Airline Changed Return Flight Time.....oh noes!

Cruising on Vista out of Port of Miami this August. Our return flight home out of MIA was scheduled for 12:30pm, which I felt left a good amount of time to make it to the airport, considering the ship is scheduled to arrive at 8am. The airline e-mailed me with a flight schedule change stating that now the plane leaves at 11:20am, a little more than an hour earlier! This doesn't leave much margin for error in terms of things that could go wrong to miss our flight. Initially, when I booked the flight, there had been a few options in the early afternoon on the same airline, but now there are none, unless I want to wait until the evening, which I don't. There are 6 of us and 2 are little kids.

I've read the posts about how early to book a flight and this new flight time sounds like hit or miss in terms of making it. Should I just keep it and hope for the best? Anyone have tips on what recourse I should have with the airline before I call them? I am considering cancelling the return flight with this airline and booking with another, or even the possibility of a different flight in the early afternoon leaving out of FLL with the same airline. Thanks!

I would call them and talk very nicely and explain why you had that time booked. Airlines aren't as bad as most people think when it comes to working with people. Just call them as soon as you can and work out details with them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That flight is easily doable - don't change! You wouldn't even have to carry your own luggage off- you have plenty of time to make the flight from MIA. I made an 11:20AM flight out of FLL last NYE getting off the Vista and that was with busy holiday travel and long security lines. I still had an hour to wait around.

I would call them and talk very nicely and explain why you had that time booked. Airlines aren't as bad as most people think when it comes to working with people. Just call them as soon as you can and work out details with them.

Thanks. This is basically what my strategy will be. However, the airline got rid of all their flights around my original time. Originally, they all went to ORD and now they all go through Newark. I've checked and there won't be much they can do for me, but I'll call anyway, and be nice about it. :D

That flight is easily doable - don't change! You wouldn't even have to carry your own luggage off- you have plenty of time to make the flight from MIA. I made an 11:20AM flight out of FLL last NYE getting off the Vista and that was with busy holiday travel and long security lines. I still had an hour to wait around.

Thanks. I likely won't change the flight, even though I will still call and ask about it. Good to hear someone made the flight ok and it sounds like that was even out of FLL after docking in Miami! I know I can do self assist and pre-register that I have an early flight. Thinking of grabbing a cab to airport so we don't have to wait around once through customs. Are cabs readily available in a queue line at the Port of Miami? We are a party of 6 with 2 little ones!

Thanks. Thinking of grabbing a cab to airport so we don't have to wait around once through customs.

I recommend grabbing a porter for luggage - they have their own queue and it flies! The porters make their $ in tips and want/need to get through as fast as possible. Our last cruise the customs guy literally took our form, smiled, waved. Done.

It's worth the $ to zip through.

You do not have to accept time changes.

Actually, you do, unless the time difference is over 90 minutes, in which case you can be refunded in full.

We had virtually this exact same change awhile back, except flying to a different destination. We had FTTF so we're in group 2 to disembark. Customs had three people there and they were taking their time. We made it to our flight ONLY because a SW agent had us skip to the front of the security line. So, it could be dicey. After that experience, I wouldn't try it with little kids. We ran up just when they were getting ready to close the doors.

We have been on ships that have been delayed getting back into port or debarking due to weather, medical emergencies, and customs inspections. If everything goes as it should, 11:30 should be easy to make. Grab a cab - just go outside the terminal and get in the taxi line. We have never waited more than five minutes for a taxi. I would hate to stress over making a flight after a great cruise.

We got off the Vista last Sunday. She was docked in Miami at 6am. We ate breakfast in Horizons at 8am and were off the ship and at the airport at 9:30am. Totally doable especially if you self debark to lessen your stress!

At one time Carnival had on their website a list of recommended times for departure from every homeport airport. I looked yesterday and could not find it. I am specifically looking for Orlando flights after Port Canaveral disembarkation. Does anyone know if this is still on the website and how I could find it?

