Desert "to die for"...particularly on the Oosterdam.

Tinknock50

I loved the creme' brûlée and one night in the dining room they had a delicious raspberry mousse in a chocolate shell that melted in my mouth!

I have to admit most nights I was so full from dinner that I skipped dessert except for those 2 nights.

Have a great cruise Sean...we only live once so take the stairs and have dessert 2 nights! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I loved the creme' brûlée and one night in the dining room they had a delicious raspberry mousse in a chocolate shell that melted in my mouth!

I have to admit most nights I was so full from dinner that I skipped dessert except for those 2 nights.

Have a great cruise Sean...we only live once so take the stairs and have dessert 2 nights! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Deb.....my Personal Trainer said to imagine him slapping me on the back of my head if I considered eating the wrong stuff. LOL

He said fresh berries of any kind would be a good choice for my sweet.

I LOVE raspberries with chocolate so you may have just found me a winner. :D

I don't know how heavily sweetened they are, so they may not be a good diet choice, but HAL has good fruit soups. You can order that as a dessert. Or do you intend to go without dessert every meal except one?

I am going to request fresh, unadorned, berries for dessert every night. Only one night for an indulgent dessert.

The baked meringue pavlovas are very good, and there is a dense chocolate wedge that had a caramel crispy crunchy base that was worth the calories, but I have not seen it lately. There are plenty of good desserts on HAL ships, so chose your poison carefully.

You know the trusty French Women Don't Get Fat rule, eat only three bites of anything. Three long, well-savored bites. Then push it away. (Okay, sure)

The baked meringue pavlovas are very good, and there is a dense chocolate wedge that had a caramel crispy crunchy base that was worth the calories, but I have not seen it lately. There are plenty of good desserts on HAL ships, so chose your poison carefully.

You know the trusty French Women Don't Get Fat rule, eat only three bites of anything. Three long, well-savored bites. Then push it away. (Okay, sure)

Hmmm....those sound good. I hope somebody answers that was on the Oosterdam recently so I could pick the right night to wait for.

I was on the Oosterdam last summer and like on other ships I just loved the lemon tarte in the pinnacle. The dark choclate mousse and the meringue is great in combination with the lemon tarte! The combination is the one desert. I do not talk about ordering three. I recommend it highly.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Forums

On our recent HAL cruise, I didn't encounter any desserts in the MDR that I thought were worth the calories. Instead I indulged on a scoop or two of ice cream covered in Butterfinger bits at lunch in the Lido. (For me, I choose to go to the fitness center every day so that I can have dessert every day when cruising.)

Hmmm....those sound good. I hope somebody answers that was on the Oosterdam recently so I could pick the right night to wait for.

Pretty much the same menus are available fleet wide - we were recently on the Nieuw Amsterdam and saw a lot of favorites from prior HAL ships.

I spent three weeks on the Oosterdam in February. I allowed myself dessert only on formal nights. The soufflé is very good. On other nights I asked for a fresh fruit plate or the fruit salad appetizer for dessert. Another option is the "no sugar added" dessert. There is a different one every night and many of them are quite nice. I didn't gain a pound in the three weeks. I did walk five miles every day on the promenade deck. Enjoy your cruise. The Oosterdam is a wonderful ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have found the fruit soups the last couple of years are very tart -- so I stay away from them.

Most of HAL desserts have gone downhill.

I like the Chocolate Volcano Cake in the Pinnacle Grill. At one time the Pinnacle Grill had a great chocolate souffle -- no longer offered -- made with dark chocolate.

Have to agree with other comments that desserts are not HAL's strong suit. Speaking of the volcano cake in Pinnacle, had to send that back twice because it was cold inside. It was lukewarm the third try.

We think the frozen desserts (ice creams, sorbets, etc) are better than the baked desserts.

Well, since I'd be on a cruise, which I don't do every day, I think I'd forget all about the personal trainer and what he says. I'm fond of crème brulee and ask for it, even when it's not on the menu. Pavlova is good too. Actually I like HAL's desserts, since I never make them at home. So it is a special treat for me when I sail. :halo::halo::halo:

Marianne

My vote would be the "Snickers Cake". We have had it about 3-4 times on different ships. Not always offered. We had it only once of our last cruise across the Atlantic a month ago. Some rumors we heard is it is made outside HAL and not on board which would match with only having it on one dinner out of Ft. Lauderdale early on our 30 day cruise. It is really rich and very good.

DSCN7636.jpg

My vote would be the "Snickers Cake". We have had it about 3-4 times on different ships. Not always offered. We had it only once of our last cruise across the Atlantic a month ago. Some rumors we heard is it is made outside HAL and not on board which would match with only having it on one dinner out of Ft. Lauderdale early on our 30 day cruise. It is really rich and very good.

DSCN7636.jpg

Oh that was GOOD. DH and I really enjoyed it too :)

OP, DH and I will often order dessert - but one desser and 2 forks. We each have a taste and that is enough to satisfy us (usually ;) ).

A taste satisfies me. So, I have dessert as often as I want on board (we rarely have it at home unless we are entertaining) and, I put on no weight on my 30 day cruise :)

My mother taught me long ago (RIP) that you could eat anything you want as long as you do it in moderation and just have a taste. I have followed her sage advice over the years and it seems to work quite well.