Omboard currency exchange

TurboArrow

• 2 weeks later...

Agree that ATM's are usually the best. But on Marina's upcoming Norwegian fjord cruise there are some stops in small places. I don't know the availablity of ATMs and don't want to waste shore time looking. We'll take a couple of thousand Norwegian krone with us for small purchases and pay by card for anything more expensive (like lunches)

Depends on the port but most we stopped at had ATM in the port building or close by

We did take a small amount of each Countries currency with us

But I can get it at a local currency exchange place near us without having to pre order except for Rubles & we did not need them

Agree that ATM's are usually the best. But on Marina's upcoming Norwegian fjord cruise there are some stops in small places. I don't know the availablity of ATMs and don't want to waste shore time looking. We'll take a couple of thousand Norwegian krone with us for small purchases and pay by card for anything more expensive (like lunches)

We did the Fjords cruise on Azamara last year and didn't need any NOK and didn't get any. Credit cards are the norm no matter how small the amount. Everyone seems to have the portable credit card machines that are non existent in the US and have no problem taking the cards for even very small amounts. Hope your weather is as great as ours. Shirt sleeve weather for every port except for Bergan where not cold but, a bit wet the first day.

We bought Norwegian krone from our local bank, which charged a lot more than for other currencies, but we did it because our first port was an early pickup for a private tour, and we didn't think we'd have enough time to find an ATM. The tour operator was very reluctant to take currency, asking us where we got it. Seems like there's a lot of funny money in circulation there, He preferred credit cards, as did the restaurant we went to for lunch. Ultimately, O offered a buy back of unused money, which we took advantage of. So if you're cruising Norway's fjords, don't bother with changing money. Marlene

Everyone seems to have the portable credit card machines that are non existent in the US and have no problem taking the cards for even very small amounts.

Thanks for that Dave. Yes, it's commonplace here in Europe for almost everywhere to have the machines. But, in the UK, many places also set a minimum spend (albeit quite small) to use a card - presumably so that their small profit isnt eaten up by the card's merchant fees. So, for example, I'd expect to pay for lunch on a card, but not just for a coffee. I'd assumed Norway would be the same.

John

We bought Norwegian krone from our local bank, which charged a lot more than for other currencies, but we did it because our first port was an early pickup for a private tour, and we didn't think we'd have enough time to find an ATM. The tour operator was very reluctant to take currency, asking us where we got it. Seems like there's a lot of funny money in circulation there, He preferred credit cards, as did the restaurant we went to for lunch. Ultimately, O offered a buy back of unused money, which we took advantage of. So if you're cruising Norway's fjords, don't bother with changing money. Marlene

Nice of O, but at how big a discount did they take? Usually a pretty bad exchange rate.

Hi H,

>We'll take a couple of thousand Norwegian krone with us for small purchases and pay by card for anything more expensive

Wouldn't it be cheaper and about as convenient to get your "couple of thousand Norwegian krone" as soon as you arrive?

Enjoy your visit.

Ira

When we cruised in Norway on Sirena last October we were told (by locals and merchants) that cash is pretty much no longer in use there... but credit cards are.

You might not need to get kroner at all. If you do want cash, we always use an ATM with our debit card, NEVER a credit card.

Mura

Thanks for that Dave. Yes, it's commonplace here in Europe for almost everywhere to have the machines. But, in the UK, many places also set a minimum spend (albeit quite small) to use a card - presumably so that their small profit isnt eaten up by the card's merchant fees. So, for example, I'd expect to pay for lunch on a card, but not just for a coffee. I'd assumed Norway would be the same.

John

Our recent experience in England is, you can charge any amount. We tested it with a pack of gum 47p and no problem.

Our recent experience in England is, you can charge any amount. We tested it with a pack of gum 47p and no problem.

Depends on the individual shop, you cannot generalise. Some will have a £5 or £10 minimum to use a card. However if you have a contactless card, that is intended for small amounts. Do you have these in the US?

Yes we do but extremely few. Managed to get one a couple of years ago so it was easier to use the tube. Only one I could find. Some companies say they are coming but still waiting. Mine does not waive foreign transaction fees

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi H,

Wouldn't it be cheaper and about as convenient to get your "couple of thousand Norwegian krone" as soon as you arrive?

No.

Although it's likely to be a negligible difference between the exchange rate at home and the exchange rate in Norway (and the latter will have credfit card charge for ATM cash withdrawal). And certainly not more convenient - getting at home means I get it next time I go to the supermarket; getting it in Norway means I have to spend some holiday time finding an ATM.

Our recent experience in England is, you can charge any amount.

That was your experience, but it's not that commonplace here. Many places, usually small shops, have a £5 or £10 minimum spend.