Young adult drinking

yogachick18

So I am 18 and my mother is happily signing the waiver so I can drink on my cruise to Bermuda. From what I've read, this privilege can be taken away if you abuse it. What does that mean, specifically? If a young adult is a "seasoned drinker" who has a moderate tolerance, are they still only allowed to order one or two drinks at dinner or something?

So I am 18 and my mother is happily signing the waiver so I can drink on my cruise to Bermuda. From what I've read, this privilege can be taken away if you abuse it. What does that mean, specifically? If a young adult is a "seasoned drinker" who has a moderate tolerance, are they still only allowed to order one or two drinks at dinner or something?

Bar crews have specific cruise line policy to follow on this matter. They may refuse to serve you alcoholic drinks if your situation does not conform to that.

You realize you'll be able to drink only beer and wine. No UBP, you'll be charged for individual drinks plus 18%.

Drinking age in Bermuda is 18, so you'll be able to drink spirits, etc. Try the Dark n Stormy and the Rum Swizzle.

Cheers!

Pretty simple really. Anyone on board can have their alcohol privileges taken away if they don't act responsibly. In other words they are pretty tolerant and want you to have a good time just don't get falling down drunk, abusive to others or make a fool of yourself.

The basic difference is for over 21, they can refuse to serve you but generally have to serve you the next day, for example. For someone with a waiver, if you cause a problem they can cancel the waiver and you don't get served rest of cruise.

The basic difference is for over 21, they can refuse to serve you but generally have to serve you the next day, for example. For someone with a waiver, if you cause a problem they can cancel the waiver and you don't get served rest of cruise.

That's actually not true. Just because you are over 21 doesn't mean they won't take away your right to purchase alcohol if you have caused trouble while intoxicated.

Link to NCL's Guest Conduct Policy, you have to scroll down the page a little bit to get to the "Alcohol section":

https://www.ncl.com/no/en/faq/guest-conduct-policy

Quote:

"Guests who violate any alcohol policy, including but not limited to underage drinking; providing alcohol to minors or young adults; possessing, concealing or attempting to conceal alcoholic items in their luggage, when boarding, or whilst on board; engaging in alcohol drinking games; or failing to consume alcohol responsibly, will be considered for discipline under the provisions of this policy." End of quote.

And of course - the "discipline" could be anything from being banned alcohol for the rest of the day or the rest of the cruise, or even to be "thrown off the ship", it all depends on how serious they would consider the violation to be in each case. If you behave "normal" you wouldn't have any problems, if you decide to "go wild" then you just have to face the consequences whatever they might be... It is entirely up to you if you want to risk anything or not.

You realize you'll be able to drink only beer and wine. No UBP, you'll be charged for individual drinks plus 18%.

Cheers!

If the waiver is signed then the Corks and Caps package is available. Last summer and last week my daughter was offered an upgrade from the soda package when we signed the waiver. You just have to pay the difference in gratuity.

It's far less common to see a cruise length ban for over 21s. You have to really try for them to do that level of cut off. The tolerance level is less for the waiver consumers.

That's actually not true. Just because you are over 21 doesn't mean they won't take away your right to purchase alcohol if you have caused trouble while intoxicated.

If the waiver is signed then the Corks and Caps package is available. Last summer and last week my daughter was offered an upgrade from the soda package when we signed the waiver. You just have to pay the difference in gratuity.

Your experience is not in alignment with the Corks and Caps Package Terms and Conditions...

https://www.ncl.com/terms/corks-and-caps-package

Not saying it didn't happen... just saying it isn't supposed to.

Your experience is not in alignment with the Corks and Caps Package Terms and Conditions...

https://www.ncl.com/terms/corks-and-caps-package

Not saying it didn't happen... just saying it isn't supposed to.

If you go just by only T&C's of the package then the waiver is also not valid. But as seen below they refer to the alcohol policy which allows 18 and over to purchase and consume beer and wine with a waiver.

"You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase any alcoholic package and to consume alcohol. See the terms of our guest alcohol policy"

If you go just by only T&C's of the package then the waiver is also not valid. But as seen below they refer to the alcohol policy which allows 18 and over to purchase and consume beer and wine with a waiver.

"You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase any alcoholic package and to consume alcohol. See the terms of our guest alcohol policy"

I don't disagree. Many of NCL communications are very poorly phrased.

Drinking age in Bermuda is 18, so you'll be able to drink spirits, etc. Try the Dark n Stormy and the Rum Swizzle.

Cheers!

I will take your advice and try them :D:D

Same as with anyone...if you LOOK drunk, you will be "cut off".

I've never witnessed it. On our last cruise, tberme was a middle aged woman propped up barely awake next to the he elevators. I signed the waver for my 19 and 20 year olds. I think they might have had 3 beers each - I told them that they would be paying their own bar bills.

I've never witnessed it. On our last cruise, tberme was a middle aged woman propped up barely awake next to the he elevators.

Was that me? LOL

ive never been cut off. and ive been pretty buzzed/plastered on more than one occasion, but i will say ive never fallen down or thrown up.

i think also that even if the waiver is signed, your mom should be very cautious about buying drinks for you beyond the beer and wine you are allowed to have. to do so could get her privleges revoked as well. you didnt indicate that this would happen, but in the event you were thinking about it, be prepared.

i honestly think the 21 drinking age is dumb anyway. you can own a bar at 18, but you cant drink in it? you can fight in combat for your country but you cant drink? IMO, it encourages kids to sneak booze because of the thrill of doing something they arent supposed to do.

I have yet to have seen anyone cut off... I would assume if you were a belligerent drunk they may. They allow people to get black out drunk and still serve them I've witnessed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oops! :D To bring it back on topic then...

To the OP, I don't actually have any shipboard experience as I'm about to embark on my first ever cruise.

However, I have read most of the T&Cs and didn't see any mention of 18-20 year olds being restricted to any specific number of drinks. As has been mentioned, you are restricted to wine and beer, and to not getting completely intoxicated.

Hope you have a fun cruise. :cool:

OP, we took our three boys on an NCL cruise when the older two were 18 and 20. The 18 year old was a seasoned drinker like yourself. The waiver we signed allowed them to have beer and wine but we didn't allow them charging privileges with their sign and sail cards so they had to be with us to drink. That wasn't so much to control their alcohol consumption as it was to control MY bill at the end of the cruise. :D

Enjoy your cruise, enjoy a few beers or wine, but watch out for your parents' pocket book!