Had a great time, but ruined by theft!

Kflatley

We have all heard from someone about something or somebody on a cruise who has done this or that. Sometimes I have heard 3 or 4 versions of the same story, some even contradictory. The medivac was for a heart attack, no wait, it was a compound fracture, the next time I hear the story it was for a stroke victim. Unless we hear an announcement from the Captain, all rumors carried by cruise passengers are suspect.

There is no proof that the guy in handcuffs stole anything. He may have been arrested for spousal abuse or domestic violence, or possession of drugs. He could have an outstanding warrant for non payment of child support. To rely on a 3rd party report from someone who heard something about someone is risky to say the least.

There are many places where the theft could have occurred. I have had a checked bag with a TSA lock on it vandalized by someone unzipping an outside pocket and using a box cutter to slice the inner lining. The TSA lock was never touched and the bag looked like it wasn't touched. I noticed the damage when unpacking at home.

I'm sorry the OP,s bag was broken into, but with no proof, it is useless to pin point where the theft occurred.

It hardly matters since we aren't empaneled on a jury and not subject to the rule of evidence.

Doesn't matter. It happened to the OP.
It matters to the OP and that's too bad but I don't live my life always worrying and planning for the very worst outcome when the odds of this happening are very low . You of course can do as you wish .

Sorry that happened to you, but in the future you probably shouldn't put anything of value in checked luggage. DH has wanted to put his CPAP machine in our checked luggage and I won't let him. Even just souvenirs I buy I won't put in checked luggage, I always leave enough room in a carry-on piece of luggage to put those things and keep it with me. Or, we do self debarkation if we're driving then I don't have to worry about it at all.

It matters to the OP and that's too bad but I don't live my life always worrying and planning for the very worst outcome when the odds of this happening are very low . You of course can do as you wish .

I do put locks on my luggage, so I guess I live my life paranoid. Oh well. I guess I learn something new about myself every day.

What would that tell you if zip ties were removed? You wouldn't know if it was by security or not. A false sense of security as anyone can easily remove them.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Its like locking your car doors. Makes the thief work a little harder to get your stuff but won't prevent them if the thief is determined. They see a bag, they go through it if its open and easy. By adding zip ties you add an additional barrier to the luggage that the thief will need some type of tool (and more time to dislodge). So if you don't have that tool handy you move on to the next bag. If you do have the tool is this bag worth the extra time and effort to get the ties off of or move on to the next bag? Most crooks are lazy, they will move on. If they really want in your bag they will get it in TSA locks, zip ties or not.

Did you lock your bags before putting them out??

Karen

I have never locked a bag when left out last night of cruise. we keep anything of value in a backpack or small carry bag.. if someone steals my bag all they are getting is mostly dirty laundry. lol

Always lock your luggage. If someone is picking the lock it might be noticed.

It takes just a few nano-seconds to cut a zip tie, snap a tsa lock, or use a mini-cutter(the size of tweezers) to disable a luggage lock.

Cruise lines gives you options. They don't require you to leave your luggage out for pick-up. Just man-handle it off the ship yourself.

I hate it when people say: my luggage is too big to move myself....then get smaller luggage and pack less; I don't want to schlep my own luggage....then don't pack your valuables in your luggage and carry them off in a tote just for the purpose; Carnival should be responsible for my luggage....no, they are providing a service that may contain security risks, it is up to the passenger to use the service.

I have seen luggage at embarkation stacked outside a stateroom for hours while the inhabitants are off doing their thing. Carnival fulfilled their end, passengers should fulfill theirs.

No we didn't as we have been told that they go through a prescreening after being taken off the boat...

Would have been great to know we could lock them!

So sorry to hear what happened to you! We never put out our bags without TSA locks.

I just hope Carnival pay for your lost items.

Except - the OP didn't make a mistake. The person who stole her items did. Any fool with access to the internet can pick a TSA lock, and a zip tie can be cut easily, What was she supposed to do - hang out in the hallway guarding her luggage until it was taken by the crew?

This is one of the things I have always been uncomfortable about with Carnival and RCCL - the hours that my luggage has to hang out in the hallway waiting to be taken. On Celebrity, our luggage was removed within 5 minutes of us putting it out - and I never saw luggage sitting in the hallway that last night.

Also - I've read several comments that $200 was not a lot. True, but our house was burgled 15 years ago, and of all the tvs, computers, and jewelry that was stolen, it was the decorative wax egg that I had purchased as a memento from a family trip for $10 that bothered me the most. It still burns me - no resale value and I loved that egg! Why???

edited to add - wasn't picking on you, Sparks! You were just the easiest quote ;)

Completely agree. If you have ever been stolen from you'll know the feeling of violation it leaves behind can be hard to bare with more so than the loss of souvenirs. Does Carnival warn against leaving the baggage unattended? Recommend locking your luggage? Anything?

