Formal wear

Charlie1422

Need some advice from experienced Princess cruisers. We have just booked our first Princess cruise. We have mostly cruised on HAL, which has changed from formal night to "Gala night". Two cruises ago I stopped bringing my tux since hardly anyone wears one any more. I see from the Princess site that tux or suit is expected. Is this the case or would Sport coat and tie be acceptable. I'll be happy to pack the tux if that's the norm. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

Need some advice from experienced Princess cruisers. We have just booked our first Princess cruise. We have mostly cruised on HAL, which has changed from formal night to "Gala night". Two cruises ago I stopped bringing my tux since hardly anyone wears one any more. I see from the Princess site that tux or suit is expected. Is this the case or would Sport coat and tie be acceptable. I'll be happy to pack the tux if that's the norm. Thanks in advance.

Sport coat is fine.

There are hundreds of threads on this subject and a quick search on the main Princess board page (upper right "search forum") will get you a ton of info by entering a keyword or 2.

These dress threads can get pretty contentious so put on your seatbelt. ;)

For the DR sport coat with shirt & tie is fine. Some wear sport coat without a tie, some shirt & tie without a sport coat. Also, dress in specialty restaurants in smart casual every evening. Some passengers reserve the specialty restaurants for those nights. Dress in all other areas of the ship is casual all the time.

I always take my tux and I also have a white dinner jacket which I wish I would have bought along on our last b2b cruise. Europe. My wife loves to wear her gowns. But just once I would like to try traveling with just one suitcase. I find fewer people dress up in the Caribbean and more in Europe.

Just a jacket is fine you don't even need to wear a tie. I hate them and never wear one. I have also seen many people on formal nights with just a dress shirt and they are let in the MDR not so on Celebrity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As others have said, a suit or dinner jacket will suffice. On Hawaiian and Caribbean cruises I go with a sport jacket, dress shirt and tie. For Europe, I go with a dark suit. I stopped with the tux some years ago but I must say that the gents who take the effort to dress formally do look good.

I await with baited breath for the usual suspects to appear stating that dress is simply a suggestion and that one can dress as they please.

As others have said, a suit or dinner jacket will suffice. On Hawaiian and Caribbean cruises I go with a sport jacket, dress shirt and tie. For Europe, I go with a dark suit. I stopped with the tux some years ago but I must say that the gents who take the effort to dress formally do look good.

I await with baited breath for the usual suspects to appear stating that dress is simply a suggestion and that one can dress as they please.[/quoted

Bated breath, gosh this darned spell program is annoying. I would shut it down if I could spell well, or good for that matter.

I wear a dark suit and take a couple of different shirts and ties to go with it. If I had a tux I'd wear it. There are always some in tuxedos and they stand out. The ladies love it. :)

My DH brings a dark suit with a couple of different shirts and ties.

On our recent Alaska cruise, one gentleman thought that formal night meant a sweatshirt, Minion pajama bottoms, and sheepskin slippers. He wasn't in the actual dining room though, so I guess that makes it okay. :rolleyes:

My DH brings a dark suit with a couple of different shirts and ties.

On our recent Alaska cruise, one gentleman thought that formal night meant a sweatshirt, Minion pajama bottoms, and sheepskin slippers. He wasn't in the actual dining room though, so I guess that makes it okay. :rolleyes:

OK, you made me look it up. I had no idea what the heck Minion pajamas were. There is a very good chance that they will never appear in my home or on a cruise ...as long as I am there.

OK, you made me look it up. I had no idea what the heck Minion pajamas were. There is a very good chance that they will never appear in my home or on a cruise ...as long as I am there.

LOL, and this was a grown man in his late forties, early fifties. He was way too old to be wearing his "jammies" in public.:D

I see from the Princess site that tux or suit is expected. Is this the case or would Sport coat and tie be acceptable.

A tux or even a suit is not mandatory by any means. It's more of a suggestion & Princess even states that if you don't care to wear a suit it's perfectly fine to wear just a shirt, tie and slacks if that's what you prefer.

The people who keep spouting that a suit or tux are mandatory are holdouts from years ago when it was a "requirement" and haven't taken the time to read Princess's latest dress code.

Times have changed.

A tux or even a suit is not mandatory by any means. It's more of a suggestion & Princess even states that if you don't care to wear a suit it's perfectly fine to wear just a shirt, tie and slacks if that's what you prefer.

The people who keep spouting that a suit or tux are mandatory are holdouts from years ago when it was a "requirement" and haven't taken the time to read Princess's latest dress code.

Times have changed.

Times have changed for most people anyway.

Times have changed.

Nit sure where you think you see that shirt tie and skacks are fine the current wording is

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

Nit sure where you think you see that shirt tie and skacks are fine the current wording is

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

Per the Princess web site.

"For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes

(or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse."

As you can see Princess is very lenient about dress. It's not as formal as it was in past years.