Furniture choices in dining room affect ease of socializing

steverhodes

Roz,

It's all about health for us. Cheeseburger and fries are over 1100 calories and 62 grams of fat - which is too much for a single meal for me as I try to keep it around 1000 calories a day. As a chef, I have a strong preference for non-fried foods and things like veggies, seafood, turkey, chicken, with a fillet mignon, once in a while. My favorite food is sushi and sashimi - those are both street foods in Japan, so you really can't claim I'm snobby or elitist. A typical sashimi platter for 1 contains 355 - 400 calories and 10 grams of fat. Maybe you are someone who can eat whatever you want and not gain weight, but it's not like that for me. So I have to consciously choose to make smart eating choices everyday.

Great post and I am much the same. It has been at least 35 years since I have had a burger and fries or any fast food, with the exception of a coffee at a McCafe in Europe when nothing else is open nearby. This is by choice as I am focused on my health and maintaining a weight that allows me to live the active and fitness focused life I enjoy, for as long as I can. I have taken nutrition classes and owned a gym for several years. Regular work outs and healthy eating have been a part of my life for over 35 years, no matter where in the world I am.

When I take a river cruise I advise them in advance of my diet and how well they accommodate my preferences is important to me.

Suite Traveler,

When you are in America, do you only eat American food? We personally like variety, and in a given week at home we may have salmon, and chicken, and Italian, and Mexican, and Indian, and Thai. Why would that be any different on a cruise?

We enjoy trying local dishes, and frequently do. However, we have also had Indian food in Prague at the end of our cruise down the Danube, and in Barcelona at the end of our trip to Spain. We enjoyed the sausages and the goulash and the schnitzel on the cruise, and the tapas and paella in Spain, but we just wanted something different at that point. It is rare that we choose "American food" on vacation, but I will confess to once eating a hamburger in Dublin! What works best, in my opinion, is the option to choose what you want at any given time.

Defining what is American food is actually not easy. What many don't realize is that the vast majority of Chinese, Italian, Thai, Indian, Mexican, Japanese etc. restaurants in the US should actually be called Chinese-American, Italian-American, Thai-American, etc. because their food is actually either an Americanized version of the cuisines from these countries or a completely new American cuisine such as Chinese American food which was invented by Chinese Americans:

What I look for in any cuisine anywhere in the world is the freshest and highest quality local ingredients prepared in the best way possible which is almost always recipes that developed locally. This is how I cook as a chef and also what I want from any restaurant.

BTW, one thing I have enjoyed doing over the years is going to Chinese restaurants in places like Barcelona and Sydney and London to see what their Chinese food is like.

I try to moderate with a light touch, but when a post is reported by two different members as rude and inappropriate I have to take action. Remember the Cruise Critic guidelines that prohibit personal attacks on other posters.

One of the positives of these forums is helping us identify those we would probably enjoy meeting onboard.

Smokinmike, hope you have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's difficult to find very much information on the river cruise boards especially compared to the ocean cruise boards.

But this is the worst thread with the most useless information I have read on CC for a long time.

IMO this thread should have been closed down. Totally pointless and mean spirited.

Bring back the good ol' days when CC members provided beneficial and practical suggestions.

Kudos to the CC members who take the time and effort to actually try and help a fellow traveler.

It's difficult to find very much information on the river cruise boards especially compared to the ocean cruise boards.

But this is the worst thread with the most useless information I have read on CC for a long time.

IMO this thread should have been closed down. Totally pointless and mean spirited.

Bring back the good ol' days when CC members provided beneficial and practical suggestions.

Kudos to the CC members who take the time and effort to actually try and help a fellow traveler.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Some threads are more heated than others, that's for sure.

It is my impression that the most impassioned, judgmental threads are those devoted to food.

The most judgmental threads I've read have to do with tipping and how to dress in the dining room.

Roz

I wish there was a LIKE button for your post.

I would think that the reporting on the availability of cheeseburgers, the availability of regional cuisines, and the number of gentlemen wearing jackets at dinner in any particular circumstance is a goal worth seeking.

. . . somewhat like "Just how many times can I use an Oxford Comma?"

I would think that the reporting on the availability of cheeseburgers, the availability of regional cuisines, and the number of gentlemen wearing jackets at dinner in any particular circumstance is a goal worth seeking.

So, how many times can you? ;)

So, how many times can you? ;)

I can use it one, two, or more times in a sentence. [but it's hard to keep count!]

No, it's only 1 [extra] comma: the one before 'and' or 'or' at the end of a chain of options. IMHO it adds clarity that all the options are independent choices -- leaving it out [per 'standard usage'] implies that the last two options are alternatives.