Gratuities question

Aileen65

.....and furthermore the do not necessarily go to the people you want the money to go to, isn't that even more of a disincentive to pay them?

If you leave the auto tips in place, any extra tip will go to the person you want the extra tip to go to. Where do you Brits come up with the idea that they don't get their tips? It seems a prevailing obsession with some of you that tips are taken away from them. They aren't. Unless you take matters in your own hands and only tip a small portion of the total to only the person you think deserves it. As I have said before, the only reason I can come up with for this "they don't get their tips" fantasy is an attempt to rationalize not tipping at all. :rolleyes:

You all know what the policies are. Why in the world do you have so darn much trouble abiding by them? Are you this contrary with everything else in your lives? Or is it just another way to be cheap and selfishly keep the money for yourselves? :(

I don't think that is a verified true statement?...at least from reading this thread.
No one on here can answer this question 100% unless they have worked for Celebrity, so if the answer is so important to you, why not ask the Hotel Director on your next cruise?

No one on here can answer this question 100% unless they have worked for Celebrity, so if the answer is so important to you, why not ask the Hotel Director on your next cruise?

Or better yet, he should hire on as a staff member and then get back to us about how it really works. If he is that concerned about how the staff is paid, he should be willing to get to the bottom if it by hiring on and finding out first hand. Otherwise, his comments are just unfounded opinions. :evilsmile:

The common sense thing to do is just pay your standard gratuities and let the ship work out the rest of how it is distributed. If you want to pay more to an individual, just do what makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

Here's a novel idea, go on your cruise, pay the auto tips and enjoy yourself.

The common sense thing to do is just pay your standard gratuities and let the ship work out the rest of how it is distributed. If you want to pay more to an individual, just do what makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

I agree. Every time I see one of these gratuities/tips threads that go on and on, I am quite certain that if you have to make an adjustment in the way things are being done for you, more often or not it is an attempt to skate some or all of the gratuities.

Prime example: A few years ago in the Q+A with the Captain/HD a question was asked about the salary for the tip dependent crew. The HD said, to paraphrase, "Oh, I quite guarantee that those crew members receive a monthly salary." He conveniently neglected to say that the monthly salary was $50.

Within minutes from the end of the session, the line at the Purser's Desk snaked all the way through the atrium (literally hundreds of pax), all having the daily gratuities removed from their bill. I am sure these folks would have said, "oh, I want to reward for exceptional service in cash."

Sure.

We leave tips in place (and that isn't what I really want to do..e.g. we have never eaten a meal in the MDR/and we are elite plus,so have cruised a few times/...but we just leave the auto tips in place...because there is no system in place to get our auto tips to who actually provide us service. )...and we do pay extra cash to individuals if we think they did a good job...mainly to our cabin steward...

I would feel "warm and fuzzy" if the person I give cash to actually gets to keep it.

If you leave the auto tips in place, any extra tip will go to the person you want the extra tip to go to. Where do you Brits come up with the idea that they don't get their tips? It seems a prevailing obsession with some of you that tips are taken away from them. They aren't. Unless you take matters in your own hands and only tip a small portion of the total to only the person you think deserves it. As I have said before, the only reason I can come up with for this "they don't get their tips" fantasy is an attempt to rationalize not tipping at all. :rolleyes:

You all know what the policies are. Why in the world do you have so darn much trouble abiding by them? Are you this contrary with everything else in your lives? Or is it just another way to be cheap and selfishly keep the money for yourselves? :(

I agree with you. The UK tipping forums are always full of people decrying having to pay tips

We are from England but i always prepay or autopay tips plus give extra to anyone who gives us good service and that's what everyone should do IMO.

Or better yet, he should hire on as a staff member and then get back to us about how it really works. If he is that concerned about how the staff is paid, he should be willing to get to the bottom if it by hiring on and finding out first hand. Otherwise, his comments are just unfounded opinions. :evilsmile:

Good answer.

Prime example: A few years ago in the Q+A with the Captain/HD a question was asked about the salary for the tip dependent crew. The HD said, to paraphrase, "Oh, I quite guarantee that those crew members receive a monthly salary." He conveniently neglected to say that the monthly salary was $50.

Where did you get the $50 per month idea from? I've heard that before, and also $1 per month, but other than some sensationalist "news" stories, I haven't seen any proof of that.

There is a seafarers union, and my understanding is that the union shops ("locals" here in the states) are run by the worker's home countries. There is a contracted amount that seafarers are paid, and a minimum wage all signatories to the contract must pay. Glassdoor.com reports that most of the workers we come in contact with earn about $1,000 USD a month, about 40% higher than the minimum wage established by the Joint Maritime Commission (JMC) of the International Labour Organization (ILO) .

I know some cruise ships or lines are signatories, but I haven't been able to find a complete list of them (ships can sign on as some cruise lines structure each ship as its own "company" or subsidiary). The contract specifies working conditions, living conditions, and other things you would expect a union to cover.

I maintain that if there is a contracted amount, they are paid that amount. Perhaps they are paid minimum wage of $614 USD per month and the remaining classified as tips for their benefit in paying taxes. Or the line pays them a higher wage depending on how much they can show as "tips". Remember that the line has no tax benefit for doing this; they don't pay US corporate income tax anyway, and don't pay payroll taxes on foreign workers. The split of wage and tax income (if I'm right about that) is for the benefit of the worker only.

