Getaway misses its first two Batic ports

Bella O

Just talked to our man on the ship-our son, Kurt's birthday today!

He told us he found out why the Getaway could not leave St. Petersburg on time. Get this-President Putin was in the area (I think he said he was in a stadium). The Russians (probably the military) disabled the navigation systems of the Getaway. After a period of time, a black helicopter flew over the ship and the navigation systems came back on. Sounds unbelievable-I cannot think of why they would do this, but they did according to Kurt and what he was told.

Wow, just wow.

He told us he found out why the Getaway could not leave St. Petersburg on time. Get this-President Putin was in the area (I think he said he was in a stadium). The Russians (probably the military) disabled the navigation systems of the Getaway. After a period of time, a black helicopter flew over the ship and the navigation systems came back on. Sounds unbelievable-I cannot think of why they would do this, but they did according to Kurt and what he was told.

Put in is one of those guys who does things because he can. This is not surprising at all. I will not visit Russia while he is alive.

We sailed on the Star a couple of years ago and had to miss Stockholm because of very high winds. So, it is not just the mega-ships that may not be able to make it to a port.

The Star missed Stockholm at least twice last year. As you say, it isn't just a problem for the big ships.

We leave today to sail on Wednesday. Our itinerary calls for Stockholm, but I'm prepared if we end up diverting to Nynashamn. In the end, it adds an hour each way to the city, but the port time is normally extended by at least an hour, so it nets out to one hour less in Stockholm. Since we're biting the bullet to ride all the way to Berlin, I just can't get worked up about having to go an hour (or maybe a little less) to Stockholm, but that's just me. I do feel for the people who saw "Stockholm (Nynashamn) Sweden" on their itinerary and didn't realize they weren't docking in the same place as those who had "Stockholm Sweden". Knowing there are multiple potential options, I'd just rather be prepared than throw in the towel and assume it's in the "too hard" category to get to Stockholm if it's altered at the last minute. Again, that's just me.

We've been watching the portsofstockholm.com website for weeks to monitor whether there's a posted change, recognizing that many of the pax on the two previous cruises that were switched from one to the other didn't get the word. So far we're holding steady and are 11 days out. A search on that website indicates that about half of the remaining Getaway stops in Stockholm are due to dock in the city, and the other half in Nynashamn. So - we'll report back on the 28th and see where we are. Either way, I'll be dancing at the Abba museum sometime mid-day with my kids! (Assuming the weather doesn't get us somewhere!)

Oh - and if we do miss Warnemunde long enough to have to skip Berlin, or any other port, we'll be disappointed. But I also suspect with two teenagers in tow, they won't complain much about having a day or two off.

There is sometimes discussion about taking the trip to Berlin. Trust me, there will be no disappointment going there especially with two teens if they have any interest in history.

That's what my friend told me also - but didn't post it as I wasn't sure how accurate it was. She said the GPS was jammed. Interesting that you heard the same thing.

Be prepared to get in long lines on the Getaway.

We were on the transatlantic with two canceled ports and Southampton a mess. Getaway is a poorly managed ship with officers not capable of dealing with issues. We had been on several NCL cruises and this was the worst of all. Loved the cabin and the crew but I don't think we will be on another mega ship for a long time.

Still working on the trip report, on Southampton now.

Be prepared to get in long lines on the Getaway.

We were on the transatlantic with two canceled ports and Southampton a mess. Getaway is a poorly managed ship with officers not capable of dealing with issues. We had been on several NCL cruises and this was the worst of all. Loved the cabin and the crew but I don't think we will be on another mega ship for a long time.

Still working on the trip report, on Southampton now.

Have you read the thread entitled something like TA Most Mishandled Cruise ever? The TA events have been documented . According to the Baltic cruise reports, things have gotten better. The only long line reported is day one in SPB getting off. People have waited 40 min to an hour. The second day in SPB is

quicker getting off.

Edited by Seminole1975

Interesting but still:

1. It's correct

2. It's a rumor that has taken on a life of its own fueled by pax debating this in the atrium

3. It's somewhere between true and not true

4. It's what ncl is telling their pax on the ship to take the blame off themselves

My take...2 ..3...or 4. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting but still:

1. It's correct

2. It's a rumor that has taken on a life of its own fueled by pax debating this in the atrium

3. It's somewhere between true and not true

4. It's what ncl is telling their pax on the ship to take the blame off themselves

My take...2 ..3...or 4. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Except that the person who got the information you quoted is from her son, who is EMPLOYED on the ship. Not a random passenger who overheard something in the atrium, nor something NCL told their passengers to take the blame off themselves.

I'm curious, what does your son do on the ship? I wonder if we met him!

We did this cruise May 25th and it was fantastic. We were never scheduled to dock in Stockholm, but Gothenburg. The dock in Gothenburg is a cargo port and not set up for cruise passenger traffic but there were at least 30 coaches lined up to take us into the city upon disembarkation. It was a lovely city to tour for the day and we wound up waiting about 30 minutes to board a coach into town. I really think we lucked out with our weather-even St. Petersburg was warm and sunny.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Hi! His name is Kurt. He is in Million Dollar Quartet and plays Carl Perkins. This is his 2nd contract on the Getaway.

