Getaway misses its first two Batic ports

Bella O

On my weather app, there was a significant weather advisory in Warnemunde due to wind on Monday. The crew was told it was due to the wind. I do not understand why folks are doubting this was the issue. I understand the disappointment, but......safety always comes first!

I think people are questioning things because NCL has been sailing the Baltics for years and rarely has there been any mention of ports being missed.

This season it seems the GA has been unlucky with ports including the TA. And has the GA switched from not sailing into Stockholm this season or not vs. the port that I can't spell (Nynashamm)?

Edited by dexddd

I think people are questioning things because NCL has been sailing the Baltics for years and rarely has there been any mention of ports being missed.

This season it seems the GA has been unlucky with ports including the TA. And has the GA switched from not sailing into Stockholm this season or not vs. the port that I can't spell (Nynashamm)?

We are sailing in September and the itinerary lists Nynashamm as the port instead of Stockholm.

So far, this is a one time thing with a valid reason. If in another few weeks we see that the Getaway misses several ports on other itineraries than I think it's fair to say the ship is too big, NCL messed up, etc. I was on the May 25 sailing and (other than Gothenburg which was a one time stop for them so I'll give it a slide) I found things to be very smooth in each Baltic port.

We are sailing in September and the itinerary lists Nynashamm as the port instead of Stockholm.

Where do you see this change? On my 8/23 sailing, I still see Stockholm in my vacation summary

Stockholm, Sweden 08:00 AM 04:00 PM

Where do you see this change? On my 8/23 sailing, I still see Stockholm in my vacation summary

I see it on my NCL cruise page. We are sailing on September 19th. Most of the other dates of sailing say Stockholm.

It isn't necessarily a change. Since the itineraries were originally listed some have stated Stockholm and some Nynashamn. There has been some confusion in that people have been told that their cruise does or doesn't go to Stockholm, whilst the listed itineraries state something different.

At the moment, some September itineraries (including yours) state that they are going to Stockholm, whilst others have Nynashamn.

We are yet to see how accurate those listed itineraries are.

It isn't necessarily a change. Since the itineraries were originally listed some have stated Stockholm and some Nynashamn. There has been some confusion in that people have been told that their cruise does or doesn't go to Stockholm, whilst the listed itineraries state something different.

At the moment, some September itineraries (including yours) state that they are going to Stockholm, whilst others have Nynashamn.

The varying itinerary was a concern for us also. The Getaway won't be back next year. The Breakaway takes its place, but I don't see the issue of a mega ship being resolved with this change. Please keep reporting!

I just had a quick look at the reviews for the Getaway since it arrived in the Baltics, to get an early impression of what is happening regarding Stockholm.

During the discussions over the past year or so, I have stated my opinion that it wouldn't surprise me if the Getaway doesn't get into Stockholm all that often at all. I believe that there have been two completed Baltics cruises so far. The last one was one that went to Gothenburg (I assume that was always the plan as there were one or two of those planned).

However, the other one was apparently scheduled to go into Stockholm and the reviews report being informed about a week previously that they would be going to Nynashamn instead. Obviously, that doesn't indicate much for the future but it's not a good start.

Does anyone know where this current cruise is scheduled to go to the centre? I have to say that if I was on one of these cruises I would have my plan B in place in case it doesn't end up where I expected.

I hope it doesn't change.. I was on the Jade to W. Caribbean in Feb 2016 which listed Harvest Caye up to a couple months before sailing even though it was quite clear we weren't going to make it.

This is making me very nervous. I booked the Baltic for next May on Breakaway when they were having the free port charge promo. I was able to use two cruise next certificates, got the $100 Latitudes OBC and then paid off $1000 using two Amex cards for the $200 statement credit, which was expiring April 30th.

So in addition to being the only one on my roll call these last two months, hearing all these problems really disturbs me. I know my sailing is a long way off and I will wait to see how all the other 2017 sailings go. I would hate to cancel this cruise. I even got an angled balcony. I never sailed in the larger ships and was excited to experience one.

This is making me very nervous. I booked the Baltic for next May on Breakaway when they were having the free port charge promo. I was able to use two cruise next certificates, got the $100 Latitudes OBC and then paid off $1000 using two Amex cards for the $200 statement credit, which was expiring April 30th.

So in addition to being the only one on my roll call these last two months, hearing all these problems really disturbs me. I know my sailing is a long way off and I will wait to see how all the other 2017 sailings go. I would hate to cancel this cruise. I even got an angled balcony. I never sailed in the larger ships and was excited to experience one.

I tend to be the type person who thinks positively and hopes for the best. If you have not already, please read some of the first reviews posted about this Baltic cruise. The OP's overall seemed to have a good time and got into all the ports. Hopefully NCL will have all the problems worked out by the time you go (and hopefully by the time I go in Sept. 2017), but there is no control over the weather obviously. I am not nervous and I have already paid in full!