Where did you get the $50 per month idea from? I've heard that before, and also $1 per month, but other than some sensationalist "news" stories, I haven't seen any proof of that.

There is a seafarers union, and my understanding is that the union shops ("locals" here in the states) are run by the worker's home countries. There is a contracted amount that seafarers are paid, and a minimum wage all signatories to the contract must pay. Glassdoor.com reports that most of the workers we come in contact with earn about $1,000 USD a month, about 40% higher than the minimum wage established by the Joint Maritime Commission (JMC) of the International Labour Organization (ILO) .

I know some cruise ships or lines are signatories, but I haven't been able to find a complete list of them (ships can sign on as some cruise lines structure each ship as its own "company" or subsidiary). The contract specifies working conditions, living conditions, and other things you would expect a union to cover.

I maintain that if there is a contracted amount, they are paid that amount. Perhaps they are paid minimum wage of $614 USD per month and the remaining classified as tips for their benefit in paying taxes. Or the line pays them a higher wage depending on how much they can show as "tips". Remember that the line has no tax benefit for doing this; they don't pay US corporate income tax anyway, and don't pay payroll taxes on foreign workers. The split of wage and tax income (if I'm right about that) is for the benefit of the worker only.

If the crew make your cruise memorable they deserve to be rewarded in the best way for them.

We leave tips in place (and that isn't what I really want to do..e.g. we have never eaten a meal in the MDR/and we are elite plus,so have cruised a few times/...but we just leave the auto tips in place...because there is no system in place to get our auto tips to who actually provide us service. )...and we do pay extra cash to individuals if we think they did a good job...mainly to our cabin steward...

The waitstaff that is in the tipping pool also includes those in the buffet, burger stand, etc.

Unless you did not eat any food while on the ship, your auto tips did go towards those who provided you with service.

The waitstaff that is in the tipping pool also includes those in the buffet, burger stand, etc.

Unless you did not eat any food while on the ship, your auto tips did go towards those who provided you with service.

Good answer and proof you should leave your autogratuities in place.

I know that...that is exactly why I said why we leave auto tips in place because there is no system in place to get our tips to the people that actually provide our service.

I know that...that is exactly why I said why we leave auto tips in place because there is no system in place to get our tips to the people that actually provide our service.

My sentiments exactly.

The system is in place. That is how the people who provide service to you, seen and unseen, are taken care of.

I just have to wonder why some of you (from certain countries, no surprise) stubbornly refuse to accept that the cruise line distributes the tips to the appropriate people as dictated by their contracts with those people. Have you convinced yourselves that you know better how the cruise lines are supposed to manage their own businesses? I find it arrogant the repeated questioning of how the cruise lines run their companies. If you can't let them run their own businesses the way they see fit, then perhaps you should find somewhere else to spend you money instead of continually making accusations and negative assumptions of the companies you willingly purchase products from. It makes you look like fools. :rolleyes:

The system is in place. That is how the people who provide service to you, seen and unseen, are taken care of.

I just have to wonder why some of you (from certain countries, no surprise) stubbornly refuse to accept that the cruise line distributes the tips to the appropriate people as dictated by their contracts with those people. Have you convinced yourselves that you know better how the cruise lines are supposed to manage their own businesses? I find it arrogant the repeated questioning of how the cruise lines run their companies. If you can't let them run their own businesses the way they see fit, then perhaps you should find somewhere else to spend you money instead of continually making accusations and negative assumptions of the companies you willingly purchase products from. It makes you look like fools. :rolleyes:

I think the fact we either prepay or autopay our tip's is justification that we leave the tip distribution to the cruise company and give extra cash tips for excellent service also to the crew.

Agree, common sense also dictates that with social media, if the cruise lines weren't doing the proper thing we would hear about it. Also might be some work issues on board.

We will be travelling on the Equinox for 7 day western Caribbean cruise June 4-11. We will be in a concierge class cabin. What are the appropriate amounts to tip and to whom? Do we leave cash in cabin when cruise has ended for housekeeping. Do we tip wait staff at each meal? How much?

I assume if we order room service we tip as we go?

Thanks

Aileen

That is up to you.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I can state for a fact, that in our specific case (and I am only commenting on our case) the crew that services us doesn't get our appropriate auto tips. (at least using the "your waiter gets $x dollars a day, your assistant waiter get $x, and so on...if indeed that is still the method...who really knows now.)

I also don't appreciate people on these boards calling others fools, but I was raised better than to sling such nonsense. Even though I would really like to.

We just returned from a 7 night cruise. We had a very attentive cabin steward in Aqua, and we ate in Blu and we sat in the same area each time, so we had the same waiter. I don't know how much they make, but I know they work hard, long hours and they are away from their country and families for long periods. We can afford to spend money on a vacation so we plan to tip extra at the end. No one says what they pay extra, so I will put it out there, I have no idea if we are being cheap, too generous or just okay = only they can answer that. We gave our cabin attendant $30, our waiter $30, and $10 each to the two wine guys, and the two assistants in Blu. We tip if we order room service and when we get coffee we give a $1.00 for each cup. We always carry ones and give $1.00 for each drink we get from the bar.

Whatever is given I will assume is appreciated.

I would love to hear what others give.