older, more traditional cruisers go. After being out in the magnificent environment of Alaska, hiking, kayaking, watching the glaciers go by, I just feel out of place putting on something that I would reserve for a very high-end dinner at a fine city restaurant.

Thank you for all of this great info. Happy to hear the Dive In reviews!! So if I am reading correctly and we keep our open seating dining, we are still able to call and reserve a table for an individual evening if we wish to do so?

The Tamarind reviews seem very enthusiastic so perhaps we can book a second night but is there a danger of it not being available? I also read we can have high tea delivered to our stateroom and that sounds good for a warm afternoon when we want to be viewing scenery. Does anyone have experience with this? I also now see there is no Sel de Mer review since it isn't quite in existence yet so I eagerly await those.

And finally - I have never heard such enthusiasm as I have for the Lido! Perhaps because the King's Court on the QM2 was just awful and poorly laid out (before her remastering that is) we just never went there. The food was somewhat passable. We ate in the alternative restaurants and whichever restaurant we were assigned to. I never touched a buffet on Disney - too many little kids around touching everything :rolleyes: It sounds from the comments here we will have to start trying the Lido? Though I am going on a little hunt today to see if I can find MDR breakfast and lunch menus.

Asking these questions not only helps a new HAL cruiser it also builds that anticipation! Thank you everyone.

Thank you for all of this great info. Happy to hear the Dive In reviews!! So if I am reading correctly and we keep our open seating dining, we are still able to call and reserve a table for an individual evening if we wish to do so?

The Tamarind reviews seem very enthusiastic so perhaps we can book a second night but is there a danger of it not being available? I also read we can have high tea delivered to our stateroom and that sounds good for a warm afternoon when we want to be viewing scenery. Does anyone have experience with this? I also now see there is no Sel de Mer review since it isn't quite in existence yet so I eagerly await those.

And finally - I have never heard such enthusiasm as I have for the Lido! Perhaps because the King's Court on the QM2 was just awful and poorly laid out (before her remastering that is) we just never went there. The food was somewhat passable. We ate in the alternative restaurants and whichever restaurant we were assigned to. I never touched a buffet on Disney - too many little kids around touching everything :rolleyes: It sounds from the comments here we will have to start trying the Lido? Though I am going on a little hunt today to see if I can find MDR breakfast and lunch menus.

Asking these questions not only helps a new HAL cruiser it also builds that anticipation! Thank you everyone.

Look for POA1's review of his Eurodam cruise from earlier this year. He posted photos of all the menus, I believe.

So if I am reading correctly and we keep our open seating dining, we are still able to call and reserve a table for an individual evening if we wish to do so? Yes

The Tamarind reviews seem very enthusiastic so perhaps we can book a second night but is there a danger of it not being available? Yes. Better to pre-book and cancel if you have to.

Does anyone have experience with this? I also now see there is no Sel de Mer review since it isn't quite in existence yet so I eagerly await those. New on the Eurodam, but we greatly enjoyed it on the Koningsdam.

As others have said, I would stay with open MDR dining. I do it anyway because I 1)rarely eat in the MDR and 2) do not want to be stuck with one time to eat IF I go to the MDR. Remember - there are more choices onboard outside of the MDR than nasty hamburgers, pizza, french fries!

As for attire - if you are comfortable sticking out by wearing cocktail attire and suits every night while the majority are Country Club Casual, especially on such a usually casual cruise like Alaska, feel free. Cocktail attire and suits are not even the majority attire for Gala night anymore, outside of those longer cruises where the older, more traditional cruisers go. After being out in the magnificent environment of Alaska, hiking, kayaking, watching the glaciers go by, I just feel out of place putting on something that I would reserve for a very high-end dinner at a fine city restaurant.

Thank you for the heads up on dress code for most - but we dress for each other, it is special to us. When we go on a cruise it is just one nice 7 day date for the two of us. We had cocktail attire on in the evenings on Disney where we really stood out.:D It just makes no difference to us. I was just curious as to whether the tuxes were still popular for a formal/gala night.

The reason I didn't mention the Lido buffet as an option before is because in my experience (QM2 King's Court, Disney) they were just awful. I will be happy to hear if there is a nice Lido buffet - it just has never been a part of my cruise experiences.

There is so much variety in the Lido for both breakfast and lunch, and all of it very good, it would be hard to describe it all. HAL excels in its fresh baked bread and pastry items too. They now offer many prepared "small plates", and freshly made sushi for lunch as well as build you own buffet items like the pasta or salad bars.

Plus the build your own ice-cream sundae bar by the trays of cookies. The new Dive-Inn burger and hotdog grill and the aft-deck pizza station also offers "buzzers" to let you know when your order is ready. Agree with the recommendation to try the Pinnacle for lunch if it is open during an at-sea day as we like that menu for its variety better, than what they offer for their dinner menu.

And we also find the quiet formality of breakfasts or lunch in the main dining room a very pleasant way to start the day too and get away from the lunch time bustle of the Lido.

As another person panning their first HAL cruise, I have found lots of good menus at halfacts.com and rogerjett-photography.com/ I hope offering these sites is alright.

I am adding a second Tamarind since the recommendations are so positive, and possibly a Pinnacle Grill because the PG menu looks like the steaks are a specialty?

So we will have Tamarind 2X

Sel de Mer 1X

Pinnacle Grill 1X

Hopefully attend the Salmon Bake on deck in Juneau or go out to dinner in Juneau

Any opinions? :confused:

Should I add Canaletto or do the dining room? The thoughts here on Canaletto have not been very positive but it did sound fun to share all those things (there is one couple with whom we can go to Canaletto & share); if anyone has positive Canaletto recommendations I would love to hear them.

I checked out the menus for all the specialty restaurants and found some MDR breakfast menus also...I saw a "full Japanese breakfast", "full American breakfast", Full Dutch breakfast", etc. These look like so much fun! Do they serve them in the PG breakfast also?

I sound pretty concerned about eating :o but we do love to eat and drink on vacation. Salads and grilled chicken every day and night are for when we get home! Now if they add an ice rink to HAL, I can also get my exercise on board!

....I checked out the menus for all the specialty restaurants and found some MDR breakfast menus also...I saw a "full Japanese breakfast", "full American breakfast", Full Dutch breakfast", etc. These look like so much fun! Do they serve them in the PG breakfast also? .....

.... Now if they add an ice rink to HAL, I can also get my exercise on board!

The Pinnacle Grill's breakfast menu is identical to the main dining room's menu. So yes, you will have access to those choices you listed above. No ice rink on HAL, but they do have those walk-around promenade decks, and you can get a good, brisk walk in-between your meals:D Bon Appetit!