I couldn't remember what they were doing this year (and I thought I read that it had changed from going into Stockholm). I know they've switched back and forth over the years. The year we had booked it changed to going to Nynashamm and then a year or two later they went back into Stockhom.

What people are actually saying is that any given destination (port) is an absolute must for you then cruising is probably not the best choice for you to see that place. We all know that ports can and do get cancelled for a lot of different reasons. It would be highly unwise to book a cruise solely to see a specific destination (port) where missing that port would be a total deal breaker.

you-dont-say.jpg

And by the way, your obvious explanation is still != "never sail for the ports".

We will be on the July 27 sailing and I'm not worried about missing a port. Seems this one is weather related so hopefully it is just a one off. It happens from time to time and I think it's a risk you take with cruising. Having said that, I've never missed a port.

However, the kids will love the Getaway and if we end up with an extra day at sea there will be loads for them to do. Looking forward to our cruise!

I just had a quick look at the reviews for the Getaway since it arrived in the Baltics, to get an early impression of what is happening regarding Stockholm.

During the discussions over the past year or so, I have stated my opinion that it wouldn't surprise me if the Getaway doesn't get into Stockholm all that often at all. I believe that there have been two completed Baltics cruises so far. The last one was one that went to Gothenburg (I assume that was always the plan as there were one or two of those planned).

However, the other one was apparently scheduled to go into Stockholm and the reviews report being informed about a week previously that they would be going to Nynashamn instead. Obviously, that doesn't indicate much for the future but it's not a good start.

Does anyone know where this current cruise is scheduled to go to the centre? I have to say that if I was on one of these cruises I would have my plan B in place in case it doesn't end up where I expected.

I did the TA before the first Baltics Cruise. They found out a few days beforehand they would not be going to Stockholm. They were told on the Baltics Cruise it was because the Getaway was too big to manoeuvre through the Archipelago. If this was the reason then I can't see it going there all season.

This is the most poorly run cruise of the 10 I have been only. Gets worse and worse truly. The ship is not suited for the Baltics - DO NOT BOOK THIS SHIP FOR THIS ITINERARY!!!! It is too large and the amenities are not good for colder weather - abhorrent

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks so much for posting your experience on this cruise. I have been looking at this itinerary and would definitely be sailing for the ports. I did the TA on the Getaway and would certainly not cruise on this ship again unless it was a port intensive cruise (didn't really enjoy the ship JMO) and neither would I want to pay expensive airfares to just stay onboard and enjoy the ship. So sorry this has happened to you. To miss out on Tallin to me would be so disappointing as St Petersburg and Tallin are the ports I want to get to most. I hope the rest of your cruise goes well and you make the rest of the ports. I've been trying to work out when would be best time for me to go this season -price/weather wise, but I think I'll put this itinerary on hold for a while.

I did the TA before the first Baltics Cruise. They found out a few days beforehand they would not be going to Stockholm. They were told on the Baltics Cruise it was because the Getaway was too big to manoeuvre through the Archipelago. If this was the reason then I can't see it going there all season.

It may have been that GA was too big to maneuver through the Archipelago on that particular day's conditions.

I find it hard to believe that any cruise line would schedule a ship to place it couldn't go. It's like scheduling a bus trip down Lombard Street. Or a cruise to Hoover Dam. Who does that?

Edited by triptolemus

This came from another post/review from an earlier Getaway sailing in the Baltics:

"Stockholm - no. This was very poorly handled by NCL, because I heard about the change from Alla a week before NCL bothered to tell me. Apparently, it is the Captain's call. We did check the port timetables and see a large container ship taking the Getaway's original berth, so maybe they were outbid - but I suspect that the problems of the Transatlantic made the Captain nervous about taking such a big ship through the archipelago. We did still see some of it though, so don't despair if your port gets changed as well."

I think that NCL (and a lot of experienced cruisers) knew WAY ahead of time that the Getaway couldn't make it through the Archipelago. The NCL captains are usually Scandanavian and would all know what Stockholm is like through experience or common knowledge. Most ports have berthing schedules worked out way ahead of time, sometimes a year.

I think we will all be surprised if the Getaway ever makes it through. NCL canceled the docking in Stockholm before the sailing, yet didn't inform the passengers. I was also looking at the Breakaway for 2018 for a TA but will keep my booking with RCL even though I'm Latitudes. I sailed on the Getaway and thought the pool deck was the most squished pool deck I've ever observed. The ship was built for a warm climate (Miami).

It may have been that GA was too big to maneuver through the Archipelago on that particular day's conditions.

I find it hard to believe that any cruise line would schedule a ship to place it couldn't go. It's like scheduling a bus trip down Lombard Street. Or a cruise to Hoover Dam. Who does that?

The decision wasn't made on the day. Passengers are finding out via email 4-5 days prior to the cruise.

NCL do sell cruises knowing the itinerary is changed. They did that in Alaska on the Sun last year. All the longshoremen and private tour providers knew the itinerary was changed but NCL Head Office were denying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums