Upgrade from a Junior Suite?

So I have a lovely mid-hump ocean-view Junior Suite reserved for my next cruise on the Allure of the Seas. I was wondering if I should mark my Upgrade Preferences as "I do NOT want an upgrade" on the RCI website. I know that free upgrades are *extremely* rare anyway, but of course I would not object to an upgrade to a full suite! Is there any chance that an "upgrade" could consist of a move to another (less well-located) Junior Suite??

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

So I have a lovely mid-hump ocean-view Junior Suite reserved for my next cruise on the Allure of the Seas. I was wondering if I should mark my Upgrade Preferences as "I do NOT want an upgrade" on the RCI website. I know that free upgrades are *extremely* rare anyway, but of course I would not object to an upgrade to a full suite! Is there any chance that an "upgrade" could consist of a move to another (less well-located) Junior Suite??

I don't think they would move you to something in the same category.

IF, and that's a BIG IF, you get 'upgraded", it will be to a GS or OS...I love JS's for the space/price...but I would gladly take something bigger, if it didn't cost more. The hump is a convenient location, but I'd walk a bit more for a REAL suite!

IF, and that's a BIG IF, you get 'upgraded", it will be to a GS or OS...I love JS's for the space/price...but I would gladly take something bigger, if it didn't cost more. The hump is a convenient location, but I'd walk a bit more for a REAL suite!

LaLa got upgraded from JS to GS in April on Rhapsody. Not a happy camper since JS was an Aft. Pier upgrade, nothing she could do about it.

The suite benefits were of no value since she is D+ anyway. Sailed solo so the space wasn't needed either. Even the priority departure wasn't needed since she was B2B.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

LaLa got upgraded from JS to GS in April on Rhapsody. Not a happy camper since JS was an Aft.

The suite benefits were of no value since she is D+ anyway. Even the priority departure wasn't needed since she was B2B

She didn't want MDR dinner in her stateroom?

She didn't want MDR dinner in her stateroom?

Not her style, no table anyway. [emoji33]

She was really looking forward to the massive aft balcony. Plus we had the aft next door for the second leg. GS's are all the way in front of ship

Not her style, no table anyway. [emoji33]

She was really looking forward to the massive aft balcony. Plus we had the aft next door for the second leg. GS's are all the way in front of ship

This is why I have always felt they should have the upgrade preferences on a per cruise basis, rather than a global setting.

From reading CC boards it seems there are two reasons to request "Do Not Upgrade".

1. You picked a very specific room, such as an aft junior suite and don't want to give it up

2. You are traveling with other people in adjacent / nearby cabins and don't want to be moved apart

Are there other reasons to request not to be upgraded?

From reading CC boards it seems there are two reasons to request "Do Not Upgrade".

1. You picked a very specific room, such as an aft junior suite and don't want to give it up

2. You are traveling with other people in adjacent / nearby cabins and don't want to be moved apart

Are there other reasons to request not to be upgraded?

You want to keep the same stateroom for consecutive cruises.

Good point, I wouldn't want to spend the switchover day packing and moving. Also wouldn't want to be in an upgraded room on the first leg and then sent back to the regular room for the second leg.

LaLa got upgraded from JS to GS in April on Rhapsody. Not a happy camper since JS was an Aft. Pier upgrade, nothing she could do about it.

The suite benefits were of no value since she is D+ anyway. Sailed solo so the space wasn't needed either. Even the priority departure wasn't needed since she was B2B.

You can refuse the upgrade. We refused it on the Jewel several years ago.

If you have your upgrade options set for automatic, they can upgrade you anytime and you might not know about it until you get your SeaPass card at check-in. Then the story will be "We're absolutely full, no way to change now".

Depends.

If it's a great cabin, perhaps. But upgrading to a GS in the middle of a B2B is pretty darned nice. The only "stress" is for a few hours when you move cabins while people are boarding.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Maybe the people in her JS would have switched with her to the GS??

Good point, I wouldn't want to spend the switchover day packing and moving. Also wouldn't want to be in an upgraded room on the first leg and then sent back to the regular room for the second leg.

Early on, our first few B2B were not in the same cabin, we had to move anyway and would take an upgrade unless we were booked in a premium cabin ( special suite, corner aft, aft, etc). We had no problem packing and moving (took no more than 10 minutes - as we kept all we could on hangers) or moving from an upgrade on the first leg, back to the original (lower) category for the second leg. In fact, it was kinda nice to move into a freshly cleaned cabin. We have a few B2B booked and since all are in "ordinary cabins" would move for an upgrade, regardless if it was the first or second leg. Haven't been offered a paid or unpaid upgrade in years.

Bob makes a great suggestion of preferences for each cruise.

M

I had my profile as auto upgrade, and did not expect an upgrade anyway, since the ship was showing sold out.

Went in to print my luggage tags a week before the cruise, and noticed the changed number. My upgrade was from

D1 nice hump location on Serenade to JS way aft (not true aft/wake cabin). I called, but it was too late, they had already

given my cabin away, booked through European channels.

Worked out well anyway, since I kept watching the available cabins online, and then a JS popped up in a central location, possibly a cancellation. Quick call to GS and she switched me to the that cabin. Happy cruiser once again. (But no double points for freebie).

• 2 weeks later...

What are the suite benefits on Rhapsody?