This thread really bothers me not only because I am about to board the same ship in 10 days but because we have never given a second thought to leaving our luggage out before heading to our last dinner. Call me naive but I always just assumed Carnival or any ship line for that matter, would have some thing in place to prevent this.

Perhaps you could bring out a rocking chair and a shotgun and just mind the bags till the're picked up .

You act like someone locking their stuff up or taping it up or whatever they do to be a personal affront to you and it has no impact on you in the slightest. They take care of their things differently than you do, so what?

You act like someone locking their stuff up or taping it up or whatever they do to be a personal affront to you and it has no impact on you in the slightest. They take care of their things differently than you do, so what?
I think you are misreading me . People are welcome to do whatever makes them feel comfortable . My issue is those who by inference are accusing the OP of negligence and blaming them for not taking care of their luggage . As for the granny with a gun , I was trying for a little humor . It wasn't meant as " a personal affront " to anyone .

On Tuesday, May 23rd (2nd day of cruise) my husband and I woke up to the couple across the hall fighting loudly. That night we had to call security on couple 2 doors down for domestic disturbance, loud fighting that became physical. Heard arguing on and off all week.

Friday (May 26th) we took time out to pack early so that we would have our day free. We had bought gifts and souvenirs for our family and I packed those in my checked luggage. As on all our other cruises we left our bags outside our room at 8pm as we were headed to dinner. My husband came back down to the room around 10:30ish and noticed that the couple (who we had to call security on) was acting odd... the guy was roaming the hall as the girl stood half inside/outside their room but thought nothing of it. On Saturday morning as we were getting out of our room we were told by other passengers that the guy my husband had seen the night before had been arrested by police that morning on board as he was on probation and had left the country on that cruise. We collected our bags and started our 4.5 hour drive. Once we reached our destination we wanted to give out the souvenirs. We opened my bag... all souvenirs, handbags, tshirts and even the clutches I brought with me on the cruise were all missing. We called and alerted carnival offices of the missing handbags. We are pretty sure we know who stole them and are waiting for Carnival offices to open tomorrow to report the additional items missing and will ask them to check the security footage. Over $200 worth of merchandise stolen right out of our bags. Nothing I hate more than a thief! That ruined the whole memory of the cruise for me and I've been sick to my stomach about it since. :mad:

Unless you saw someone actually in your bags, you know NOTHING.

I think you are misreading me . People are welcome to do whatever makes them feel comfortable . My issue is those who by inference are accusing the OP of negligence and blaming them for not taking care of their luggage . As for the granny with a gun , I was trying for a little humor . It wasn't meant as " a personal affront " to anyone .

Yes, I was misreading you and I apologize.

We always wait until it is close to the latest time to put out the luggage and listen for the cart rolling down the hall. We try to time it so that it is picked up by the staff right away.

I am always amazed when we are heading out for pre-dinner cocktails to see bags already out in the hall hours before they will start picking them up.

to see bags already out in the hall hours before they will start picking them up.

That is me. I like to get it over with and done so I can enjoy my last night on board. I NEVER put anything of value in there though. I almost wish someone would just steal the whole raggity ol suitcase sometimes, dirty clothes included :p It would be less to haul home and I need a reason to go buy new lol.

I think you are misreading me . People are welcome to do whatever makes them feel comfortable . My issue is those who by inference are accusing the OP of negligence and blaming them for not taking care of their luggage.

I guess I'm confused too. When I stood up for the OP, you quoted me and inferred I live my life paranoid. Did I also misunderstand? Because I still don't quite know why you responded to me like that. :confused:

I guess I'm confused too. When I stood up for the OP, you quoted me and inferred I live my life paranoid. Did I also misunderstand? Because I still don't quite know why you responded to me like that. :confused:
Oh boy - now we are all misunderstood . :D I believe some posters are overly cautious and agreed with the comment below . I didn't understand your comment in response was supporting the OP. I understood it as supporting those blaming the OP . OK now let's all give each other a hug .

Originally posted by
coevan

How many people of the hundreds of thousands of people who sail Carnival have had their bags broken into.

Originally posted by
Aquahound

Doesn't matter. It happened to the OP

Oh boy - now we are all misunderstood . :D I believe some posters are overly cautious and agreed with the comment below . I didn't understand your comment in response was supporting the OP. I understood it as supporting those blaming the OP . OK now let's all give each other a hug .

Ha! It happens. Yeah, I was totally supporting the OP. That other poster was minimizing what happened and I was saying the fact it rarely happens doesn't matter.....It happened to the OP, which is what matters here.

I just know you better than that...which was what confused me. All good. :)