We saw his show and enjoyed it very much. We did the TA and the first Baltic. He must have come on board for the first Baltic because we saw the show with a different cast on the TA. We enjoyed both.

Oh that makes sense .........the Russians did it lol and his sources are ???

Oh that makes sense .........the Russians did it lol and his sources are ???

He did not say exactly who told him, but as noted above, he is a cast member/crew member and works on the ship. I might ask him the next time I talk to him exactly where he got his information and who told him.

On this thread, someone mentioned that the Getaway was late leaving SPB. I texted Kurt to see if he knew why and he did not know at that time. Some folks have some anxiety about this new cruise itinerary. I thought finding out what was going on might help. The next day I actually spoke with Kurt, he brought it up, and this is what he said. He was fairly incredulous himself.

As noted in the thread above, Putin was in the new soccer stadium near the port. I do not doubt that the Russians have the technology. Believe it or not. I thought folks would be interested in what crew members were being told.

We saw his show and enjoyed it very much. We did the TA and the first Baltic. He must have come on board for the first Baltic because we saw the show with a different cast on the TA. We enjoyed both.

Great! Yes, he got on for the first Baltic cruise. It's a fun show! So glad you liked it.

Hi all!

I was on the May 25th Baltic cruise which thankfully went smoothly & also had great weather, well except for a shower in Helsinki.

Wow, that technology is amazing for the Russians to disable the ship!!

Seminole1975 ~ thanks for the info. Your son did a great job!! I loved the show so much I went twice & if it had been on the next night would have gone again!!

Have a nice evening.

~ Jo ~ :)

Every time I read this it sounds as utterly ridiculous as it did the first time I saw it. While it's absolutely prudent to remember that s\ happens, ignoring the ports when booking a cruise is absurd.

I disagree, we never sail for the ports as we know how easily it can always change. We sail for the experience of being at sea and look at the ports as a bonus.

Pat

I still want to know why the line was so long in Warnemunde to get back on the ship? Anyone know?

We were on the Getaway for the June 3 Baltic cruise and had the same issue getting back on the ship in Warnemunde. It had been a rainy, miserable day, and then cleared up in the late afternoon. so lots of folks got off the ship to enjoy the lovely little town and waterfront. When we returned (in good time to make the "all aboard") there was an enormous line outside waiting to get through the terminal, and then, once inside, it looked like the lines at Disney World, but far less organized. We had to go through the metal detectors there, and from what we heard, it was a security issue, as there had been bomb threats at a couple train stations in Berlin that day. When you combine the folks who were out enjoying the pretty weather, with those returning (delayed) from Berlin excursions, you have some pretty big logistics problems. We saw Getaway personnel standing around rather helplessly, and there was no organization in the terminal at all... just a crush of people going through 4 metal detectors, with no discernible lines. It was a total mess, and took the better part of an hour to get through.

Disembarking at St. Petersburg on the first day was hideous, also; more than 45 minutes in line. Second day was a breeze.

Put in is one of those guys who does things because he can. This is not surprising at all. I will not visit Russia while he is alive.

We were told while in SPB that Putin has been known to simply shut down streets when he is in town, making the usually bad traffic unbearable. Our guide rolled her eyes when discussing him.

Hi! His name is Kurt. He is in Million Dollar Quartet and plays Carl Perkins. This is his 2nd contract on the Getaway.

I'm so glad you posted! We were on the June 3 Getaway cruise and saw Million Dollar Quartet. I've seen tons of shows - on ships, in Vegas, national touring companies, and many on Broadway. We have friends who are performers, our daughters danced for years, and we know when something is really good or not. We loved Burn the Floor (fantastic dancers!!!) but I can honestly say that Million Dollar Quartet is the very best show we've ever seen on a ship, and beats most of the rest we've seen elsewhere, too. Your son was terrific, as was each of the performers. I loved it so much that I researched the cast's backgrounds after we returned!

Please tell your son how much we enjoyed the show; it was truly fantastic and he is a big talent. Best show ever!!!

Have you read the thread entitled something like TA Most Mishandled Cruise ever? The TA events have been documented . According to the Baltic cruise reports, things have gotten better. The only long line reported is day one in SPB getting off. People have waited 40 min to an hour. The second day in SPB is

quicker getting off.

It didnt take that long to get off the ship itself in SPB...the long lines occurred at Passport Control. There were only a few windows open at first, then as more people got off, additional windows opened and people were moved to the shorter lines. As with any line, some people were better prepared than others. The agents would take your passport and tour documents, look at you very closely while holding up your passport photo and then examine the name on the tour document to the name on the passport. It was not a warm and fuzzy experience and did take about 45 minutes, depending on which line you were in. Doing this for 3800 passengers takes time. Tour operators are used to this procedure and didn't leave until everyone on the tour was there (I only had 9 on my tour so not so bad).

Million Dollar Quartet was great! I would have loved to have seen it more than once. Congrats to your son and the rest of the cast.