I'd say the airline did you a favor and saved you an extra hour sitting in the airport. You can EASILY make it to the airport. As others said, if you want to lesson anxiety, just do self-disembarkation. You'll end up at the airport with hours to spare. On our last cruise in Miami, my friend was at the airport, if I recall, well before 8AM sitting at her gate.

There are people who are eating breakfast at 8AM on the ship and still make 11AM flights... this is a total non issue.

I'd say the airline did you a favor and saved you an extra hour sitting in the airport. You can EASILY make it to the airport. As others said, if you want to lesson anxiety, just do self-disembarkation. You'll end up at the airport with hours to spare. On our last cruise in Miami, my friend was at the airport, if I recall, well before 8AM sitting at her gate.

There are people who are eating breakfast at 8AM on the ship and still make 11AM flights... this is a total non issue.

And I WISH we would have had an 11 am flight. Our flight was supposed to be at 2:30, but ended up being closer to 4. Then, Dallas was a mess and our second leg (2 hour flight) was delayed several times. We finally were home in bed at 1:30 a.m.!!!

You will NOT miss your 11AM flight. The port customs area is one of the EASIEST we've ever been through. Once they called our zone, we literally did not stop walking until we hit the luggage pickup area.

The holdup for us was finding one of our bags, which they put onto carousels (by debarkation zone) like you see in the airport. I spent 15 minutes looking for bag on the conveyor, only to find it sitting between two carousels. Once we got our last bag, we stood in line for customs maybe 5 minutes. The customs agent didn't really look at our form, just smiled and waved us through.

Once outside (it's a madhouse), I called an uber who was less than a minute away. We walked across the street to the median (a lot of people will be there waiting for rides) and we were in the car and our way in less than 5 minutes. 15 - 20 minute drive to the airport. Do uber....Carnival transfers take FOREVER.

Then, about 20 - 25 minutes at the airport checking in, and going through security.

If you skip breakfast and want to be one of the first ones off, you can be at the airport by 8!

I recommend grabbing a porter for luggage - they have their own queue and it flies! The porters make their $ in tips and want/need to get through as fast as possible. Our last cruise the customs guy literally took our form, smiled, waved. Done.

It's worth the $ to zip through.

Not anymore they don't, now they use the same lines as non-assisted passengers.

Actually, you do, unless the time difference is over 90 minutes, in which case you can be refunded in full.

On United, last time this happened to me it only had to be a 5 minute change to have an option of accepting or not. I agree with the others that the flight time is okay...if you are willing to keep the time there's nothing else they will do for you. If you want a different flight, they will usually accommodate that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I've been told by the airlines that a change of less than an hour and they do not have to do anything. Anything more and they will not charge you for changing flights even if the fare is more.

That being said, an 11:20 flight is easy to make and you don't have to do self disembarkation. Just make sure you have a tag to be one of the earlier groups to be off the ship. You do this by going to guest services after you receive your tags if you don't already get an early one. 11:20 is the PERFECT time in my opinion and I sure wouldn't change to one a lot later. The airport is a short drive away and traffic generally isn't bad on the weekends.

I have had this happen to me. What I do is go to the airline's website and choose a flight that works better. Then I call the airline and let them know of the schedule change and give them the new flight I want. They have always changed it to what I want without paying any additional fee.

We once had a flight to our cruise changed from direct from NY to Fort Lauderdale to having a stop in Dallas with our new arrival in Fort Lauderdale being at a time where we could wave goodbye to our ship.

I first called the large agency with whom we had booked the flight online and they said too bad. I then called American Express and told them the story, and they were going to contest the charge. My DW then suggested I call the airline. And as you said they were not as bad as people say. The representative went to a supervisor who I am sure told her that the time change in arrival was enough that they were obligated to work with me on it. It was cancelled, and we were able to fly on another airline. since they cancelled it, I let American Express know it was taken care of and they did not have to do any further action.

And of course we booked the new flight direct with the airline, not the previous agency.

Edited by ontheweb
last paragraph added